Shop Floor Talk

Shop Floor Talk (https://www.shopfloortalk.com/forums/index.php)
-   Machining (https://www.shopfloortalk.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=21)
-   -   Mill Mounting Plate (https://www.shopfloortalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=50356)

milomilo 12-30-2018 11:59 PM

Mill Mounting Plate

1 Attachment(s)
Started making a mounting plate for the mill today. It is a 1/2" plate and will have several tapped holes with 3/8-16. Also have four 1/2-13 holes to bolt to the table T nuts. Today I ran a 2" facing cutter to get a flat smooth surface on the plate. Came our real well. The hole layout will be tomorrow.

Lu47Dan 12-31-2018 09:52 AM

Chris, dye the surface or use a sharpie to lay out the hole pattern, this will give you a visual reference to the hole locations while you are moving location on the plate.
Add a secondary pattern of 1/4" - 20 tapped holes.
Most work I have done on a plate is light machining, so it is handy to have smaller clamping accessories at times.
Once you lay out the 3/8" pattern, drill it before laying out the smaller 1/4" pattern or use a different color sharpie to mark them. Drilling many holes of two seperate sizes can and does get confusing.
Dan.

milomilo 12-31-2018 11:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lu47Dan (Post 727416)
Chris, dye the surface or use a sharpie to lay out the hole pattern, this will give you a visual reference to the hole locations while you are moving location on the plate.
Add a secondary pattern of 1/4" - 20 tapped holes.
Most work I have done on a plate is light machining, so it is handy to have smaller clamping accessories at times.
Once you lay out the 3/8" pattern, drill it before laying out the smaller 1/4" pattern or use a different color sharpie to mark them. Drilling many holes of two separate sizes can and does get confusing.
Dan.

Already put on Dykem on the plate. I will only have four 1/2" holes to mount to the table. Will use flat allen head 1/2" screws to attach to the table 1/2" T nuts. I do need to get a set of 3/8" studs and clamps. I could get some 3/8" T nuts, then I would not need the 1/2" holes. Decisions, decisions, decisions.

greywynd 12-31-2018 02:16 PM

Smaller clamps can also be made. I have some as small as 5mm.

With smaller clamping setups, the height should be kept to a minimum, so socket head cap screws or hex head bolts can often be used instead of studs.

Sent from my iPhone using ShopFloorTalk mobile app

milomilo 12-31-2018 03:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by greywynd (Post 727426)
Smaller clamps can also be made. I have some as small as 5mm.

With smaller clamping setups, the height should be kept to a minimum, so socket head cap screws or hex head bolts can often be used instead of studs.

Cap screws! Another good idea. Thanks.

greywynd 12-31-2018 05:17 PM

Just make sure to use decent washers. I used to have sources for heavy (williams was what we called them) washers that worked really well for clamping applications.

milomilo 12-31-2018 05:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by greywynd (Post 727431)
Just make sure to use decent washers. I used to have sources for heavy (williams was what we called them) washers that worked really well for clamping applications.

I have lots of good washers.

milomilo 01-01-2019 09:28 PM

Too cold for shop work yesterday. Did get the four 1/2" holes laid out and drilled today. I will get the countersinks done tomorrow. Probably lay out the 3/8" tapped holes too.

MetalWolf 01-02-2019 07:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by milomilo (Post 727510)
Too cold for shop work yesterday. Did get the four 1/2" holes laid out and drilled today. I will get the countersinks done tomorrow. Probably lay out the 3/8" tapped holes too.

Well Chris... I cant wait to see the final product, well, I mean I have to wait but I am, looking forward to seeing it once you finish the mounting plate

threepiece 01-02-2019 12:09 PM

I use a standard pitch of 2.5" or a multiple of 2.5" for all my fixtures in my shop. The 2.5" is derived from the T slot spacing on my milling machine. This allows me to use fixtures on all four of my fabricating tables which also have the same pitch and thread.