Shop Floor Talk

Shop Floor Talk (https://www.shopfloortalk.com/forums/index.php)
-   SFT Information (https://www.shopfloortalk.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=26)
-   -   SFT Mobile (https://www.shopfloortalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=29724)

markttu 05-26-2011 11:49 AM

SFT Mobile

Just FYI for those who would like to browse SFT while on the go we now have a mobile app for both the iPhone and the Droid.

You can download the Android app here and you can download the iOS app for iPhone / iPod Touch / iPad here.

Caliber 05-26-2011 10:05 PM

It's easy to do, I just opened up SFT on my smartphone internet browser, it brought up a note that SFT has a APP. Just click on it to download.

Barn Owl 05-31-2011 10:29 AM

I tried it and it seemed a bit less than just browsing the internet on my iphone. I much prefer accessing from the internet, I get the full version of SFT rather than the mountain tops. Not sure if I did something wrong but it seemed to be not as easy to work with.

markttu 05-31-2011 10:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Barn Owl (Post 428313)
I tried it and it seemed a bit less than just browsing the internet on my iphone.

Yes, it will show a little different format and not quite as much info in the app. People's locations don't show up and their signatures are off by default (though you can enable the signatures). That's on purpose as its supposed to be streamlined for viewing on a small screen and getting rid of some of the "fluff" is supposed to help... maybe too much :o

Quote:

I much prefer accessing from the internet, I get the full version of SFT rather than the mountain tops.

I feel the same on my iPad. There the screen is large enough I'd rather get to have the full SFT experience rather than the slimmed down one. :cool:

Quote:

Not sure if I did something wrong but it seemed to be not as easy to work with.

That surprises me a bit. What did you find difficult to work with? I'm only asking because thus far I've found several things easier to work with in the app vs the full web version...

Barn Owl 05-31-2011 10:59 AM

I am not a teckie, so once I learn something new, that is the way I like to do it unless the old way is cumbersome then I prefer the new way. I have an iphone with a big screen so I am not restricted by the full version running on my phone.
When I log onto SFT the first thing I do is go to the "New Posts" tabs and read there, I do not hang out in one particular area. I enjoy all of them. I did not see a New Posts tab on the app just forum tabs. also having to log into forum runner just seemed to be one more step that if I just log into the full version I would avoid altogether.
I guess if you are accessing from a smaller mobile device then it might be better to use the app.

markttu 05-31-2011 11:15 AM

You might check out the "current" tab in the app. It mimics the new posts function in the web version. Also once you log in to the app once it should remember you so all you have to do in the future is tapp on the app icon and it takes you back to where you last were (ie current, or in my case I hang out in subscribed threads mostly).

Sent from my iPhone using SFT

unfinished 06-02-2011 09:05 PM

Posting from the app on my Droid. Works fine so far. Thanks

Edit: fixed sentence. autocomplete sucks.

Fyi: not immediately obvious how to edit a post, but press blue checkmark to right of post to edit among other things.

partsgurut 06-10-2011 05:39 PM

I don't suppose there is an option for the older blackberry's is there. I can't find an option for my curve online anywhere. I need to upgrade this phone someday but the darn thing works so well for everything else I do with it.

markttu 06-10-2011 05:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by partsgurut (Post 430439)
I don't suppose there is an option for the older blackberry's is there. I can't find an option for my curve online anywhere. I need to upgrade this phone someday but the darn thing works so well for everything else I do with it.

Unfortunately I wouldn't even have a clue where to start :o

markttu 08-02-2011 03:35 PM

FYI, I've installed a server side update for the app. No one should see anything change, but if the app starts mis-behaving please post here and let me know :cool:

LW Hiway 08-23-2011 05:32 PM

Mark as I've just started using this new phone and as soon as someone shows me how to store names & numbers with address's, I'll get someone to show me how to connect to and use the www on it.

For the first week, I turned off the ringer as I couldn't figure out how to unlock the key pad to answer a call. :rolleyes:

markttu 08-23-2011 11:14 PM

So what phone did you get?

LW Hiway 08-26-2011 03:11 AM

Quote:

So what phone did you get?
An LG cosmos. When I first got into this cell phone dither, I/we had a contract with CenturyTel communications. Over this past July, Verison bought my areas service from Century and now I'm with another phone that I'm trying to figure out how to use.

The manuals on these things always leave me wanting to pull hair and have the alcohol I seldom drink.:)

Heck, the second phone I had for 3 years before Tom Z. showed me how to increase the ring tone volumn. I could not hear it ring, nor could I figure out how to increase it.:rolleyes: Cell phones are just not my brightest bulb in the room.:o

madam X 08-28-2011 08:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LW Hiway (Post 441929)
Cell phones are just not my brightest bulb in the room.:o

Mine either. I don't even have voicemail. :)

TommyA 08-28-2011 06:49 PM

About a year ago I decided it was time to upgrade to a smart phone. I bought a IPhone 4 and found there was a very small learning curve to getting a max usage with it. I believe that Apple made sure that even the less tech savy people could use all of the advantages from the standard cell phone and I think they got it right. The users guide contains 244 pages and is available in PDF format for easier keyword searching.
It's great for proving trivia questions(for a beer) at the bar.

Pat 09-10-2011 05:25 PM

The Blackberry Curve croaked last night after being introduced to laundry wash and dry cycles. Even though the Curve is considered a smart phone, I guess it still was unable to use the SFT app.

Today when I got a new cell phone, I got an HTC Merge which is an Android phone. Even though I read all the posts on this thread, I am still light years behind LW when it comes to cell phones or computers. Can someone give me a step by step tutorial on how I can download the SFT app and get it up and running ................thanks.

markttu 09-10-2011 05:36 PM

I think all you have to do is visit the site from your phone's browser and it should ask you if you want to download and install the app. I don't know if that's how it works on a Droid, but I know it does for an iPhone. If not then I think you can click the link in my first post and get the Android phone software (or whatever they call it) to do something :confused:

Sorry, I'm not much help on the Droids... :o

Pat 09-19-2011 09:00 AM

Last night I downloaded the SFT App and to my surprise had to agree to some terms before it would load. Now that I have downloaded the App, I need to find out where it is hiding. I looked through everything where I thought it might be. If I download an App, I would think it would be somewhere within the Icon that is marked "App's"

Is there a way someone could post a picture of what the App looks like (if it is the same for everyone). I am assuming that somewhere on it there will be the letters SFT. I have looked at everything in the HTC Merge manual that deals with App's thinking there must be something about downloading and saving App's..........but if it is there, I do not see it. It is no fun being technologically challenged, and very embarrassing when I have to have my 11 year old niece help me get my phone internet straightened out. I would really like to have the ability to get on SFT on my phone when at work when I have a problem that could be solved by the SFT knowledge bank...........thanks.

markttu 09-19-2011 09:17 AM

1 Attachment(s)
The icon should look like this

markttu 09-19-2011 09:18 AM

1 Attachment(s)
When you launch the app on Android it should look like this

Pat 09-19-2011 10:24 AM

Mark,

Thanks for the pictures. I went through all the apps again but came up empty. The app has to be somewhere because the program is somewhat working. I was able to access SFT by using the history list in Google, then putting in my password which it accepted. I posted and sent a short test message on this page but for some reason it has not made it here. I will do some further checking for the app............thanks again.

markttu 09-19-2011 10:48 AM

No problem. Sorry I'm not more help... having never used an Android phone makes helping a bit more difficult :o

Pat 09-19-2011 02:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by markttu (Post 445577)
No problem. Sorry I'm not more help... having never used an Android phone makes helping a bit more difficult :o

Mark,

It is not your fault that I can't operate my own phone. These types of things are a challenge to me let alone trying to do something on a phone that I have barely learned to turn on and off.

A little while ago I did find the SFT app in a place I have already checked a couple of times. Only difference this time is that I shut the phone off and charged it because it was almost dead. It does not make any sense that the phone would have to be re-booted just to load an app, but evidently that must be how this thing works............maybe not.

Anyway's I put in my password and can check out most of the SFT sections except "for members only", and still can't post/reply to messages. I will tinker with it to see what I am overlooking.

cutter 09-19-2011 06:32 PM

Sounds like you're viewing SFT as a guest instead of a registered member, Pat.
Find the log in tab and log in using your password - and remember to check "remember me". :)

Pat 09-20-2011 03:19 PM

cutter,

Last night on break I found your post and I believe you are correct that I was a guest. I then logged on and was able to get into the members only area, but when I logged on I was not given the "remember me" option. I will have to play around with it more to see what I can find............thanks.

ECAVE 12-14-2011 08:35 AM

Just dl the app. Seems to work well. Good job.

markttu 09-19-2012 08:25 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Test. I'm trying to learn how photos from the app are handled...

Sent from my iPhone using SFT

Scotts 09-23-2012 07:07 PM

New to me phone. I am posting this from the PC.

Got a Droid Bionic from the place I draw a check from and got the app downloaded. I like it better than the iPhone app so far. The droid is a much bigger screen phone. It is also much newer than the other phone. The Droid remembers who I am and all seems well I'll see about using it a bit more and post back.

And with the Droid I can access my server I have at the house. :) Never did figure that out on the iPhone.

Scott

madam X 09-23-2012 07:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Scotts (Post 506509)

And with the Droid I can access my server I have at the house. :)

How cool is that!? :)

markttu 02-13-2019 09:35 PM

Testing... attaching images from iPhone app. https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/201...72d0108927.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using ShopFloorTalk mobile app

markttu 02-13-2019 09:36 PM

Do NOT do this.

Test 2https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/201...9125b6df37.jpg

markttu 02-13-2019 09:36 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Use the "paperclip" icon to attach pictures in thumbnail form.

Test 3Attachment 149369

greywynd 02-14-2019 01:12 PM

I’ll be sure to use the paperclip the next while and see what happens. Thanks markttu!

markttu 06-08-2019 12:30 PM

Testing 1, 2, 3...

midmosandblasting 06-08-2019 01:53 PM

Thank You Mark . I was having withdrawal pains . Starting to panic ,:devil:

greywynd 06-08-2019 06:14 PM

Tapatalk did an update for iOs again....I can’t log in that way again. Using my browser now, not nearly as nice on the phone though. ☹️

markttu 06-08-2019 06:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by greywynd (Post 737156)
Tapatalk did an update for iOs again....I can’t log in that way again. Using my browser now, not nearly as nice on the phone though. ☹️

Hmmm... that’s odd. I’m using the latest version of the SFT app and it’s working fine. Maybe try deleting the app and reinstalling it? Or possibly try resetting your SFT password?

markttu 06-08-2019 06:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by midmosandblasting (Post 737144)
Thank You Mark . I was having withdrawal pains . Starting to panic ,:devil:

Sorry it wasn’t working for as long as it was. I try to catch these things quicker...

greywynd 06-09-2019 01:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by markttu (Post 737158)
Hmmm... that’s odd. I’m using the latest version of the SFT app and it’s working fine. Maybe try deleting the app and reinstalling it? Or possibly try resetting your SFT password?

Trying today from home and all seems good. Maybe it was an issue going through the hotel wifi.

Mark, thanks for keeping the lights on and the utilities going around here, we appreciate it!

markttu 06-10-2019 09:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by greywynd (Post 737188)
Trying today from home and all seems good. Maybe it was an issue going through the hotel wifi.

Mark, thanks for keeping the lights on and the utilities going around here, we appreciate it!

Glad it’s working now. Happy to keep the trons moving [emoji2]