Shop Floor Talk

Shop Floor Talk (https://www.shopfloortalk.com/forums/index.php)
-   Mechanical & Electrical (https://www.shopfloortalk.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=36)
-   -   old school sticky axle grease? (https://www.shopfloortalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=51059)

RED caddy 07-16-2019 06:18 PM

old school sticky axle grease?
 
I'm getting ready to put the Reese 20K 5th wheel hitch back in service, It's the dual oscillating model (rocks in 2 planes) Both pieces ride in pin and saddle joints.

I want a heavy body stiff/sticky grease, that will stay put, under a white herculight cover (boat canvas material) sitting in the Florida sun. (I use a Teflon disc on the pin box plate, so I don't have to grease it, way less mess)

What should I be looking for? Source?

RED

arizonian 07-16-2019 07:11 PM

Crater. It's an open gear lube, used extensively in mining and also on fifth wheels. Just don't get it on your clothes.

Can't help you with a source.

Crater

http://www.matweb.com/search/datasheettext.aspx?

matguid=7d2c197599564a16b734959910989db2

Shade Tree Welder 07-16-2019 08:26 PM

https://www.mcmaster.com/10195k623

Or

https://www.mcmaster.com/10195k621

Same product different packaging.

RED caddy 07-16-2019 08:57 PM

Thank you very much men. I was having no joy finding the Texaco Crater, google foo being what it is, not a big surprise.

Ron, as usual the numbers you gave me are spot on. I closed my commercial account at Mc Master - car, so I will try da bay and amazon. Rollin, Rollin, Rollin...

RED

Norm W 07-16-2019 10:24 PM

Fifth wheel grease is about as close to permanent as you can get, if you get it on your clothes. :mad:

Shade Tree Welder 07-16-2019 11:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RED caddy (Post 738845)
Thank you very much men. I was having no joy finding the Texaco Crater, google foo being what it is, not a big surprise.

Ron, as usual the numbers you gave me are spot on. I closed my commercial account at Mc Master - car, so I will try da bay and amazon. Rollin, Rollin, Rollin...

RED

Dont need an account to purchase from Mcmaster, just whip out the plastic.

RED caddy 07-17-2019 07:52 AM

just an interesting aside.
Apparently Mc Master doesn't want to sell to me unless I give them my full pedigree, get on their spam mailing list and promise my first born. That kind of crap is why I cancelled my commercial account several years ago. Mc Master - carr has the grease for $9.71/tube. Camping world (local) would be happy to sell me a tube for only $17.80, imagine that.

Upside down inside out...

RED

Shade Tree Welder 07-17-2019 08:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RED caddy (Post 738873)
just an interesting aside.
Apparently Mc Master doesn't want to sell to me unless I give them my full pedigree, get on their spam mailing list and promise my first born. That kind of crap is why I cancelled my commercial account several years ago. Mc Master - carr has the grease for $9.71/tube. Camping world (local) would be happy to sell me a tube for only $17.80, imagine that.

Upside down inside out...

RED

You might be confusing Mcmaster with Grainger. I have a Mcmaster account
and only get emails when I place an order, never anything else, ever.

Grainger on the other hand is a PITA!!!

Samcord 07-17-2019 08:22 AM

Camping World won’t have the actual product in stock. They will add on a service agreement and an inspection fee. And they will try to put you on a time share list.

JH35 07-17-2019 08:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shade Tree Welder (Post 738875)
You might be confusing Mcmaster with Grainger. I have a Mcmaster account
and only get emails when I place an order, never anything else, ever.

Grainger on the other hand is a PITA!!!

Yes and yes. I have ordered from MCM a few times and the only emails I get are specific order related.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:33 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions Inc.