Shop Floor Talk

Shop Floor Talk (https://www.shopfloortalk.com/forums/index.php)
-   Blacksmithing & Forming (https://www.shopfloortalk.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=35)
-   -   Kitchen knife wanted (https://www.shopfloortalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=50715)

randydupree 03-24-2019 09:08 AM

Kitchen knife wanted

I have a friend thats helped me a lot in recent years.
I have a hand made kitchen knife that i use daily,and she loves it.
My wife gave it to me for xmas (its not going anywhere!)
But i would like to buy her a knife for kitchen use.
Anybody have one for sale?

midmosandblasting 03-24-2019 09:13 AM

Picture Randy .

LKeithR 03-24-2019 01:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by midmosandblasting (Post 733519)
Picture Randy .

Yeah, there are hundreds of possibilities for sure. If you want a really good general purpose chef's knife I'd look at German or Japanese products--they make some fantastic stuff. If you want something really special look at some of the ceramic knives that are out there. They are crazy sharp and hold an edge extremely well...

Matt Shade 03-24-2019 10:47 PM

I don't have anything finished for sale, but could make something fairly soon. I'm not really doing anything in stainless steel right now but could forge something in carbon steel.
I suppose I could buy a stainless blade blank and make a handle for you as well. If you private message me with your budget and an idea of what you are looking for we can try to figure something out.

randydupree 03-25-2019 08:59 AM

I don't want a store bought knife,i feel like a custom knife just says son much more.
This lady helped us for weeks doing hurricane cleanup,hell,she and her hubby were here for a few months.
I bought him some tools,and she loves the knife Carol got me for my bday a few years ago.
Shes way to cheap to buy a good knife,and i want to giver her one.

Matt Shade 03-25-2019 01:56 PM

The biggest hangup on stainless steel is I have to send it out for heat treating and I don't have any in the shop right now. By the time I order it, make a blade, send it out, have it sent back etc. it would add about 3 weeks and $75 to the cost.
Carbon steel I have in the shop and can heat treat myself but it requires more care by the user.
There are a lot of kitchen knife blanks available to pick from in various levels of quality, that could have custom handles added as well.

dubby 03-25-2019 03:19 PM

If there's any cost savings by doing a multiple run, I might be interested ;) .

I don't have anybody cool to give an all-purpose kitchen knife to, but would love to have one. LadyD uses/abuses those ceramic jobs from HF. I have a 'set' of stuff we earned by buying way too many groceries chasing free bling. I have to run them through the sharpener every time they find their way into the sink to be cleaned. Pure crap. They're stainless and still rust, so.

Matt Shade 03-26-2019 02:16 PM

Maybe we can come up with something :) I haven't done many kitchen knives so I will have to sit down with a pencil and see if I get any ideas.

cutter 03-26-2019 02:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Matt Shade (Post 733701)
Maybe we can come up with something :) I haven't done many kitchen knives so I will have to sit down with a pencil and see if I get any ideas.

Having seen the one you made earlier this month I wouldn't want anything else if I was in the hunt. :)
Seems to me that it just about fit Randy's opening request, too.
However, I've been getting by just fine with my old Chicago Cutlery set that I've had since about 1980-81, made before they started turning out junk.
While it doesn't rank in the top tier by any means it has held up very well. I've used the filet knife only for slicing bread, never had to even touch up the edge. Same with the chef's knife. Most of the wear has been to the "butcher"knife & paring knife.

allessence 05-01-2019 09:03 AM

Looking forward to the process and results. I've done stainless in the forge before and it turned out ok, but ideally as pointed out needs ideally to be done more controlled for optimum results.