Shop Floor Talk

Shop Floor Talk (https://www.shopfloortalk.com/forums/index.php)
-   Machining (https://www.shopfloortalk.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=21)
-   -   Another band saw thread.....Sorry (https://www.shopfloortalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=8736)

rmack898 09-22-2006 07:54 PM

Another band saw thread.....Sorry

OK, I have spent the last few days reading countless band saw threads and my head was spinning. Last week I was about to go pick up a HF 4x6 and decided to look around a little bit more. I have read just about every band saw thread on every forum and a years worth of the Yahoo 4x6 group. I finally decided to go for the JET (not really 5x6). Then I spent many hours trying to find the best deal on it. $275 plus $80 shipping is the best I have found yet. I was almost ready to place the order with Penn tools when I came accross the Rong Fu 5" band saw ($225)http://www.penntoolco.com/catalog/pr...ategoryID=4786. In the pictures, I can't tell the difference between it and the JET. Does anyone have this saw or has anyone ever seen it? From what I have read about Rong Fu, their stuff is a better quality than the mainland Chinese junk and they make a half way decent Bport knock off. Any and all input is welcome. Even a better deal on the JET.

cutter 09-22-2006 09:32 PM

Mack, I still do not believe there is a dimes worth of difference between the cheapest version of thaat saw
and the most expensive one you can dig up except the paint. I still stand by my little Homier swivel-head but
I suspect most of the parts come out of the same molds.

Marcus 09-23-2006 03:51 AM

I bought the Jet from a local dealer and paid about $275. No shipping because it was local. I think it was worth the extra to me because the leg stand was much stronger than the HF model. If I remember right, the blade guides were better than the one offered by HF at the time. That may have changed by now. I've read a lot about people having to change out bad motors too.

On the other hand, I'm sure you have seen some of the cool stands that people have made for the HF saws. It just depends on how much you want to play with the saw. Personally, I like the stand that came with the saw because you need to be able to access the bottom of the saw to set the angle of the vice jaw. Some of the stands that have the drip trays don't seem to leave that access. I also welded "T" handles on the angle adjusting bolts and levers to the nuts so that it doesn't require tools to do that adjustment.

If you were going to do a whole lot of odd angle cutting in a tight space where the saw needed to stay stationary, you might want to look at the one that Cutter bought. It allows you to change the angle on the cut without having to swing the work or the whole saw stand.

The one complaint I had about my saw was that it came with a really crappy blade. The teeth started breaking on the first cut. It seems that they all come with a lousy blade. Just be prepared to buy a good bi-metal blade.

cutter 09-23-2006 10:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sirarcalot

The one complaint I had about my saw was that it came with a really crappy blade. The teeth started breaking on the first cut. It seems that they all come with a lousy blade. Just be prepared to buy a good bi-metal blade.

The crappy factory blade is a given. Too bad, but that's just the way it is.
I looked at Grizzley, ShopFox & Homier before buying my little saw & the only difference was price & paint.
A local dealer carries the ShopFox & he was asking $325 for it. IIRC, Grizzley charges $425 for theirs & I think
I paid $189 plus tax. I don't want to over-praise it but it has done everything I would reasonably
expect it to do. The biggest problem is availability because the Homier traveling tool gypsy shows are
regional & I just got lucky on that.

1911man 09-23-2006 11:10 AM

I have the HF 4x6 and I see no difference other than color and price. HF has them on sale for $149 and if you use a 20% coupon, it's a no brainer IMO. Above comments apply but to me the height of the saw is the best reason to build your own base for it. Good luck!

X-ray 09-23-2006 11:24 AM

Have you thought about one of these: http://www.shopfloortalk.com/forums/...hlight=bandsaw

:cool:

rmack898 09-23-2006 11:28 AM

Done deal

Well I normally like to buy the best tool there is for a given job, but my needs in this case just don't justify an Ellis or a saw of that caliber. On the other hand, I don't need to spend hours tweeking on a saw to make it do what it was designed to do.......cut straight. I ordered the JET and it should be here some time next week. Unforunately, the best price I could find was from a vendor in NJ so our newly raised sales tax of 7% applies.

Thanks for all the feedback and I'll let you all know how it works right out of the box.

rmack898 09-27-2006 09:49 PM

It came today

Well the JET saw showed up today but it was busy so it sat on the pallet all day. I was getting ready to open it up and check it out when I was reminded that it was back to school night....so much for that. Got out to the shop and spent almost 45 minutes putting it together. A quick check of the blade tension, blade set for 120 fpm and threw in a piece of 1x2x16ga tube, hit the switch and let it go. Nice square cut, feed pressure as set by factory, and shut off worked without adjustment. With one good cut, this saw is batting 1000. 4:30am comes quickly so I'm out of here for tonight. So far, so good. I'll let you know if the batting average takes a dump.

cutter 09-28-2006 12:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rmack898
Well the JET saw showed up today but it was busy so it sat on the pallet all day. I was getting ready to open it up and check it out when I was reminded that it was back to school night....so much for that. Got out to the shop and spent almost 45 minutes putting it together. A quick check of the blade tension, blade set for 120 fpm and threw in a piece of 1x2x16ga tube, hit the switch and let it go. Nice square cut, feed pressure as set by factory, and shut off worked without adjustment. With one good cut, this saw is batting 1000. 4:30am comes quickly so I'm out of here for tonight. So far, so good. I'll let you know if the batting average takes a dump.

Good for you, Mack. If you find the time to do a review & some pictures of it, I'd like to add your saw to the
"bandsaw review" thread in the Index.

tigman47 11-28-2006 11:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cutter
Mack, I still do not believe there is a dimes worth of difference between the cheapest version of thaat saw
and the most expensive one you can dig up except the paint. I still stand by my little Homier swivel-head but
I suspect most of the parts come out of the same molds.

There is one big difference in these saws, some have a bolt on the guide head that allows you to adjust the blade tracking.