Shop Floor Talk

Shop Floor Talk (https://www.shopfloortalk.com/forums/index.php)
-   Machining (https://www.shopfloortalk.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=21)
-   -   Mill Mounting Plate (https://www.shopfloortalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=50356)

milomilo 12-30-2018 11:59 PM

Mill Mounting Plate
 
1 Attachment(s)
Started making a mounting plate for the mill today. It is a 1/2" plate and will have several tapped holes with 3/8-16. Also have four 1/2-13 holes to bolt to the table T nuts. Today I ran a 2" facing cutter to get a flat smooth surface on the plate. Came our real well. The hole layout will be tomorrow.

Lu47Dan 12-31-2018 09:52 AM

Chris, dye the surface or use a sharpie to lay out the hole pattern, this will give you a visual reference to the hole locations while you are moving location on the plate.
Add a secondary pattern of 1/4" - 20 tapped holes.
Most work I have done on a plate is light machining, so it is handy to have smaller clamping accessories at times.
Once you lay out the 3/8" pattern, drill it before laying out the smaller 1/4" pattern or use a different color sharpie to mark them. Drilling many holes of two seperate sizes can and does get confusing.
Dan.

milomilo 12-31-2018 11:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lu47Dan (Post 727416)
Chris, dye the surface or use a sharpie to lay out the hole pattern, this will give you a visual reference to the hole locations while you are moving location on the plate.
Add a secondary pattern of 1/4" - 20 tapped holes.
Most work I have done on a plate is light machining, so it is handy to have smaller clamping accessories at times.
Once you lay out the 3/8" pattern, drill it before laying out the smaller 1/4" pattern or use a different color sharpie to mark them. Drilling many holes of two separate sizes can and does get confusing.
Dan.

Already put on Dykem on the plate. I will only have four 1/2" holes to mount to the table. Will use flat allen head 1/2" screws to attach to the table 1/2" T nuts. I do need to get a set of 3/8" studs and clamps. I could get some 3/8" T nuts, then I would not need the 1/2" holes. Decisions, decisions, decisions.

greywynd 12-31-2018 02:16 PM

Smaller clamps can also be made. I have some as small as 5mm.

With smaller clamping setups, the height should be kept to a minimum, so socket head cap screws or hex head bolts can often be used instead of studs.


Sent from my iPhone using ShopFloorTalk mobile app

milomilo 12-31-2018 03:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by greywynd (Post 727426)
Smaller clamps can also be made. I have some as small as 5mm.

With smaller clamping setups, the height should be kept to a minimum, so socket head cap screws or hex head bolts can often be used instead of studs.


Sent from my iPhone using ShopFloorTalk mobile app

Cap screws! Another good idea. Thanks.

greywynd 12-31-2018 05:17 PM

Just make sure to use decent washers. I used to have sources for heavy (williams was what we called them) washers that worked really well for clamping applications.


Sent from my iPhone using ShopFloorTalk mobile app

milomilo 12-31-2018 05:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by greywynd (Post 727431)
Just make sure to use decent washers. I used to have sources for heavy (williams was what we called them) washers that worked really well for clamping applications.


Sent from my iPhone using ShopFloorTalk mobile app

I have lots of good washers.

milomilo 01-01-2019 09:28 PM

Too cold for shop work yesterday. Did get the four 1/2" holes laid out and drilled today. I will get the countersinks done tomorrow. Probably lay out the 3/8" tapped holes too.

MetalWolf 01-02-2019 07:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by milomilo (Post 727510)
Too cold for shop work yesterday. Did get the four 1/2" holes laid out and drilled today. I will get the countersinks done tomorrow. Probably lay out the 3/8" tapped holes too.

Well Chris... I cant wait to see the final product, well, I mean I have to wait but I am, looking forward to seeing it once you finish the mounting plate

threepiece 01-02-2019 12:09 PM

I use a standard pitch of 2.5" or a multiple of 2.5" for all my fixtures in my shop. The 2.5" is derived from the T slot spacing on my milling machine. This allows me to use fixtures on all four of my fabricating tables which also have the same pitch and thread.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:02 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions Inc.