Shop Floor Talk

Shop Floor Talk (https://www.shopfloortalk.com/forums/index.php)
-   Fabrication (https://www.shopfloortalk.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   Wilton L-clamps - the Contest Collection (https://www.shopfloortalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=35825)

cutter 11-07-2012 08:01 PM

Wilton L-clamps - the Contest Collection

5 Attachment(s)
I went heavy on these clamps, mostly because I didn't have any and partly because I didn't need any more bench vises.
Of course, now I don't expect to need any more clamps, ever. :)

I know some of you have Bessey clamps and I don't know if any of you have the Wiltons so I'm going to post a couple of details about these for those who aren't familiar with them.

1. These are the Spark Duty, light-duty 1600 pound clamping force, with brass screws, pads and handles under the plastic.
I got 12 of them: 3 six inch, 2 eight inch, 2 ten inch, 2 twelve's, and one each 16, 20 and 24 inch.

2, 3 & 4. The lime green plastic handle covers do make them highly visible but they also serve a bit of a purpose in keeping the lever bar in either T-bar or L-bar position. Or you can just remove them.
I think I will enjoy the way they feel.
Obviously, they're not going to stay clean & green very long. :)

5. The 6 inch-ers have plain brass feet or pads. All the others have some options.

derekpfeiffer 11-07-2012 08:08 PM

Very nice!! But no bessy;) I do like how they adopted the kant twist handle covers!!

cutter 11-07-2012 08:24 PM

5 Attachment(s)
The 8 inch and up have nuts to hold the feet on the balls of the screws.

1. The 8's & 10's can be fitted with either a serrated pad or a V-pad for gripping rounds but they require a smaller size than all the larger ones.
I chose not to buy any for the smaller sizes.
This picture is intended to show that this accessory pad is too large for the 8 inch clamp. I guess. :)

2, 3 & 4. I did select a pair of V-pads that will fit the 12-inchers and on up through the 24 inch.

These are Wilton item# 2909301, MSRP $12.00 each.
I did not choose to buy any of the serrated feet.

5. One more little detail, the larger clamps have a hex on top of the screw so you can use a wrench of them if you want to.

I guess I should add that these little fellers range in price from $32 for the 6 inch up to $89 for the 24 inch.
You can buy them all the way up to 48 inches and they list at $189.

USMCPOP 11-07-2012 08:29 PM

Day-Glow Twinkie clamps?

milomilo 11-07-2012 08:30 PM

That's pretty cool how they made it optional to have a T handle or a L handle. The color is nice too. Easy to finds that way.

cutter 11-07-2012 08:49 PM

2 Attachment(s)
To round out my fall & winter clamp collection I picked 2 each of the "Economy" series 6, 8 and 10 inch light duty clamps with 2600 pounds clamping force. These are plain feet and there is a considerable difference in the heft of these guys.

1. The six of them. They are listed as "spark duty" also but the screws are not copper plated.
They list at $39, $59 and $89 each and then start getting more expensive the the lighter-weight batch pretty fast in the larger sizes.

2. This is a side by side one 8 inch clamps from each series.
You can see the difference in meat pretty clearly.

So, that's it for these boys. Some of you told me to get a bunch of small ones & that's what I tried to favor.
I got a total of 18 l-clamps and they used up $979 of my contest prize. :)

platypus20 11-07-2012 09:13 PM

Cutter,

I really like the sliding C-clamp style of clamp, I have Besseys, both the heavy and light duty versions. In the light duty ones, I have 4", 6" and 8" ones, I use them more often than anything else.

dubby 11-07-2012 10:45 PM

I never have had any of these, and Cutter's were the first I ever picked up. I gotta say, had I been walking through a store and seen the green/copper coloring it'd have stopped me in my tracks. They just look neat, and that cover I think would do a great job of protecting the rods from getting gunked up. I'm interested in how they hold up to welding spatter.

Because of the cover, I didn't notice the hex end on there. I remember y'all talking about those ends so was keeping a watch to see if I could spot it. I admit, I did look at some unmarked, chinese brand of this style clamp. Figured they'd be useful, but really after holding the Wilton's I decided to save up a little more and get something better.

JohnBoy 11-08-2012 04:45 AM

I take it the brass screw is to stop welding boogers from sticking?

never seen that before.

J bar J 11-08-2012 06:36 AM

Now you need a nice rack to keep your clamps in order! I like you collection!! Mike!