Shop Floor Talk

Shop Floor Talk (https://www.shopfloortalk.com/forums/index.php)
-   Shop & Safety (https://www.shopfloortalk.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=22)
-   -   Tractor shed / shop expansion (https://www.shopfloortalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=48524)

rustythe4x4 10-15-2017 09:17 PM

Tractor shed / shop expansion

5 Attachment(s)
This project has been long planned, and finally took shape. My tractor(s) have lived outside their entire lives, but we are all getting older, and like a little comfort. I finally settled on the location, which is the west side of my little shop. The new shed is 20 feet wide and 36 feet long. Pole style, reclaimed tin, dirt/gravel floor. This whole project is budget minded, the only new material used was for the poles/purlins and nailers for the roof. Even the rafters are reclaimed wood I beams.
I took lots of pictures during the build, so this is picture heavy. I still have to tin the sides, but will likely finish that next summer, same as the floor.

I will apologize for the twisted pictures, I still am not sure why they want to rotate. I would attempt to fix them, but I have to upload them one at a time thanks to my "amazing" internet service.

1 - flagged area mostly to see if I could work around the new building and still get to the other building.
2 - Buddy came over with his Bobcat, I rented the auger.
3 - Set up the batter boards, squared everything up.
4 - setback - old Bobcat, new attachment
5 - Made a run early the next morning and got the correct connectors for the Bobcat.

rustythe4x4 10-15-2017 09:51 PM

5 Attachment(s)
6 - Digging went amazingly easy, we were expecting more/bigger rocks
7 - cleaned out the hole bottoms with my spoon shovel to a final depth of about 4 feet.
8 - Finally, the first pole! They are pressure treated 2x6, with end coat on the bottom 6 feet, then a secret concoction splashed on when they went in the hole.
9 - Its a wall!
10 - Looking like it should, coming together.

milomilo 10-15-2017 10:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rustythe4x4 (Post 696252)
6 - Digging went amazingly easy, we were expecting more/bigger rocks
7 - cleaned out the hole bottoms with my spoon shovel to a final depth of about 4 feet.
8 - Finally, the first pole! They are pressure treated 2x6, with end coat on the bottom 6 feet, then a secret concoction splashed on when they went in the hole.
9 - Its a wall!
10 - Looking like it should, coming together.

Looking good. Needing to do the same thing. What is the secret sauce?

rustythe4x4 10-15-2017 10:06 PM

5 Attachment(s)
11 - I beams being repurposed as rafters.
12 - Rustyjr and his buddy decided Rustysr shouldn't be climbing up and down ladders with bum knees, so they put up the header and helped set rafters.
13 - Good progress for a few hours work. Header up and a few rafters set.
14 - Gratuitous pic of the refreshment of choice in the land of the living skies. :p
15 - Rafters are up!

rustythe4x4 10-15-2017 10:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by milomilo (Post 696253)
Looking good. Needing to do the same thing. What is the secret sauce?

Looks like it is mostly used oil, but one cant say for certain. :D

rustythe4x4 10-15-2017 10:31 PM

5 Attachment(s)
16 - Sheeting the rafter ends for rigidity and ease of tin installation later.
17 - Rafters are at 2 foot centers, and the nailer/purlins (2x4) are also at 2 foot centers, mostly for snow loading.
18 - Tin is on! Well, except for a half sheet a the end I have to trim yet.
19 - Test fit. The old White is pretty happy to be mostly out of the weather.
20 - Todays progress - Got the end wall attached to the roof, plumb, square, and lined up!

The build was started about a month ago and other than Rustyjr's buddy coming to help a couple times, and the buddy with the Bobcat drilling holes and setting up batter boards with me, it was all built mostly by MrsRusty and myself, and of course Rustyjr when he could afford the time. Pretty proud of the crew. :o
I still don't think we will get the tin on the walls this fall yet, but we will see.

cutter 10-16-2017 12:23 AM

Good show, Rusty. http://www.shopfloortalk.com/forums/...ons/icon14.gif

I can think of very few activities that yield more satisfaction than a project like this - building almost any kind of "permanent" structure that increases your enjoyment & the usefulness of your shop or equipment.
Building my own little backyard shop, even though I had little to do with the actual construction, was a magical time for me. Just seeing the dreams of years finally coming into existence was so much fun. :)

I wish we had a one size fits all solution for the rotating pictures. I saw this coming as soon as smart phones started to become the weapon of choice.
At first I hoped that the manufacturers would present an easy fix with some kind of manufacturing standard for the cameras. I think they like it this way because they prefer their dominant social media platforms like Facebook over our old fossil-type forums, so why should they help us out?

Maybe this is a good time for me to clear something else up.
In the first place, we try very hard to not even give the impression that ShopFloorTalk has moderators. For that reason, I dislike dicking with or editing any member's words or photos.

But when this first began to be a problem, I tried to be helpful by Up-righting the photos and replacing the crooked ones. I ran into a big problem right away:
Unless the twisted picture was number 5 of 5, I have to save, remove and re-upload several of them because of the way the remove/replace utility works in vBulletin.

For instance, if pictures numbered 1, 2, 4 & 5 are fine but #3 is sideways and I remove #3 and rotate it in Irfanview, when I replace it, it becomes picture #5 by default (which seriously screws up your ordered descriptions) unless I also remove & replace #4 and #5 as well. If I need to edit #2 only, I still have to remove and replace 3, 4 & 5 to maintain the correct order. Replacing #1 requires removing and reloading all 5 pictures.
And so forth.
So, what might appear to be a 3 minute chore can easily turn into a half hour, or even more if most of the pictures need to be rotated.

That much tinkering around with your threads is not only a lot of work but also is highly subject to error and I do not like to piss people off by trying to be helpful. Once I have removed the photos, even if I rename them numerically in the correct order, it is still too easy to reload them in the wrong order, or to screw up something else, such as picture quality. To be as safe as possible I would need to take a screenshot of the post or the Manage Attachments window, or something.

This also tends to make me nervous. I spend a lot of my time here with the intention of enjoying myself, not screwing up my natural sunny disposition. :)
In other words, it far exceeds my pay grade and even the depth of my native benevolence. :D

rustythe4x4 10-16-2017 07:40 AM

Thanks Cutter. It is rewarding, isn't it!

As far as the pictures, I was hoping the apology was enough, and was not expecting anything to be fixed. People can surely rotate their phones or computer screens when viewing!
I even started the thread from my computer rather than my phone, but grew quickly frustrated with miniscule upload speeds that would time out the server unless they were uploaded one at a time!

This board is still a mainstay of my Internet diet, and enjoy the interaction and information better than the book of faces and such...

greywynd 10-16-2017 08:11 AM

Looks good!! Even having a roof over equipment makes a huge difference!!

Time for a new signature line!!

Ironman 10-16-2017 09:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cutter (Post 696260)
I wish we had a one size fits all solution for the rotating pictures. I saw this coming as soon as smart phones started to become the weapon of choice.
At first I hoped that the manufacturers would present an easy fix with some kind of manufacturing standard for the cameras. I think they like it this way because they prefer their dominant social media platforms like Facebook over our old fossil-type forums, so why should they help us out?

:D

I think the beer picture was photoshopped to prevent showing the beer spilling out:D:devil: