Shop Floor Talk

Shop Floor Talk (https://www.shopfloortalk.com/forums/index.php)
-   Welding (https://www.shopfloortalk.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Kant Twist clamps (https://www.shopfloortalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=46438)

ericher69 07-26-2016 07:44 PM

Kant Twist clamps

1 Attachment(s)
Found these in an income property I recently purchased!

Including portable toolboxes full of machinist drill bits, taps, lubricants, tools etc etc

Sent from my iPhone using SFT

rock6.3 07-26-2016 07:53 PM

Congratulations!

YOU SUCK !!! :D

kiwi 07-26-2016 07:56 PM

So as is customary....

You suck!!!! :D

Lew Hartswick 07-26-2016 08:07 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Those are the handiest type of clamps. I've made a bunch of two sizes of them and did a series of pix and dwgs of the parts and fixtures to build them. Have sent the files to several folks but haven't heard of any of them actually building any.
...lew...

milomilo 07-26-2016 08:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lew Hartswick (Post 665733)
Those are the handiest type of clamps. I've made a bunch of two sizes of them and did a series of pix and dwgs of the parts and fixtures to build them. Have sent the files to several folks but haven't heard of any of them actually building any.
...lew...

What style thread did you use?

toprecycler 07-26-2016 09:15 PM

Quote:

Those are the handiest type of clamps. I've made a bunch of two sizes of them and did a series of pix and dwgs of the parts and fixtures to build them. Have sent the files to several folks but haven't heard of any of them actually building any. ...lew...

Guy at work that is taking welding and machining classes had to make one of these clamps in class. When he brought it to work he was surprised that I called it by name. But I have to say, I have a couple, and they will twist!

Brian

ericher69 07-26-2016 09:15 PM

Thanks I do suck!

ericher69 07-26-2016 09:16 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by ericher69 (Post 665743)
Thanks I do suck! Sent from my iPhone using SFT

Not organized yet by any means but still sweet find

Lew Hartswick 07-26-2016 09:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by milomilo (Post 665736)
What style thread did you use?

The (about 4 inch) ones I use 3/8-16 , the scaled down to about 2 inch ones I used 1/4-20 . Just used all-thread, figured I wasn't going to crank them "that" hard. :-)
...lew...

Lew Hartswick 07-26-2016 09:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by toprecycler (Post 665742)
But I have to say, I have a couple, and they will twist!

Brian

Yea I know a few people that can beak anything. :-)
...lew...

platypus20 07-27-2016 06:43 AM

I have about 6 to 8 of them, I hate them, I find them cumbersome and bulky, I'd rather use the small Bessy sliding c-lamps. The Bessy have more range and are more versatile.

digger doug 07-27-2016 07:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by toprecycler (Post 665742)
But I have to say, I have a couple, and they will twist!

Brian

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lew Hartswick (Post 665749)
Yea I know a few people that can beak anything. :-)
...lew...

I'm pretty sure the 'Kant twist" is meaning when you tighten a normal
"c" clamp, even with a swivel pad, the screw has a tendency to twist
the part.

Kant twist clamps provide even pressure, with no screw influence.

milomilo 07-27-2016 03:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by digger doug (Post 665766)
I'm pretty sure the 'Kant twist" is meaning when you tighten a normal
"c" clamp, even with a swivel pad, the screw has a tendency to twist
the part.

Kant twist clamps provide even pressure, with no screw influence.

I have a couple and that is why I like them.

digr 01-03-2019 05:15 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I never cared for them, this is my Kant twist clamp, it has come down in price it used to be $900 now its down to $800. I have had it for years from a yard sale for $8.00 and have only used it once. Now I can hardly lift it.:eek: 37 pounds

MetalWolf 01-03-2019 07:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by digr (Post 727604)
I never cared for them, this is my Kant twist clamp, it has come down in price it used to be $900 now its down to $800. I have had it for years from a yard sale for $8.00 and have only used it once. Now I can hardly lift it.:eek: 37 pounds

I have a couple of 12" clamps like that, came in a box of Irion workers gear.
the screw is only half the length of the clamp..... I gave 8 bucks each for them in an estate sale, not sure what type of work they were meant for, but, they do come in very handy for big stuff an you can wrench down on them an the screw and clamp does not tweak
Dam good "C", "Cee", "Si" clamps' :D:devil:

LKeithR 01-04-2019 01:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by platypus20 (Post 665764)
I have about 6 to 8 of them, I hate them, I find them cumbersome and bulky, I'd rather use the small Bessy sliding c-lamps. The Bessy have more range and are more versatile.

I agree. I know some people like them but I've never really taken to the Kant-Twist clamps--they do seem awkward to me. We love our Bessey clones--very versatile...

MetalWolf 01-04-2019 02:05 AM

Quote:

...lew...

Lew...….. I still plan on making some, Just have to muster the time an energy to do it, getting things like this done rite now... is hard... I am swamped which is good but also irritating because what time I have for my self I am just plain wore out... I will get some made

Dave Lee 01-04-2019 05:36 PM

In another life, I worked in a tool and die shop. They were handy when you had to clamp a piece to an angle plate on the surface grinder.

My old boss was a toolmaker from GE. He said someone actually, made a die to make the side plates and they made enough for the whole shop. Some how, every time the guys in the shop were running off a batch, he got left behind the door. I think it was more on purpose than by accident. He was such a thrower of bull.

Dave

clive 01-05-2019 12:39 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

...lew...

Took a while to get round to it but here it is, thanks Lew

MetalWolf 01-05-2019 01:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by clive (Post 727652)

Looks perrrty good Clive..... Very nice job, I hope when I get around to doing mine "as promised", to Lew for sending the plans... I hope it looks as good as yours...

clive 01-05-2019 04:47 AM

I rivetted it but I think if I make some bigger ones I will use bolts. I just used scrap and have another one nearly done but need some more 1/8 for one of the legs.

MetalWolf 01-05-2019 07:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by clive (Post 727660)
I rivetted it but I think if I make some bigger ones I will use bolts. I just used scrap and have another one nearly done but need some more 1/8 for one of the legs.

Clive..... One of the many I don't know what ill do with them estate sale items I bought, Was five thousand S.S. 6mm. socket head cap screws.

And after watching some of the Kant twist clamp videos, they might be the perfect item to use...

Of course the clamp size will have to prolly be in the 6" up range in order to use them, But, I have plenty to use up.

But being I don't have enough skill at this time to cut my own threads I'll have to go with some all thread instead.

Lew Hartswick 01-05-2019 10:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by clive (Post 727652)

You have to work a bit on the riveting but otherwise Good one. :-)
...lew...

clive 01-05-2019 07:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lew Hartswick (Post 727671)
You have to work a bit on the riveting but otherwise Good one. :-)
...lew...

Lew, I had intended to make a rivetting tool but in the end just whacked it with a hammer, did the same thing just not as neat.

clive 01-05-2019 07:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MetalWolf (Post 727664)
Clive..... One of the many I don't know what ill do with them estate sale items I bought, Was five thousand S.S. 6mm. socket head cap screws.

And after watching some of the Kant twist clamp videos, they might be the perfect item to use...

Of course the clamp size will have to prolly be in the 6" up range in order to use them, But, I have plenty to use up.

But being I don't have enough skill at this time to cut my own threads I'll have to go with some all thread instead.

I cut the threads but if I had any all thread laying about would have used that.

Lew Hartswick 01-05-2019 10:04 PM

4 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by clive (Post 727696)
Lew, I had intended to make a rivetting tool but in the end just whacked it with a hammer, did the same thing just not as neat.

I think there was pictures of the "two ball bearing " technique of rolling the hole in the ends of the spacers??

...lew...

MetalWolf 01-06-2019 01:27 AM

I just bought a few aircraft riveting tools about a month guy had a couple of five gallon buckets of bucking bars and other aircraft sheet metal tools
a couple of the riveting bars look to be hand made

I did some pop rivet work on some sheet metal with some steel rivets last week and didn't like the way the rivets protruded the back side so I took my air riveting hammer and a rivet bar and went to it and surprisingly they rounded off nicely...

So it is nice to be able to use the riveting tools

MetalWolf 01-06-2019 01:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by clive (Post 727697)
I cut the threads but if I had any all thread laying about would have used that.

Clive.... I'll prolly go with the all thread for now but I want to learn how to cut my own threads on the lathe eventually but I am slow learning with this stuff.
You did a nice job on the K/Twist clamps

When I have more time on my hands I want to mess around in the shop
making some my self but also mess around in making some other types of clamps... just because I want to see if I can.... also just because one style of clamp doesn't always work in some applications where clamping is needed.... and I am pretty sick of some of my cheap china clamps that bend with the slightest of real pressure but those have been the got for when I'm in a bind and need that extra clamp as I try not to use them if I don't have to

Lu47Dan 01-06-2019 11:18 AM

60° threading is not hard to learn but takes practice to get it right. Each lathe is different, I threaded a 2" shaft for a cider press out of SS bar stock, it was a bastard to thread and made one hell of a mess, a couple of years ago. No extra stock and Acme threads. By the time I was done, I had learned never let the customer supply the SS for the job, but it worked. Not very fun for the first few passes. But I learned allot in the process.
Good thing it was a T&M job. So I priced in the new threading tool and the Acme threading inserts for it. Now I just need to get the 60° threading inserts for it. The original brass shaft lasted 60 years but he wanted SS, he paid for that choice very dearly.
Good luck learning, expect to scrap your first few attempts, use new nuts for test fitting the threads
The nut should screw on with hand pressure only, with very little play in the threads. Use light passes until you learn what your lathe likes. Also use known material for your first threading test bars. It is better to spend a little money on new material than spend hours trying to thread a piece of scrap you picked up somewhere.
Learn to grind your own tooling, it in the long run will save you money.
HF tool bits are fine for roughing, but get some HSS toolbits and a South Bend book on Lathes, IIRC it has a section on grinding HSS tooling.
Dan.

clive 01-06-2019 11:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lu47Dan (Post 727726)
60° threading is not hard to learn but takes practice to get it right. Each lathe is different, I threaded a 2" shaft for a cider press out of SS bar stock, it was a bastard to thread and made one hell of a mess, a couple of years ago. No extra stock and Acme threads. By the time I was done, I had learned never let the customer supply the SS for the job, but it worked. Not very fun for the first few passes. But I learned allot in the process.
Good thing it was a T&M job. So I priced in the new threading tool and the Acme threading inserts for it. Now I just need to get the 60° threading inserts for it. The original brass shaft lasted 60 years but he wanted SS, he paid for that choice very dearly.
Good luck learning, expect to scrap your first few attempts, use new nuts for test fitting the threads
The nut should screw on with hand pressure only, with very little play in the threads. Use light passes until you learn what your lathe likes. Also use known material for your first threading test bars. It is better to spend a little money on new material than spend hours trying to thread a piece of scrap you picked up somewhere.
Learn to grind your own tooling, it in the long run will save you money.
HF tool bits are fine for roughing, but get some HSS toolbits and a South Bend book on Lathes, IIRC it has a section on grinding HSS tooling.
Dan.

Have to agree with you on machining the stuff, a stainless nut and shaftcan grab so bad you have to cut the nut to remove it, plus it can walk all over the place when welding.

MetalWolf 01-07-2019 12:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by clive (Post 727776)
Have to agree with you on machining the stuff, a stainless nut and shaftcan grab so bad you have to cut the nut to remove it, plus it can walk all over the place when welding.

I'm glad to know all that...Thank You! :)
But I'm sure at some point while I'm figuring this all out, I'll forget and make that exact mistake and then go "aww dam" an think to my self now I remember the posts #29/30 where I was warned about this would happen ;);):devil:
I seriously sometimes have to learn from my mistakes it's just in my nature...