Shop Floor Talk

Shop Floor Talk (https://www.shopfloortalk.com/forums/index.php)
-   Shop & Safety (https://www.shopfloortalk.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=22)
-   -   Box Joint Sled (https://www.shopfloortalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=52739)

milomilo 01-10-2021 05:16 PM

Box Joint Sled

4 Attachment(s)
I got a 6' tall drawer rack from Bubba a couple years ago and decided to get with the program and make some drawers for it to store tooling for the mill and the lathe. Tooling for the mill is sitting on the bench under the mill gathering all kinds of dust.

The drawer rack was built for electronics. The drawer slides are full extension. Got the slides put in a couple days back. Will have a couple 10" tall drawers and the rest will be 2",4" and 5". The slides are not yet set by drawer size yet.

I have a adjustable dado blade I have had for years, but it is only 6" so I needed to get an 8" in order to raise the blade high enough on the table saw. Got a Diablo stacked set made by Freud that will do 1/4" to 7/8" dados. I am doing 1/2" dados for these drawers.

Using some 1x6x8' pine I had stored out in the pasture semi van for the last 4 years. I will need to get some wider boards for the taller drawers. The dado set has a shim set from .002 to .06 for fine tuning.

Had to build a dado slide for the table saw to make it all work. Copied the design here with a couple changes.

Still have not decide what to use to cover the outside of the drawer rack yet. Probably use some 1/8" paneling I have out in the hay barn to keep the dust out.

milomilo 01-10-2021 05:22 PM

4 Attachment(s)
More pics. Drawer bottoms will be 1/4" plywood. A couple test samples and the small piece in the last pic is used to start the dado offset for the drawer sides. Drawer dimensions are 19" deep and 16-3/4" wide

Shade Tree Welder 01-10-2021 06:57 PM

Nice, I have always liked the look of a good box joint.

milomilo 01-10-2021 07:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shade Tree Welder (Post 766224)
Nice, I have always liked the look of a good box joint.

Me too. Unfortunately I am finding the 1x6 boards are not a uniform width. Seems I should have ran them through the table saw prior to doing the dados.:o Now I will need to run them through the table saw after assembly to make them a uniform width. Not a big deal just more work.

LKeithR 01-10-2021 08:30 PM

Now that you've got that figured out make those corner joints in a dovetail...:devil:

milomilo 01-10-2021 09:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LKeithR (Post 766228)
Now that you've got that figured out make those corner joints in a dovetail...:devil:

I have a dovetail jig. Make nice joints too. This time just picked the box joint.

digr 01-10-2021 10:21 PM

Nice! I think I would make two three footers, Is that a old Black and Decker drill stand back there?

milomilo 01-10-2021 11:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by digr (Post 766234)
Nice! I think I would make two three footers, Is that a old Black and Decker drill stand back there?

I will look tomorrow and take a better pics. It is a gear reduction so larger bits work well.

milomilo 01-11-2021 08:34 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Got all the dado slots cut this morning. Then cut the 1/4" plywood drawer bottoms and glued up the first drawer. Hope to glue up a few more drawers tomorrow.

milomilo 01-12-2021 06:16 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by digr (Post 766234)

Sorry, a day late. It is a Van Norman gear reduction.