Shop Floor Talk

Shop Floor Talk (https://www.shopfloortalk.com/forums/index.php)
-   Shop & Safety (https://www.shopfloortalk.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=22)
-   -   Finally getting a real shop!! (https://www.shopfloortalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=5351)

gagiii 12-02-2005 02:06 PM

Finally getting a real shop!!

Well it's suppose to start next Wed. (12/07/05) I fell into a little money and found a few deals and they are suppose to start forming the slab then. This is going to be a "hybred" building. 56' x 42" with 40' x 42' enclosed. The remainder will be under roof with no walls for tractors, equiptment, 4 wheeler, ect. I'm getting posts for a metal building and "C"pearlings from a friend for less than $1.00 a foot (rusty ones even cheaper). I bought 15 surplus wooden trusses (2x6 over 2x6 scissor to span 42') for $50.00 dollars each.
I bought 200 sheets of 23' v crimp tin of a chicken house for 6 dollars a sheet (removed) and that includes the 2x4 lathe under the tin. Plan on doing the majority of the work above the slab my self (with the help of my brother). So this project may take a while but the building is part of the fun!!

If any body has a website or personal information on plans for the layout I could sure use the help. I've got a good idea about what I think I want but a little more input and information is always a great thing
this is the site (was my pea patch)
http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a2...Picture016.jpg
I will do my best to take as many pictures as possible. My brother and I have already leveled the pad. Just waiting on my contractor buddy to form it up.

Don't know if you can tell but I'm pretty excited!! :D

I would appreciate any input and/or comments now and as the work progresses.

gagiii 12-02-2005 02:24 PM

This is where I been trying to work The little portable building on the left was my "shop" but usually did most of the work outside or under the carport on the right. The new shop will be in the clearing in the background in front of the aluminum gate.

http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a2...Picture010.jpg

will be in the shade almost all day.

cutter 12-02-2005 05:43 PM

Good for you, Doc.
A home is nice but there is no substitute for having a castle. :)

gagiii 12-02-2005 05:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cutter
Good for you, Doc.
A home is nice but there is no substitute for having a castle. :)

my wife says I can basically put what ever I want in the new shop (anything to get me out of the carport) except a TV. cause then I'd never come in the house. ( I really thought she would think that would be a plus, but I guess not LOL)

DDA52 12-02-2005 07:39 PM

Very cool. Everybody is getting a new shop. :cool: Who's next? ;)

Bring on the pics!

.......at least your won't take as long as mine is/will. :rolleyes: :)

banzaitoyota 12-02-2005 08:33 PM

congrats

tackit 12-03-2005 12:50 AM

That's gonna be a nice building when your done, glad for man, good luck and remember those pictures. :D

kcir 12-03-2005 08:36 AM

Congratulations! Everyone needs a nice place to work on their projects. Nice place there. We will look forward to your progress in pictures.

Rick

Pile Buck 12-03-2005 08:37 AM

Congratulations on the new shop! You sure got some screaming deals on materials ;) , but I’m a tad bit confused on the building method. What do you mean by “Hybred building”? :confused: You say the slab is going in first, so this leads me to believe your going stick built, and not post frame But you don’t have enough trusses to go stick built. Going to buy more later? Can you enlighten me / us which way your going ;)

gagiii 12-03-2005 08:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pile Buck
Congratulations on the new shop! You sure got some screaming deals on materials ;) , but I’m a tad bit confused on the building method. What do you mean by “Hybred building”? :confused: You say the slab is going in first, so this leads me to believe your going stick built, and not post frame But you don’t have enough trusses to go stick built. Going to buy more later? Can you enlighten me / us which way your going ;)

Pile,
The 15' metal posts will be bolted to the slab just like a metal building. I'm going to use doubled 8" c perlings for my plates. The trusses are designed to be on a 5' center, but I'm puting my on a 4' center and they will be bolted to the c perlings with angle iron brackets that will mimic hurricane clips. so it's part metal building and part wooden thus a hybrid.

Pile Buck 12-03-2005 09:20 AM

Oh I see, :cool: In your area are you required to use anchor bolts poured in the slab, or can you use a roto-hammer, and quick bolt?

gagiii 12-03-2005 09:51 AM

Quote:

Oh I see, :cool: In your area are you required to use anchor bolts poured in the slab, or can you use a roto-hammer, and quick bolt?

As far as I know in my area (out in the country and on my land) I ain't required to do anything. This is just the way that my contractor friend does it

Pile Buck 12-03-2005 11:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gagiii
As far as I know in my area (out in the country and on my land) I ain't required to do anything. This is just the way that my contractor friend does it

Well that works for me ;) . Right here in my little (brother-n-law) county, they just about got it were you can’t do a thing for your self. You have to hire a contractor to change a light bulb! :rolleyes: :mad:

gagiii 12-03-2005 12:29 PM

Yea, I know what you mean! I think one of the biggest problems in the US today is over regulation. That, and that too many people know to much about my business. If "they" would just leave me alone I would gladly leave "them" alone.

DDA52 12-03-2005 02:29 PM

That is why I am doing mine my way...before they annex my area. Right now, do what you want. Later, who knows? :rolleyes: I do know that when and if we get annexed, you need a building permit for just about anything. :mad: It is 800 bucks too! :mad: :mad: They are raving idiots anyway.

westside 12-03-2005 05:34 PM

Congratulations on the new shop gagiii. Looks like a good plan,be safe,and keep the photos coming !!!

gagiii 12-05-2005 09:28 AM

Delays, Delays

My contractor was going to pour another slab today, remove the forms tommorrow, move to my job
Wed., and form my shop on thursday and Friday so he could pour next Monday. Well it's 29 here this morning and isn't suppose to get out of the 40's most of the week and here they won't pour unless it's 40 degrees and rising.

Guess well just wait and see

gagiii 12-05-2005 02:57 PM

Good News

My contractor says he is going to pour tommorrow, so they are still planning on moving to my little job sometimes on Wednesday.

The weatherman says we may get sleet or snow on Wednesday and for here that's almost a death sentence on outside work. We don't get "winter precip" here very often so we are not equipt to handle it. Things generally just shut down.

Once again I guess we will just have to wait and see. :rolleyes:

DDA52 12-05-2005 04:19 PM

All I can say is, Welcome To My World. :rolleyes:

This time of year, the concrete biz gets really iffy. Just the nature of the beast. Sucks in the winter, same in the summer. Makes me wonder why I bother with it. :rolleyes:

Be patient...it will come together soon. :)

gagiii 12-05-2005 05:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DDA52
All I can say is, Welcome To My World. :rolleyes:

This time of year, the concrete biz gets really iffy. Just the nature of the beast. Sucks in the winter, same in the summer. Makes me wonder why I bother with it. :rolleyes:

Be patient...it will come together soon. :)

If you are in the concrete business I have a question. My guy says that if I want a really smooth finish he recommended to use reinforcement wire and not the "fiberglass" reinforcement. Just wondering about your opinion.

DDA52 12-05-2005 08:07 PM

Quote:

If you are in the concrete business I have a question. My guy says that if I want a really smooth finish he recommended to use reinforcement wire and not the "fiberglass" reinforcement. Just wondering about your opinion.

I agree. I am not big on fiber on slabs. IMO, lots of guys will use it to be lazy and not put in the appropriate steel. They still crack, even with high fiber densities. Also, as regards finish, IF they don't do it just right, you get fibers at the surface. It is even harder to do in the winter. The cold seems to help the fibers stay on the surface instead of sinking below the paste layer. Result....not a smooth finish. I am putting #3 bar AND #10 mesh on mine. That will give me temp control, tension resistance and crack control with the mesh. Now wait and see...it will look like a spider web with all the cracks. :eek: :( ;) Keeping concrete pristine is like herding cats. :D

If you want a really smooth finish, tell them go ahead with the mesh and burn the surface when they pour/finish it. The result will be a shiny, baby butt smooth finish....really easy to clean up, too.

gagiii 12-09-2005 09:23 AM

under way at last

I was just starting a neuter on a 2 lb chihuahua (microsurgery!) when my contractor came in to tell me that he is headed to my house to start putting up the batter boards so they came frame Monday and possible pour Tuesday

so it begins

cutter 12-09-2005 10:47 AM

Quote:

I was just starting a neuter on a 2 lb chihuahua (microsurgery!)

For once, and possibly this time only, I am not going to mention pictures ......

gagiii 12-09-2005 11:04 AM

Quote:

For once, and possibly this time only, I am not going to mention pictures ......

hopefully I'll get some tomorrow, it will surely be dark when I get home today.

cutter 12-09-2005 11:21 AM

Quote:

lol
I meant pictures of the surgery.

gagiii 12-09-2005 12:58 PM

Quote:

lol
I meant pictures of the surgery.

Oh! sorry, I will try to do that with the next one

I did a spay and another castration before I came back to the computer but I'll try to get my trusty assistant to do that next week if I don't take a few days off to work on the shop.

cutter 12-09-2005 05:25 PM

Who's on first?

Okay gagiii, forgive me but I have managed to misdirect you entirely here. :)
Here is how I meant to conversation to go
Quote:

I was just starting a neuter on a 2 lb chihuahua

Quote:

Quote:

And then I should have said "Ok. great!" but noooooo, I had to try to continue my little joke. I really have little curiosity of about neutering - anything. Saw enough of that when I was a kid so you don't have to post photos of the poor little guy for my edification.
Shop pictures are great, though! :D

gagiii 12-09-2005 05:51 PM

Surgery Pics

OK maybe I'm a little dense but if anyone wants som e practice (surgery) pics I will oblige.

And BTW I'm George, my daddy was George, and My Granddaddy was George, so I'm George Allen the third thus gagiii.

My granddadday was called Allen (middle name), Daddy was called George, and for some unknown reason my Momma nicknamed me Chuck. So i go by George, Chuck, and now most often Doc.

I'm telling you this because it just looks and feels funny answering to GAGIII

But you can call me anything as long as you don't call me late for supper.LOL

Tom Zachman 12-09-2005 07:24 PM

I have a now-single friend whose then-wife was schooling to become a Nurse. I was with them one day when she was gleefully telling about a surgery she witnessed where some poor man was losing his balls. :eek:

Anywhoo, her excitement and description of the procedure really scared me. And him too.

They're no longer together; but he still is.

cutter 12-09-2005 09:40 PM

Quote:

And BTW I'm George, my daddy was George, and My Granddaddy was George, so I'm George Allen the third thus gagiii.

Thank you; that had puzzled me. :)

Pile Buck 12-10-2005 12:07 PM

Quote:

My contractor was going to pour another slab today, remove the forms tommorrow, move to my job
Wed., and form my shop on thursday and Friday so he could pour next Monday. Well it's 29 here this morning and isn't suppose to get out of the 40's most of the week and here they won't pour unless it's 40 degrees and rising.

Guess well just wait and see

FYI, in the future if this happens to you, you can pay your concrete supplier to use hot water instead of plain old tap water, there are certain chemicals that can be added also. Have enough visqueen on site to tent your pour, and rent those huge kerosene salamander heaters. Keep the temperature above 40° for the first 24-hours, and your good to go. Generally any state agency will accept this here. But depending on the structural value the more they tighten up.

gagiii 12-10-2005 12:20 PM

pilebuck,
'precciate the info on the temperature, but I may get lucky. The plan now is to pour 12/15/05 and the weather is suppose to be in the mid to upper 60's for several days and sunny.

Well at least that's the long range forecast. My granddaddy always said that some day they were going to cut a window in the weather station so they could look outside and see what's going on!

Pile Buck 12-10-2005 12:29 PM

LOL, I’ve always said, “ Sell those satellites, and buy a window” :rolleyes: :D :D

DDA52 12-10-2005 12:49 PM

Quote:

FYI, in the future if this happens to you, you can pay your concrete supplier to use hot water instead of plain old tap water, there are certain chemicals that can be added also. Have enough visqueen on site to tent your pour, and rent those huge kerosene salamander heaters. Keep the temperature above 40° for the first 24-hours, and your good to go. Generally any state agency will accept this here. But depending on the structural value the more they tighten up.

PB, most concrete suppliers down in the south, where it is warm ;) , are not set up for hot water. When it is too cold, you just wait. Just as well, too. I hate sitting on slabs watching them not set up. It is one of the most miserable thing I have to do sometimes. So far, my record is 28 hrs, start to finish on a 13,000 foot slab. We never left, sadly. Had one go three days in Va. ..bad mix and cold to boot. We went home on that one. Had two guys stand watch with everyone's beeper #'s. It finally went on the evening of the third day. :rolleyes:

gagiii 12-12-2005 12:33 PM

The Beginning

5 Attachment(s)
Here's a few pics from the morning of 12/12/05.

I'll have more as work progresses.

The fire wood came from a big hickory that was leaning toward the shop. Even if it wasn't going to fall on my new shop, the " hicker" huts falling would run you nuts inside of a tin building.

DDA52 12-12-2005 02:34 PM

Flat ground...gotta love it. If my area was that flat...I'd already have a slab. Wanna trade? ;) :D

gagiii 12-13-2005 09:48 AM

Well We Hit A Minor Stump

:( 70% chance of rain tomorrow so my contractor won't dig the footings until Thursday. Plus the worse thing is that his father died late yesterday and I may have to be a paul bearer.

Some things are just unavoidable and unexpected.

gagiii 12-20-2005 08:13 AM

slight progress

3 Attachment(s)
Well they finished the forms yesterday (12/19/05). Planning to pour tomorrow (12/21/25).Here's a few more pics of the work done last week.

dirtdigger 12-20-2005 08:36 AM

Looks like it is moving ahead nicely. Sure wish it was t-shirt weather up here. I envy that. Oh well, I guess I could always move, but probly never will. just plain crazy I guess. (current temp 15 Deg.)

gagiii 12-20-2005 09:03 AM

modifications

5 Attachment(s)
Here is the mods I had to make to the posts so that the top would be flat for my plate.