Shop Floor Talk

Shop Floor Talk (https://www.shopfloortalk.com/forums/index.php)
-   Fabrication (https://www.shopfloortalk.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   Looking for input or links (https://www.shopfloortalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3720)

wayne64 06-18-2005 08:03 PM

Looking for input or links

on two products. Only once in my career did I have to use these and it was years ago. if memory serves they were about 6" long, 3/8" dia. with a 3/8 thread on one end and a wood thread on the other. They would be screwed into an overhead beam and using a rod coupling drop a rod for a pipe hanger. Are they still being made?
The other thing I need for the upcoming project is a 2 part epoxy like product that is used with threaded rod when you drill into brick or concrete block to attach a ledger board. I have heard there is stuff that would work better than stud anchors etc.

boilerman 06-18-2005 08:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wayne64
on two products. Only once in my career did I have to use these and it was years ago. if memory serves they were about 6" long, 3/8" dia. with a 3/8 thread on one end and a wood thread on the other. They would be screwed into an overhead beam and using a rod coupling drop a rod for a pipe hanger. Are they still being made?

yes they are still around ....can't remember the name(wood anchors???) try fastenal company

Franz 06-18-2005 09:10 PM

Back in the day mechanics knew what they were doing, and the guy behind the parts counter knew what he was selling they were called table leg screws.
In today's marketplace they're probably thingys with a funny thread on one end and a nut thread on the other.

As far as Epoxy anchors go, everybody from Hilti to Star makes them, but be prepared to inhale oxygen when youhear the price. Epoxy anchors are OK, if you ain't paying for them, and have time to install them and let the cure fully work. Dynabolts are a lot cheaper and quicker.

Wyoming 06-18-2005 09:19 PM

When I installed some of my shop's overhead air line I used a similar product to the table leg bolts, but they had a female thread on the bolt thread end. Easier to mate up with an all-thread drop for the pipe hanger. If you're interested, I'll run down to the shop and get a photo of some that were left over and then head to the industrial supply Monday to find the manufacturer's name and part number for them.

toolaholic 06-18-2005 09:58 PM

we do earthquake retro work

the best product is hilti second is simpson epoxy. you'll need to buy or rent a gun. we use all hilti and use $450.oo air guns

home chepo carries both brands

plumbers supply [a real one ] should have your hangers

Pile Buck 06-19-2005 06:25 AM

Wayne I would think any fastener store would carry those lag bolts your looking for, seems as I have even seen them at our local ACE hardware! But if it has something to do with wood, I immediately turn and go the other direction! :eek: I can’t remember the name of this epoxy; I’ve used them a few times. Last time I used them we had to drill holes in an existing concrete dock and epoxy re-bar into it, to tie the new concrete caps to the old cap. They come in a glass vial; you order the dia. vial for the size hole you will be drilling. In each box of epoxy you get an agitator. Install the agitator in a ½-drill motor. Insert the vial in the hole, jam the agitator in on top of the vial hard enough to break the vial, stir it up a bit, then insert bolt, re-bar what ever. I’ve used this more in vertical walls, than in the floor. On this one particular job we had to do a pull test to get approval for the product, of course I don’t remember the numbers, but it must have passed. Have know Idea how much they cost. At that point in time, I wasn’t the one filling out the PO’s :)

wayne64 06-19-2005 08:22 AM

Wyoming and Pile Buck

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wyoming
When I installed some of my shop's overhead air line I used a similar product to the table leg bolts, but they had a female thread on the bolt thread end. Easier to mate up with an all-thread drop for the pipe hanger. If you're interested, I'll run down to the shop and get a photo of some that were left over and then head to the industrial supply Monday to find the manufacturer's name and part number for them.

Don't make a special trip for this as the female end will not work in my application. I only mentioned how I once used them and should have gave more info the current use. I have to attach ledger boards for two small decks. On one wall there is a brick veneer and the house rim joist behind with a 1" space between. If it was easy access I could drill all the way through and fish plate in the basement, but the basement is finished. This is where the table leg 3/8 ones will work, if I can get them long enough. The other ledger gets attached to the brickfaced and concrete block garage wall. This is where the epoxy and threaded rod would work.
Yes we used those glass drop-ins once at Rock Center and we also tested them against the typical stud anchors and expanision shields. The epoxy out performed them all in a concrete blind hole floor installation, as long as the hole was dust free. looks like a trip to home depot is in order.

Pile Buck 06-19-2005 11:36 AM

Hey Wayne, I know this is the dock builder in me, but why not just use long lag bolts, and run them home with an impact wrench? Those table legs will require too much lay out, fu*k that, pre-drill that ledger board, set in place, and knock your self out running home long lag bolts with an electric impact. Can you tell I’m a finish carpenter? :rolleyes:

Franz 06-19-2005 11:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pile Buck
Hey Wayne, I know this is the dock builder in me, but why not just use long lag bolts, and run them home with an impact wrench? Those table legs will require too much lay out, fu*k that, pre-drill that ledger board, set in place, and knock your self out running home long lag bolts with an electric impact. Can you tell I’m a finish carpenter? :rolleyes:

I didn't know you came from Finland.

Pile Buck 06-19-2005 11:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Franz
I didn't know you came from Finland.

Gees, did I spell that word wrong too :eek: I give up ;)