Shop Floor Talk

Shop Floor Talk (https://www.shopfloortalk.com/forums/index.php)
-   Welding (https://www.shopfloortalk.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Best way to repair this bucket (https://www.shopfloortalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=50889)

KevinF 05-16-2019 03:04 PM

Best way to repair this bucket

4 Attachment(s)
Supposed to repair this for the neighbor.

The piece that broke out and pushed in is a thinner sheet than what it broke away from. No trouble to push it back into shape with a portapower. Run a zip disc beween the two pieces for clearance. Weld both sides up. Is that sufficient?

I said I'd turn it around in a day. They use it daily. Better if I don't have to lend them my backhoe for chores..

SmokinDodge 05-16-2019 03:40 PM

Looks like a typical dairy bucket.

I’m sure your plan would work but not long term. I suspect if you get to measuring the bottom of that bucket is pretty thin. I’d back it up with some thicker steel or put a new floor in it considering the duty cycle.

TEK 05-16-2019 04:52 PM

Considering the time crunch your idea is probably the best. Maybe wire wheel it before closing the gap.

I dont think I would remove any material by grinding, its already thin and grinding is just extra work. I would wire wheel it, push the piece into place, stand it on one end and run a down pass with a mig, both sides.
Prolly do that in less than an hour.. if you get inclusions its no biggee, its already a shit bucket...

Smokin has the best idea for a long term repair....

KevinF 05-16-2019 05:26 PM

I don't actually think that bowed piece has worn thinner considerably. Its a lot thinner than the strap it was welded but seems like its close to its original thickness. Maybe I'll pop over there and have another look. Horse poop isn't abrasive like crushed rock. I think it was a light duty assembly to begin with and maybe they only stitch welded one side.

Hopefully they have a pressure washer. My dad borrowed mine (his) back.. :D

digger doug 05-16-2019 06:53 PM

I would try kicking it......'Course I wear steel toe shoes at all times....:D

MetalWolf 05-16-2019 10:35 PM

Depends on how much you are dependant on the use of the bucket... But from what I see, I would, cut it apart and start from scratch and just rebuild it...

Horse Crap might not be abrasive. but it is, corrosive so... no benefit in, the difference there.

LKeithR 05-17-2019 12:10 AM

If the customer had the time and was willing to pay for it I'd replace the bottom with a heavier piece but it all depends on the customer. Some don't want to be without the bucket and some don't want to spend the money--been there lots of times before. If you're going to rebuild it I'd consider some kind of wrap on the inside to tie the two pieces together. A piece of 3/16 flat or 10 GA sheet with a bit of a bend in it would tie it together nicely...

JohnBoy 05-17-2019 08:39 AM

new tractor sized buckets here start at a little over a hundred bucks a foot. it makes little sense to pay a man to do anything more than a bandaid repair.

If you can DIY and have a bountiful resource pile then it can make financial sense (but probably still not time sense) to rebuild a small bucket, but it would be madness to pay someone to do it.

Especially when wrecked buckets never seem to drop below 25 a foot second hand so you can sell your worn out bent mess to fools like me :confused:

KevinF 05-17-2019 12:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by digger doug (Post 736243)
I would try kicking it......'Course I wear steel toe shoes at all times....:D

I'll try yelling first.

digger doug 05-17-2019 01:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KevinF (Post 736274)
I'll try yelling first.

Yes....and get creative with it....very creative....