Shop Floor Talk

Shop Floor Talk (https://www.shopfloortalk.com/forums/index.php)
-   Fabrication (https://www.shopfloortalk.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   Tires that do not go flat (https://www.shopfloortalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=49540)

milomilo 05-26-2018 03:00 PM

Tires that do not go flat

5 Attachment(s)
I have this landscape rake I pull behind the 4 wheeler to drag the drives around the house and the shop. When I bought it it had some lawn mower wheels on it and the hubs were shot. So put on a couple rubber tired wheels. Every other time I wanted to use it the goat heads around here had caused a slow leak.

So decoded I needed some wheels that would not go flat. Looked in the stash of used wheels, nada. Looked at some of the old steel wheels off of old farm implements, but all the wrong size.

Decided to build my own steel wheels. I could have went to HF and bought two, but what is the fun it that.:p

Found a piece of 6" thin wall pipe that split in half would make two wheels with no waste. Used some 3" angle iron for the spokes and a 2 1/2" long piece of 1" round for the hub. Drill out the round to 5/8" ID to fit the axle.

More pics after welding and installation.

digr 05-26-2018 03:35 PM

I would think that rocks will stop them and skid the rock along with you but maybe not

milomilo 05-26-2018 04:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by digr (Post 713517)
I would think that rocks will stop them and skid the rock along with you but maybe not

The wheels are only for transport. They are off the ground when using the rake.

Farmersamm 05-26-2018 04:42 PM

NOW THAT IS SLICK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Bet you could use them for actual running if you put some 1/4 round stock across the width of the outer edge......like tread. I think I have an old 1920's plow out in the yard somewhere that they did just that. I believe it's on the groundwheel that lifts the plow out of the ground at the end of a row. They didn't have much in the way of hydraulics back then, and a lot of stuff was ground actuated.

Farmersamm 05-26-2018 04:52 PM

3 Attachment(s)
The ground wheel had a brake that was actuated with a rope, which halted the wheel, and caused it to force a pivot upwards, and lift the plow out of the ground.

They worked, and they were steel (thumbsup). Jist a thought.

First 2 pics are a Deere plow, and last pic is a Moline (somewhat more prehistoric bumpy things instead of crossbars.....Dilly Dilly:D )

Farmersamm 05-26-2018 04:59 PM

Normally I wouldn't rush out and do some pics, but today I'm feeling all 'Farmy". I'm in the middle of planting.

Just emptied a fertilizer spreader, and now got the disc hooked up to incorporate the Urea. Either incorporate tonite, or early morning...….then drill the seed. We're in a mini drought here, and it's an expensive gamble.

One thing I got on my side is an old Hoe Drill. Great dryland seeding tool. Digs down to moist ground with sharp shanks.

RED caddy 05-26-2018 05:20 PM

And that's just how it happens when the right parts jump up out of the "possibles" pile.

I'da way over redgineered the "spokes". Genius I tell ya, pure genius.

as usual...

RED

milomilo 05-26-2018 05:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Farmersamm (Post 713520)
NOW THAT IS SLICK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Bet you could use them for actual running if you put some 1/4 round stock across the width of the outer edge......like tread. I think I have an old 1920's plow out in the yard somewhere that they did just that. I believe it's on the groundwheel that lifts the plow out of the ground at the end of a row. They didn't have much in the way of hydraulics back then, and a lot of stuff was ground actuated.

Like manure spreaders from the old days, all ground driven. The ground here in the drive is packed recycled concrete. Pretty hard. When I drop the rake down, it only bites in about 1 1/2". Just right for getting the drive leveled out. Al least you did not chastise me the spending all this time making wheels that I could have bought for $10.:)

Dave Lee 05-26-2018 06:02 PM

Very clever, Chris. I never would have thought of using angle iron for spokes.:)

Dave

Ironman 05-26-2018 06:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by milomilo (Post 713527)
Like manure spreaders from the old days, all ground driven. The ground here in the drive is packed recycled concrete. Pretty hard. When I drop the rake down, it only bites in about 1 1/2". Just right for getting the drive leveled out. Al least you did not chastise me the spending all this time making wheels that I could have bought for $10.:)

Now that the Force is co-operating I can get back on here.
Any tire that won't go flat is worth more than 10 bucks, Chris. I just spent 10 bucks a wheel for the wife's wagon. Had to wait for a sale too. When she's not pulling the plow :Dshe likes the little wagon and it always goes flat.
I think the Chinese filled the tires with lead so they won't go flat, damn they are heavy.