Shop Floor Talk

Shop Floor Talk (https://www.shopfloortalk.com/forums/index.php)
-   Fabrication (https://www.shopfloortalk.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   Welding At Work (https://www.shopfloortalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=49608)

platypus20 06-08-2018 07:20 PM

Welding At Work

I’ve more welding in the past 3 weeks at work, than I’ve done in the last 3 months. Earlier this week, I had to rerun (welded) gas piping and new gas valves and controls on 2 boilers. I just got home from the second job, welding in a base and atomizing air piping (1” socket welds) and a new support base for the atomizing air compressor, then wire the pump, change the wiring diagram and set combustion. All told about 4# of 3/32” E6011C (Airco/Murex) and about 3# of 3/32” E7018 (Lincoln Excalibur).

Along with lots of the Plantex flap wheels and the Walter Zip Wheels, I lost 3 screwdrivers, 2 levels and a crappy used up Vise-Grip welding clamp. The bill will reflect their replacement cost. The minion, wrecked a Speedglass helmet, not intentionally, but he set it down and a pallet (standing on edge) fell over on it, that will be hard to cover, not impossible, just harder.

I have 2 more of the gas piping upgrades to do next week, Monday after the Dr visit and on Tuesday, will be all prefab, the installation on Wednesday - Friday. Getting home just in time to rest up for the knee surgery, the following Monday.

Shade Tree Welder 06-09-2018 10:26 AM

Jack, keep up the hard labor, all the welfare recipients are depending on you!

platypus20 06-09-2018 10:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shade Tree Welder (Post 714611)
Jack, keep up the hard labor, all the welfare recipients are depending on you!

At times the weight on my shoulders, seems a bit excessive, but we soldier on.....:mad:

Ironman 06-09-2018 01:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by platypus20 (Post 714612)
At times the weight on my shoulders, seems a bit excessive, but we soldier on.....:mad:

Jack, that's what's really killing your knees.:D

digr 06-09-2018 04:44 PM

Jack, who is gona take your spot when the time comes? One would think there would be a young hand following you around trying to learn the trade and taking on some of the work. No up and coming welders and fitters?

Ted

USMCPOP 06-09-2018 05:42 PM

Jack, your problem with the knees is that you never properly taught the minions to bend over and kneel down in the proper position.

cramd 06-12-2018 06:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by digr (Post 714624)
Jack, who is gona take your spot when the time comes? One would think there would be a young hand following you around trying to learn the trade and taking on some of the work. No up and coming welders and fitters?

Ted

Too many of today's generation have no desire to work and get their hands dirty (or work at all for that matter :rolleyes:) at trades such as Jack's.

SmokinDodge 06-12-2018 10:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cramd (Post 714853)
Too many of today's generation have no desire to work and get their hands dirty (or work at all for that matter :rolleyes:) at trades such as Jack's.

Well I’m going to say it’s a combination of things. I got out of high school in ‘98 and not a single damn person between 1990 to 1998 encouraged me to look at a trade. EVERYONE said I needed to go to college........

Well we all know how that ended up. I took a trade and ran with it after wasting a bunch of time and some student loans. So, now every April-may I ask the graduating class of that year if anyone ever tried to get them to take a trade. Not a single person has ever been talked to about a trade, and worse yet some have never really discussed their future in-depth until I ask.

Yes there are plenty of morons and nose pickers in this and upcoming generations but I don’t believe for a second the blame falls squarely on their shoulders. People have been institutionalized that you HAVE to go to college. Whether you should or not by god your gonna go......

After all that, I ask you when was the last time you reccomend a trade to a young person?

greywynd 06-12-2018 11:07 PM

Seems a lot of the production plants I’ve worked in over the years, some of the younger ones look to the trades. They start as a production worker, then realize that for better money, and more long term stability, the trades are a better option. So anytime an apprentice position comes available, they often have a lot of decent internal applicants.

As to the school system, they really haven’t been recommending trades here since before I was in school. The schools here have all mostly phased out the shops, and letting the community colleges handle it instead.

Heck, the high school machine shop I was in, the teacher had a grand total budget for the year of $300. Materials, cutting tools, everything, for the entire year!!

Sent from my iPhone using ShopFloorTalk mobile app

GWIZ 06-13-2018 03:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by greywynd (Post 714882)
Heck, the high school machine shop I was in, the teacher had a grand total budget for the year of $300. Materials, cutting tools, everything, for the entire year!!

Sent from my iPhone using ShopFloorTalk mobile app

Seems to be some honesty in Canada. in the US someone steals the money and rewrites the books.

At my time in high school, the machine shop teacher would tell me that his budget was around $3000 the same every year.
every year he would place an order for a new mill and never got anything.

As the teacher walked away he said I don't know who is getting the money, it's not the shop!
In the four years all I seen was a few new band saw blades and refilling of the welding bottles.

The teacher would soften the dead centers re-point them on the lathe and harden them again...... ran out of aluminum for casting so students would bring in aluminum cans for the melting pot.