Shop Floor Talk

Shop Floor Talk (https://www.shopfloortalk.com/forums/index.php)
-   Fabrication (https://www.shopfloortalk.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   Spinners: Help Wanted (https://www.shopfloortalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=43390)

Mattbob 01-20-2015 09:49 PM

Spinners: Help Wanted

Any adventurous guys out there want to work with me on makings these babies? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JtS9OFRxaSg

Resonator guitar cones. I don't know where to start, but it seems like a simple process.

This may include me footing the cost to get the tooling made, and you being able to make $75/piece by being the only other person who makes those in the US.

MotorDoctor 01-20-2015 10:27 PM

That guy reminds me of engine builders I have known. Everything is TOP SECRET. When I walked into the shop, they would throw towels over anything so I couldn't see it. Don't look, it's top secret.
When I moved to CA, the first engine guy I saw was Ron Wood of Ron Wood racing (dirt track). He was porting a Rotax head out behind the shop where I was working. I asked him what he was doing and he was happy to show me everything. When I mentioned the previous treatment I had from other engine guys he just laughed. His position was this: If you can do a better job than me, I deserve to be beat. Nice guy. A few of the other guys I met were the same way. Seems like the real successful guys don't really mind, it's the closet engineers that have "the secret shit".
If I was those guitar guys, I would be worried about our little lemon colored friends duplicating his stuff.

Shade Tree Welder 01-21-2015 02:39 AM

"Spinners" means something completely different to me...

camdigger 01-21-2015 04:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MotorDoctor (Post 618143)
That guy reminds me of engine builders I have known. Everything is TOP SECRET. When I walked into the shop, they would throw towels over anything so I couldn't see it. Don't look, it's top secret.
When I moved to CA, the first engine guy I saw was Ron Wood of Ron Wood racing (dirt track). He was porting a Rotax head out behind the shop where I was working. I asked him what he was doing and he was happy to show me everything. When I mentioned the previous treatment I had from other engine guys he just laughed. His position was this: If you can do a better job than me, I deserve to be beat. Nice guy. A few of the other guys I met were the same way. Seems like the real successful guys don't really mind, it's the closet engineers that have "the secret shit".
If I was those guitar guys, I would be worried about our little lemon colored friends duplicating his stuff.

The whole secrecy thing is sometimes a "it took me 20 years to figure out this simple thing I grossly overcharge to do" phenomena. Something so simple once you see it, it is obvious and for what ever reason is not patentable, or the guy just hasn't bothered to get a patent because of cost and/or time involved.

allessence 01-21-2015 07:13 AM

I have always thought metal spinning is neat.. If a machine fell in my lap it would be one thing but I can't see spending the money on one.. The simple forms I would need/use i can to with a hammer and if I really wanted to try it I could just set something up on Lucky..

Sorry I can't offer anything here..

weldor2005 01-21-2015 07:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shade Tree Welder (Post 618165)
"Spinners" means something completely different to me...

My first thought was wind spinners that are so commonly cut out on CNC tables, then you chimed in and my mind went somewhere else.

Mattbob 01-21-2015 07:54 AM

The opposite is pretty much consensus in the guitar making world. Nothing is really 'concealed' (although there is plenty of aire of mystery), because it's all pretty much been done before. Bob Taylor of Taylor guitars is the same way, there's videos of his whole factory.

His 'top secret' phrase was a joke, although you can't tell from that video. It says it again in another video with a bit more facetiousness. It's olive oil.

We are all just making stuff. Plenty to go around.

I thought 'Turners' was a woodworking thing, and I thought I ran across 'spinners' along my searches.

dubby 01-21-2015 10:24 AM

Lol, wish I could Matt. I'm with you though, I don't have the slightest idea where to start. I've watched videos of guys spinning metal for years now and thought it was one of the neatest of the metal trades. I admit, I've tried a couple times on some small parts just to see what'd happen and it didn't work so bueno.

Lew Hartswick 01-21-2015 11:24 AM

The first thing that pops into my head upon hearing the word "spinning" is the
picture of a spinning wheel as in making thread from a "ball of fuzz". :-)
Other "meanings" need an additional modifier.
...lew...

Ironman 01-21-2015 11:34 AM

I would suggest you need to get a resonator first of all to 'reverse engineer' it.
We know the "secret alloy" is 1 thou thick aluminum. Use the resonator as a model to machine the spinning mold, then any lathe, even a wood lathe can do this spinning part.
The spinner tool can be made from a small (3/8") pillow block bearing. Pop it out of the block and you have a bearing with a smooth curved outer race, and mount it on a prybar.
While making the spinner mold, I would make two others, one for the swirls, and one female and one male to do the edge pressing bit.