Shop Floor Talk

Shop Floor Talk (https://www.shopfloortalk.com/forums/index.php)
-   Shop & Safety (https://www.shopfloortalk.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=22)
-   -   oils and chemicals (https://www.shopfloortalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=51177)

gaston 08-23-2019 10:43 AM

oils and chemicals

Hi guys
my grandson dropped off some oil barrels and they had stuff in a couple of them. one was marked 20/20 wt oil and looks and feels correct. the ONE I have a question about is marked "EHTHONE AF1853" It looks and feels like ATF transmission oil. I can't seem to find any info as to what it is.
Anyone know what it is and or what its used for. I'd like to use it or dispose of it in a safe manner but till I figure out what it is I don't know how to do that

astronut 08-23-2019 11:06 AM

I just did a search on duck duck go and it comes back as an oil.
ENTHONE® AF-1853

Oil

Used in horizontal HASL equipment requiring re-circulated stable heat transfer fluid for flowing solder on PCBs. Oil is completely water soluble and biodegradable.

Here is the link and the info is found by scrolling down almost to the bottom of the page. http://www.everchase.com.cn/cookson_eng.htm

Tim KS 08-23-2019 12:51 PM

Found this on Ehthone Industries website concerning AF1853

"Used in horizontal HASL equipment requiring re-circulated stable heat transfer fluid for flowing solder on PCBs. Oil is completely water soluble and biodegradable."

What that means is greek to me. Further digging may be of benefit. :confused:

astronut 08-23-2019 12:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tim KS (Post 740695)
Found this on Ehthone Industries website concerning AF1853

"Used in horizontal HASL equipment requiring re-circulated stable heat transfer fluid for flowing solder on PCBs. Oil is completely water soluble and biodegradable."

What that means is greek to me. Further digging may be of benefit. :confused:

See post #2. ;) :D

Tim KS 08-23-2019 04:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by astronut (Post 740696)
See post #2. ;) :D

Ya, that's what I get not reading to the bottom.....but then I did "quote" the info found. :devil:

digger doug 08-23-2019 07:32 PM

"Feels Like" ???

More important...what does it "taste like" ?

Sounds like a full synthetic deep fryer oil.....:D

Probably Lucas will sell it, "Doubles as a desert topping"...:rolleyes:

mccutter 08-23-2019 10:48 PM

I'm sure our resident oilologist will be around soon to clarify... :) I'd wait for his input before I go making salad dressing out of it! ;)

USMCPOP 08-25-2019 09:40 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by digger doug (Post 740715)
"Feels Like" ???

More important...what does it "taste like" ?

Sounds like a full synthetic deep fryer oil.....:D

Probably Lucas will sell it, "Doubles as a desert topping"...:rolleyes:

Reminds me of the Saturday Night Live skit, the ad for Shimmer.

New Shimmer is both a floor wax and a dessert topping! Here, I’ll spray some on your mop.. [ sprays Shimmer onto mop ] ..and some on your butterscotch pudding. [ sprays Shimmer onto pudding ] [ Husband eats while Wife mops ]

Shade Tree Welder 08-25-2019 10:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gaston (Post 740688)
"EHTHONE AF1853" It looks and feels like ATF transmission oil. I can't seem to find any info as to what it is.
Anyone know what it is and or what its used for. I'd like to use it or dispose of it in a safe manner but till I figure out what it is I don't know how to do that

If you are on city sewer, I would toss it down the toilet maybe 5 gallons a week
and let the city sort it out. If you have a septic tank I would NOT put it in your
septic.

The SAE 20 can be disposed of as used engine oil, where ever you do that at.

Tell your g-son to stop picking up other peoples garbage.

monckywrench 09-05-2019 02:51 PM

I'd dispose of it at your local waste oil dropoff. Throwing random products into sewers is poor practice. OTOH a waste oil refiner will separate what's useful to recycle from what's useful to burn.