Shop Floor Talk

Shop Floor Talk (https://www.shopfloortalk.com/forums/index.php)
-   Machining (https://www.shopfloortalk.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=21)
-   -   Do not immerse in hot water... (https://www.shopfloortalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=39251)

dubby 08-11-2013 06:02 PM

Do not immerse in hot water...

1 Attachment(s)
Or it just might shrink. :o

I've been trying my damndest to find funding to buy a CNC mill. I wanted a Tormach center, and even made the drive down to Austin to the dealer to pick out options and get a full quote and demo. I decided to go pick it up today, and wouldn't you know on the way home it started to rain. Since it was hot all day today, the rain was kinda hot. And the darn thing shrunk...and turned into a Sherline :(

I guess this will have to do for now. ;)

GWIZ 08-11-2013 06:17 PM

From that other thread.
I guess you did not do that trade, one of your Sherline lathes for a Sherline mill ?

PixMan 08-11-2013 06:18 PM

Congrats on the new toy....because that's what it is compared to my new-to-me 1983 Alliant 42VC with a Prototrak Plus control. :devil:

I can't help but notice a "Haas" sticker on there. Are you sure that didn't start out as a Haas TM1 mill? :)

dubby 08-11-2013 10:20 PM

Well, no.... from the other thread we've still been talking back and forth. Neither of us are up on our games or in too big a hurry. That trade may still happen just so I have spare parts.

This little guy showed up on CL a couple days ago. I took a trip out to the fella's house today and just had to put a deposit down on it until Momma's bank opens up this week. My current controller software should run the mill, but until it's all plugged in and ready to run there's no way to test it. If it does work, I'll be sitting purdy. If not, I'm going to be spending a lot more money I don't have (read, this project will sit on the back burner until I win the lotto) to get it working. Even if I pieced it out, I'd still be ahead on the deal. It's coming with another extra...that's going to get a "what's it for thread'. I'm almost as excited about that as the machine, lol.

I've been thinking about just how much money that little sherline CNC money has made compared to what's invested. I believe we've put $3500 or so into it, and has produced nearly $90k worth of product at retail. They're definitely "toy" machines, yet if you treat them right I think they still have a very valid place in a home hobbyist shop. Ultimately, I'd love to let this little guy pay to get it's big brother home. By my calculations, it's doable but it might take me a year or more. Family didn't want to invest, bankers laughed. Find another damn way to do it then, ya know?

Hopefully I can really get it home on Tuesday. I have a procedure scheduled tomorrow morning on my back, so have to get through that first.

GWIZ 08-12-2013 12:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dubby (Post 562728)

My current controller software should run the mill, but until it's all plugged in and ready to run there's no way to test it.

If it does work, I'll be sitting purdy. If not, I'm going to be spending a lot more money I don't have (read, this project will sit on the back burner until I win the lotto) to get it working. Even if I pieced it out, I'd still be ahead on the deal. It's coming with another extra...that's going to get a "what's it for thread'. I'm almost as excited about that as the machine, lol.

You did not say what all you are getting.
does this also come with the control board that plugs into the computer, being that the mill is three axis and the lathe being two axis.
Do you get or have a three axis board?

clive 08-12-2013 04:05 AM

Your comment "the bankers laughed" reminded me of a story I heard years ago. A woman in Rotorua New Zealand had an idea for a tourist attraction and got the same reaction from the bank.
She managed to get the funds from family and friends and started the business. She made a huge amount of money then went into the bank told the manager what an arsehole he was and withdrew all of her money and went to another bank plus made it public in the newspaper. That must have been sweet. Hopefully you will be able to do the same someday.
Clive

dubby 08-12-2013 10:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GWIZ (Post 562739)
You did not say what all you are getting.
does this also come with the control board that plugs into the computer, being that the mill is three axis and the lathe being two axis.
Do you get or have a three axis board?

Oof...sorry. The control board for the lathe will actually handle three axis. Included in this new purchase is the cable that connects to the card and runs to the power supply and motors--very important. Then I am getting a 4-axis capable power supply, and the mill itself.

Speaking on that, I blew a power supply in my controller computer on Saturday. I spent most of the day hitting thrift shops to find a Win95/98 capable computer with ISA slots. I've known all along that I should be keeping an eye out, but I didn't and of course the gremlins attacked when I wasn't ready. I managed to find two 'new' boxes, both loaded with memory, HD's, and a bunch of other parts to keep as spares. I swapped out the motion control card and hard drive and was back in business.

Oddly though, the actual lathe time slowed down. I havn't figured out what's going on with it yet, but my feeds are different now and I'll have to tinker with them. Since this system uses a timer instead of encoders to 'know' where the motors are, I guess it has something to do with the speed of the computer.

LW Hiway 08-12-2013 11:11 AM

Good luck on the coming acquisition Dub. Being familiar with banks etc I can understand most of what your going through. But, hang tough and it will happen.

dubby 08-12-2013 11:43 AM

Yeah, I don't get that whole deal. I could likely walk onto any car lot and sign my name a couple times and drive off the lot with a brand new $40k pickup truck. To get financing on a machine tool, you have to show two years worth of business fiscals, have outstanding personal credit, and they'd still like some form of collateral.

The pickup can go anywhere in the world relatively easy. It'll get bashed in every parking lot, and it'll sit in the street/yard/pasture/driveway. It has to go into the shop every 3-5000 miles for overpriced service and maintenance that it may or may not need. It'll lose the bulk of it's value as soon as the front tire hits the street. The machine is gonna sit in the corner, in the same spot it gets delivered in. It'll be stored indoors, covered from the rain, hail, sun, and wind. It won't need new tires or lots of weird maintenance. It won't even depreciate that much, comparatively.

It's just not on anyone's agenda to finance a tool that will make money, possibly leading to more spending. They'd much rather pander to the consumerism.

dubby 08-15-2013 01:15 AM

I am pleased...

3 Attachment(s)
I got up early this morning. Had to have been 9:30 or so. Gave the seller a call and went and picked up my new rig.

It looks much better in my shop than it did in his garage. The enclosure is very stout, but the plexi/lexan has a few cracks in the corners. I don't know if I'll bother with it, but I may build some metal plates to reinforce them before they crack. It has two spring latches on each side that lock it in the up position, both must be pushed down before it'll close.

The mill has full limit sensors, as well as a case sensor that cuts power if the lid is open. That could be a hassle, but as long as I don't get in a hurry I think I'll learn to live with it. It's probably safer that way and since the kids are learning on this equipment as much as I am the extra protection is welcome.

Dot1 was amazed at how clean it was and said on the drive home, "I bet in an hour it's as filthy as the other one..." I won today, but mostly because I didn't have time to turn it on or she mighta been right :D