Shop Floor Talk

Shop Floor Talk (https://www.shopfloortalk.com/forums/index.php)
-   Blacksmithing & Forming (https://www.shopfloortalk.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=35)
-   -   Timken Made in USA (made 2x) (https://www.shopfloortalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=53370)

allessence 11-15-2021 08:04 PM

Timken Made in USA (made 2x)

5 Attachment(s)
So about 5 years ago I started this project.. I wanted to save the Timken made in USA and wanted it to be legible.

I recently went to the ABANA Iron to Art conference to teach and show off the demo trailer..

While there I got to meet some really neat people and do a demo on making a tight hinge eye, forging a 5 layer damasucs knife all the wrong ways and have it come out right, a Swedish brush axe, and an Arrow pattern thu cusp latch and thumber.

While I was there I became inspired and got started on a roll of knife making.

This knife was made and given away to someone I thought was worthy.

allessence 11-15-2021 08:07 PM

5 Attachment(s)
Was a really neat project.. super sharp and came out really well.

allessence 11-15-2021 08:09 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Here it is finished.

I don't ever make the same knife twice.. So this is the only one..

milomilo 11-15-2021 08:12 PM

Is a real unique skinner knife.:)

allessence 11-15-2021 08:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by milomilo (Post 776707)

My original plan was to make it a full on skinner.. I had to move all the material from one side of the blade to the other to keep the "Timken made in USA" on the outside.

Lost some material when I pushed the blade back over.. Originally the blade edge would have the Timken upside down..

digr 11-15-2021 10:48 PM

Very nice!!!!!!!

JohnBoy 11-16-2021 05:18 AM

You should send that on to Timken, it's beautiful

astronut 11-16-2021 07:37 AM

Nice work!

mccutter 11-16-2021 12:03 PM

My first thought looking at the title was "Timken is still made in the US?" ;) Nice Work! :) What material are the rivets made from? Hard to tell with camera color chameleonism...

Matt Shade 11-16-2021 03:55 PM

Nice work. I like the offset you put in so the handle would work out like a normal knife.

Reminds me I have an integral I started to make that I put a dog leg in so it would have a wood scale on one side and the metal tang on the other. I didn't like how the transitions were coming out when I started grinding and it got stuck in cabinet.

allessence 02-11-2022 10:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by milomilo (Post 776707)

The preliminary sharpness was enough to get me. I don't over sharpen the knives.. I send them sharp but not SHARP.. Felt really good with the finger on the blade..

Quote:

Originally Posted by digr (Post 776716)
Very nice!!!!!!!

Thanks

Quote:

Originally Posted by JohnBoy (Post 776717)
You should send that on to Timken, it's beautiful

that is a great idea.. Never even thought about it.

Quote:

Originally Posted by astronut (Post 776722)
Nice work!

thanks

Quote:

Originally Posted by mccutter (Post 776727)
My first thought looking at the title was "Timken is still made in the US?" ;) Nice Work! :) What material are the rivets made from? Hard to tell with camera color chameleonism...

Copper..

Quote:

Originally Posted by Matt Shade (Post 776742)
Nice work. I like the offset you put in so the handle would work out like a normal knife.

Reminds me I have an integral I started to make that I put a dog leg in so it would have a wood scale on one side and the metal tang on the other. I didn't like how the transitions were coming out when I started grinding and it got stuck in cabinet.

Thanks Matt, took me years to figure it out in a way that would satisfy me..

The idea of having the blade to 1 side did not strike me as desirable..

the next one will be easier..