Shop Floor Talk

Shop Floor Talk (https://www.shopfloortalk.com/forums/index.php)
-   Fabrication (https://www.shopfloortalk.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   DIY Farm Impliments (https://www.shopfloortalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=53715)

CaddmannQ 04-19-2022 11:49 PM

I don't know much else about them except I was told never to put water in the front tires. The steering knuckles can't take the inertia of such heavy wheels if you smack a rock or something.

Ironman 04-21-2022 09:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CaddmannQ (Post 783094)
I don't know much else about them except I was told never to put water in the front tires. The steering knuckles can't take the inertia of such heavy wheels if you smack a rock or something.

My understanding of weighted wheels is that the weight has little to do with the tractor as the tractor is not carrying the weight. It is born by the tires only.
That has always appealed to me rather than the concrete block 3 point hitch arrangement.
The front wheels of this little critter already have factory cast iron weights on them. I can't see the percentage on liquid in the front tires, I doubt if they would hold more than a gallon.
I have been toying with the thought of getting beetjuice in the rear tires. The machine is 1600 lb at present.
In the US this would be considered a "grey market" tractor as it was imported and bypassed US regs. We don't have this as the court judgement in the US does not affect us.
If it went through the US dealers, it would have only 2 pto speeds, that is the quick identifier here.

Ironman 04-23-2022 07:53 AM

So I tacked everything in place and rotated it by hand.
I've let it stew in my head overnight, and I've come to the conclusion I need to redo the crank mechanism, as the stroke is way to ridiculous.

So, back to re-figuring that one.

milomilo 04-23-2022 09:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ironman (Post 783214)
So I tacked everything in place and rotated it by hand.
I've let it stew in my head overnight, and I've come to the conclusion I need to redo the crank mechanism, as the stroke is way to ridiculous.

So, back to re-figuring that one.

OOOHHH. R1 begins. It always works that way when doing complicated mechanisms.

Ironman 04-23-2022 10:01 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by milomilo (Post 783216)
OOOHHH. R1 begins. It always works that way when doing complicated mechanisms.

Yes, everything else works out but I found this home made rig and it's in line with what I'm doing, but look at the crank difference.:eek:

milomilo 04-23-2022 12:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ironman (Post 783219)
Yes, everything else works out but I found this home made rig and it's in line with what I'm doing, but look at the crank difference.:eek:

Looks like more of a vibration than cutting.:)

Whitetrash 04-23-2022 09:36 PM

Josh was telling me about a new to him toy he borrowed from another city department. To run wire to sprinklers on the golf course that were never wired into the system and have to be manually controlled. It's a "Vibratory Plow"? I think that's what he called it. It makes a slit trench and drags the wires to where you want them. He can control 95+% of the irrigation on the Indian Peaks golf course with his I-Pad. Wiring in the stragglers will make it 100%.

randydupree 04-24-2022 06:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by milomilo (Post 783220)
Looks like more of a vibration than cutting.:)

I was thinking vibration would do it,but i have never cut garlic and never seen a machine like that.
I have seen the wire vibrator thing,my buddy built one with a hydraulic motor on it with a counter weight on the motors shaft,it worked well.

Ironman 04-24-2022 08:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by randydupree (Post 783247)
I was thinking vibration would do it,but i have never cut garlic and never seen a machine like that.
I have seen the wire vibrator thing,my buddy built one with a hydraulic motor on it with a counter weight on the motors shaft,it worked well.

Vibration would probably do it. I have noted in using the present undercutter, that roots tend to wrap around the blade and often increase the effort to pull it. I clean the knife at the end of the row. Some of the roots are garlic, poplar siphoning nutrients from the garden, and weed roots.
I feel that a back and forth motion, like wiping your feet, will help clear the blade.

camdigger 04-24-2022 03:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ironman (Post 783253)
Vibration would probably do it. I have noted in using the present undercutter, that roots tend to wrap around the blade and often increase the effort to pull it. I clean the knife at the end of the row. Some of the roots are garlic, poplar siphoning nutrients from the garden, and weed roots.
I feel that a back and forth motion, like wiping your feet, will help clear the blade.

Did you get the ripper we discussed to deal with the poplar roots built?