Shop Floor Talk

Shop Floor Talk (https://www.shopfloortalk.com/forums/index.php)
-   Blacksmithing & Forming (https://www.shopfloortalk.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=35)
-   -   Free Anvil (https://www.shopfloortalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=50868)

NOBLNG 05-10-2019 05:39 PM

Free Anvil

4 Attachment(s)
My neighbor is moving and gave me this anvil. I realize after a short google search that it is a low quality unit, however up until now I have been using the back of sliding jaw on my vise as a mini anvil...so free is well worth it. It looks like the horn has been repaired at some point but I am really wondering about the uh... ugliness on the body. Does it look like a repair, or a really bad casting. I will sand blast the area when I get time to have a better look. Opinions anyone? Thanks!

Whitetrash 05-10-2019 06:36 PM

I think you summed up the situation in your description. Free, did not have an anvil before would seem to add up to a minimum %100 improvement over your previous status :D:D;)

Shade Tree Welder 05-10-2019 07:15 PM

I would lean toward bad casting, but the price was fair.

greywynd 05-10-2019 08:19 PM

Looks like a poor casting. Likely a sand mold and the sand wasn’t filled/packed properly.

Sent from my iPhone using ShopFloorTalk mobile app

milomilo 05-10-2019 08:46 PM

A little welding can fix up the casting issue. Price was right!!!!!

midmosandblasting 05-11-2019 12:19 AM

Any Anvil is better than no anvil .I vote casting .

NOBLNG 05-11-2019 08:10 AM

Thanks all. I think I will sandblast it to get a better look first. If it is a bad casting it should be OK to just grind the extra flash off and paint it? I don't think it is worth doing the welding to repair it? Maybe a touch of body filler or epoxy before paint.:o

milomilo 05-11-2019 08:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NOBLNG (Post 735915)
Thanks all. I think I will sandblast it to get a better look first. If it is a bad casting it should be OK to just grind the extra flash off and paint it? I don't think it is worth doing the welding to repair it? Maybe a touch of body filler or epoxy before paint.:o

Turning down an opportunity to weld????:eek::eek::eek::eek:

mccutter 05-11-2019 11:54 AM

I have a Chinesium Olympia 5" vise that they must have used pea gravel for casting sand. They then spread a Bondo-like substance over the outside of the casting, then painted it. :rolleyes:

I also have some press plates picked up from HF that were similarly surface treated. :rolleyes: This was noted upon first use! :mad: I now "protect" the surface with a 6"x6"x1/4" steel plate...

cutter 05-11-2019 12:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NOBLNG (Post 735915)

Why on earth would you paint an anvil? You been watching Martha Stewart? :)