Shop Floor Talk

Shop Floor Talk (https://www.shopfloortalk.com/forums/index.php)
-   Blacksmithing & Forming (https://www.shopfloortalk.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=35)
-   -   Knives (https://www.shopfloortalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=49367)

milomilo 04-16-2018 10:00 AM

Knives

Posting this for USMCPOP. You may have already seen this, but if not, thought you might like this.

USMCPOP 04-16-2018 04:05 PM

Thanks, Chris! I've helped forge a blade or three overseas. It is hot, hard work in the tropics! Some of the techniques here are different than what I'm used to. These are more modern - they actually have electricity and grinders! I'm used to seeing a small, thick blank fully forged out to net shape, finished with a draw knife and a wee touch of a file. Only the initial stubby blank was hot chiseled from a truck spring.

I do like the fact that they seem to have the heat about right when forging. Quenching techniques seem to vary a lot. My blacksmith guy paid special attention to getting the edge evenly red, then quenched spine first. Only for a second. Not a chance dip-dip like that guy. Then he immediately put it back over the fire and carefully drew the temper. He had some sort of clay mud wash he used prior to hardening, presumably to prevent oxidation so he could then gauge the temper color as he wiped it with a rag.

He did let me work the manual air pump when he was forging and tempering. I could tell by his mumbling when I was doing it wrong. Just wish I'd had more experience - I could have learned a lot more.

Thanks again. I have butt-loads more of the knives if you have't cut off your fingers yet.

Edit: The video was posted by the "Bush Channel". I saw one of his videos about Thai blacksmiths. In one, they were talking about how they glued the handles to the stick tang of the knife. The Thai interpreter said it was something from ants. I was the one who pointed out that the "glue" was "stick Lac", the insect secretion from the Lac insects. What we know in the refined form as Shellac. I still have a couple twigs given to me by a Thai blacksmith, and a few cakes of what they sell in the market. The original hot glue.

milomilo 04-16-2018 05:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by USMCPOP (Post 710591)
Thanks, Chris! I've helped forge a blade or two overseas. It is hot, hard work! Some of the techniques here are different than what I'm used to. These are more modern - they actually have electricity and grinders! I'm used to seeing a small, thick blank fully forged out to net shape, finished with a draw knife and a wee touch of a file. Only the initial stubby blank was hot chiseled from a truck spring.

I do like the fact that they seem to have the heat about right when forging. Quenching techniques seem to vary a lot. My blacksmith guy paid special attention to getting the edge evenly red, then quenched spine first. Only for a second. Not a chance dip-dip like that guy. Then he put it back over the fire and carefully drew the temper. He had some sort of clay mud wash he used prior to hardening, presumably to prevent oxidation so he could then gauge the temper color as he wiped it with a rag.

He did let me work the manual air pump when he was forging and tempering. I could tell by his mumbling when I was doing it wrong. Just wish I'd had more experience - I could have learned a lot more.

Thanks again. I have butt-loads more of the knives if you have't cut off your fingers yet.

I have used your knives a few times each year. The missus asked once where I kept them and of course, I asked why. She says she might need to use one sometime. I said NOT. Still have all the knives and the digits.:D

USMCPOP 04-17-2018 06:18 PM

Chris, I'd be happy to send the little lady a blade of her own. Chopper or stabber? Your choice. :devil:

milomilo 04-17-2018 09:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by USMCPOP (Post 710673)
Chris, I'd be happy to send the little lady a blade of her own. Chopper or stabber? Your choice. :devil:

Appreciate the offer, but I cringe seeing her use a knife in the kitchen.:eek: Seeing her take a full arm swing with a 16" blade is not something I want to witness.

I can just see her trying to cut a tree root down in the dirt. She has no respect, fear or appreciation for using the right tools. For now at least, I will do any serious cutting that needs done.

LW Hiway 04-29-2018 02:25 PM

Chris, thanks for posting this thread.

Pop, appreciate your response as well.

I've got three 'go to' machete's at the farm and one here at the apt. The farm and apt has one each kept within grabbing distance from my BR at the farm and next to my bed as well at the apt. Of course, having a pair of Glocks, one here and the other at the farm allows me to not having to decide which to grab when necessary. lol

Two of the machete's returned home with my Dad at the end of his enlistment at wars end. One American made ant the other Japanese or possibly from Guam or one of the other hot spots they had an airbase at.

I prefer a thick blade of a good 20 or so inches or a tad more as I do use them at times for clearing brush and vine on the place for initial access. Of course the tractor and back blade works equally well. lol

USMCPOP 04-29-2018 03:14 PM

I have a bunch of hand-forged Thai knives that have thick but somewhat shorter blades. But they have very long handles. In the last year or so, I've accumulated a LOT of South-American/African machetes on closeout deals. Thinner but up to 22" long blades. I do have two new-old-stock Collins machetes (18" & 20") which are quite a bit thicker.

It all depends on the use. Thin and long can be used to whack weeds and small twigs all day long. The Thai knives are good on small limbs and saplings, especially hardwood. Or dried wood.

Pretty soon, I'm going to thin out the herd if anyone is in need. Probably have a hundred or so.

allessence 05-14-2018 07:03 PM

Pretty cool vid... I've seen a bunch that they have posted..

Nearly all of them work more like I do..

These days it seems there are a few that guide the masses,, Right, wrong or indifferent...

milomilo 05-14-2018 08:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by allessence (Post 712920)
Pretty cool vid... I've seen a bunch that they have posted..

Nearly all of them work more like I do..

These days it seems there are a few that guide the masses,, Right, wrong or indifferent...

Just watched your latest YT vids. As usual, you are quite a master at what you do.

allessence 06-04-2018 04:48 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Thanks Chris, I am just now starting to feel better about my smithing skills.. I really figured it would take me about a year to come back up to speed after taking off all those years..

But now it's apparent with me getting older and in poorer shape I need to smith more often and more intensely to really feel good about what I am doing.

I really feel I have another year of smithing 3 or 4 times a week to get some mastery back..

This past weekend I spent with the NEB teaching a whole bunch of people how to forge weld as we had a working Spring meet and I chose a welded shovel handle (20 shovels to make) and a 2X welded handle for a side poker also 20 to make.. I gave each person the option for 1 or 2 welds on the side pokers.. I had a few who wanted to do the 2X.. Everybody who was there learned how to forge weld and every one of them even someone who never forged before learned the skill..

There were 30 die hards with a bunch of other rotating in and out.. Everybody learn forge welding..