Shop Floor Talk

Shop Floor Talk (https://www.shopfloortalk.com/forums/index.php)
-   Welding (https://www.shopfloortalk.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Kant Twist clamps (https://www.shopfloortalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=46438)

platypus20 07-27-2016 06:43 AM

I have about 6 to 8 of them, I hate them, I find them cumbersome and bulky, I'd rather use the small Bessy sliding c-lamps. The Bessy have more range and are more versatile.

digger doug 07-27-2016 07:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by toprecycler (Post 665742)
But I have to say, I have a couple, and they will twist!

Brian

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lew Hartswick (Post 665749)
Yea I know a few people that can beak anything. :-)
...lew...

I'm pretty sure the 'Kant twist" is meaning when you tighten a normal
"c" clamp, even with a swivel pad, the screw has a tendency to twist
the part.

Kant twist clamps provide even pressure, with no screw influence.

milomilo 07-27-2016 03:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by digger doug (Post 665766)
I'm pretty sure the 'Kant twist" is meaning when you tighten a normal
"c" clamp, even with a swivel pad, the screw has a tendency to twist
the part.

Kant twist clamps provide even pressure, with no screw influence.

I have a couple and that is why I like them.

digr 01-03-2019 05:15 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I never cared for them, this is my Kant twist clamp, it has come down in price it used to be $900 now its down to $800. I have had it for years from a yard sale for $8.00 and have only used it once. Now I can hardly lift it.:eek: 37 pounds

MetalWolf 01-03-2019 07:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by digr (Post 727604)
I never cared for them, this is my Kant twist clamp, it has come down in price it used to be $900 now its down to $800. I have had it for years from a yard sale for $8.00 and have only used it once. Now I can hardly lift it.:eek: 37 pounds

I have a couple of 12" clamps like that, came in a box of Irion workers gear.
the screw is only half the length of the clamp..... I gave 8 bucks each for them in an estate sale, not sure what type of work they were meant for, but, they do come in very handy for big stuff an you can wrench down on them an the screw and clamp does not tweak
Dam good "C", "Cee", "Si" clamps' :D:devil:

LKeithR 01-04-2019 01:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by platypus20 (Post 665764)
I have about 6 to 8 of them, I hate them, I find them cumbersome and bulky, I'd rather use the small Bessy sliding c-lamps. The Bessy have more range and are more versatile.

I agree. I know some people like them but I've never really taken to the Kant-Twist clamps--they do seem awkward to me. We love our Bessey clones--very versatile...

MetalWolf 01-04-2019 02:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lew Hartswick (Post 665733)
Those are the handiest type of clamps. I've made a bunch of two sizes of them and did a series of pix and dwgs of the parts and fixtures to build them. Have sent the files to several folks but haven't heard of any of them actually building any.
...lew...

Lew...….. I still plan on making some, Just have to muster the time an energy to do it, getting things like this done rite now... is hard... I am swamped which is good but also irritating because what time I have for my self I am just plain wore out... I will get some made

Dave Lee 01-04-2019 05:36 PM

In another life, I worked in a tool and die shop. They were handy when you had to clamp a piece to an angle plate on the surface grinder.

My old boss was a toolmaker from GE. He said someone actually, made a die to make the side plates and they made enough for the whole shop. Some how, every time the guys in the shop were running off a batch, he got left behind the door. I think it was more on purpose than by accident. He was such a thrower of bull.

Dave

clive 01-05-2019 12:39 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Lew Hartswick (Post 665733)
Those are the handiest type of clamps. I've made a bunch of two sizes of them and did a series of pix and dwgs of the parts and fixtures to build them. Have sent the files to several folks but haven't heard of any of them actually building any.
...lew...

Took a while to get round to it but here it is, thanks Lew

MetalWolf 01-05-2019 01:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by clive (Post 727652)
Took a while to get round to it but here it is, thanks Lew

Looks perrrty good Clive..... Very nice job, I hope when I get around to doing mine "as promised", to Lew for sending the plans... I hope it looks as good as yours...