Shop Floor Talk

Shop Floor Talk (https://www.shopfloortalk.com/forums/index.php)
-   Shop & Safety (https://www.shopfloortalk.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=22)
-   -   any electricians on here? questions! (https://www.shopfloortalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=14080)

randydupree 01-28-2008 10:04 PM

any electricians on here? questions!

i called a company to update the service going into my warehouse.
i need two meters,one for the house,one for the shop,single phase.
the meters are going to be 50' from the load centers,so i need a disconnect at each meter.
two 200 amp load centers and wire to do the job.
so,pull permit,install 2 meter pans with disconnects,run wire in conduit 50' then drill through a 12'' thick wall to the load centers.
the conduit will be under the eve of the building,25' off the ground.

2 meter pans with disconnects
conduit
wire
2-200 amp load centers
labor.

the meters will be side X side and the load centers will be side X side too.

the quote was $6400.
sounds high to me,what do you guys think?
Randy

precisionworks 01-28-2008 11:29 PM

They are probably figuring two people at a total of $250 per hour, or $2000 per day for two days. Add a bucket truck to reach the high eave location, add materials, and the cost may not be too high.

Certainly worth getting another quote or two.

Shade Tree Welder 01-29-2008 12:07 AM

If that included Labor and material. I would not call it outrageous but I agree get another quote or 2.

10 or 11 years ago I put in the service in my shop 400 meter socket conduit and 2 x 200 panels with mains ran me around $800-1000 IIRC. And the panels were just inside the wall from the meter. So I did not need the disconnects.

Why don't you just put in one 400 amp meter socket and split the 2 panels off the one meter?

midmosandblasting 01-29-2008 07:39 AM

Randy is trying to be nice with the tax boys. The busines will not be paying for home electric.Guessing 2 days High lift ,2 man days ,2 meter sockets ,2 disconnects ,100 foot of OO copper ,100 foot 2.5 condiut ,2 Circute panels ,price of non union labor ,may not be that far out.You are paying for that off floor work.

randydupree 01-29-2008 08:31 AM

yep,for tax reasons i need 2 meters.
i guess i was hoping for a $3000 bill for the work,and i do know that copper is high prices right now.
My contractor buddy says that he gets 3 bids for his jobs.
just to keep them honest!
and the company that gave me the quote is always right in there on the money,plus Billy says they do the best work...
what to do?
i'm going to call a few friends around here today,just for fun.
Randy

randydupree 01-29-2008 11:06 PM

no electricians on here?
Randy

cutter 01-29-2008 11:41 PM

Electricians all make too much money to hang out with us. :)

Paychk 01-30-2008 12:57 AM

Just a first year apprentice...so I don't know squat ;) Price of copper is coming down; at least in my area. What you could do is bounce the material prices quoted against the box stores. As far as labor; in this part of the world, non-union industrial electricians are getting $35 an hour, so the company charges the customer alot more to have one at your door.

Wish I could be more help

Alan

Corey07 01-30-2008 07:10 PM

Randy,
I'd like nothing more than to be able to tell you it is out of line, but without seeing it I really can't. Could you post a rough sketch with some more detail, etc? Two separate risers or one single 400A riser? A standard service upgrade on a house can run about $2500 here, so they may be pretty close. For sure get at least two more quotes though. If you were in KS I'm almost sure I could work some kind of deal out with you..:D

randydupree 01-30-2008 08:57 PM

i'm going to guess it will have one weatherhead,going down to a double meter pan/box ,below the meter pan/box will be the disconnects,then up under the eve and along the wall 50' and then down and then through the wall to 2-200 amp load centers.
i have no idea how to do a drawing and put it on here.
(how do i get these crayon marks off my screen?)
Randy