Shop Floor Talk

Shop Floor Talk (https://www.shopfloortalk.com/forums/index.php)
-   Fabrication (https://www.shopfloortalk.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   Concrete Block Fillerupper (https://www.shopfloortalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=50876)

threepiece 05-13-2019 11:30 AM

Concrete Block Fillerupper

1 Attachment(s)
I will be laying concrete block for the first time soon. After the blocks are in place I plan to fill the cavities with grout. As usual I have tried to develop ways to simplify (or sometimes complicate) the process.

This device was made from a used 10 gallon air tank. The idea is to fill the tank with grout while suspended vertically. The tank will then be lifted into place over the block with the loader or back hoe and the gate valve opened releasing the grout.

I have a funnel made that will be used in conjunction with this dumping pot.

It's a bit late for a design change but if anyone has a suggestion for improvement please feel free to express. As I said this is new to me.

The picture was taken while the pot was upside down showing the gate valve.

threepiece 05-13-2019 11:37 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Close up of gate valve. The latch is also the handle. The latch is held in the striker under the force of its own deflection.

threepiece 05-13-2019 11:40 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Valve open

milomilo 05-13-2019 12:37 PM

Ought to work. The only comment I have is to use concrete. cheaper and stronger than most grouts.

digger doug 05-13-2019 12:45 PM

The simplest grout pump sold is nothing more than a rubber diaphragm
boat bailing pump, bolted to a board to step on.

what you have there, I built one for a contractor friend, is called a "Tremie"

Steeveedee 05-13-2019 03:08 PM

Are you using rebar as well? That looks a lot more convenient than the trowel I ladled my grout in with.

You can use a random orbital sander with a rubber pad to vibrate the blocks enough to get the grout to settle and bring air to the top.

platypus20 05-13-2019 05:07 PM

My grandfather (father’s side) was a mason, who built many house foundations, in the 50-60s housing boom. He would put up 5-6 blocks, drop in a Ballantine Ale bottle, in the center of one of the blocks, then repeat the process, all day long. The grandfather never drove, my brother use to drop him off in the morning with 2 cases of Ballantine, at lunch time my brother would drop off his lunch, 2 liverwurst and limburger cheese sandwiches and another case of Ballantine. If he ran out of ale, he stopped working.

My other brother, said the most vivid memory of him, was it being about 45-50 degrees out, wearing work pants, work boots and a “wife beater” t-shirt, sweating like a pig. He said a 16 oz Ballantine Ale bottle was 3-4 gulps and it was gone.

milomilo 05-13-2019 10:18 PM

What is the purpose of the blocks?

digger doug 05-14-2019 07:55 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by milomilo (Post 736083)
What is the purpose of the blocks?

He's building a wall.....:D

Ironman 05-14-2019 08:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by platypus20 (Post 736072)
My grandfather (father’s side) was a mason, who built many house foundations, in the 50-60s housing boom. He would put up 5-6 blocks, drop in a Ballantine Ale bottle, in the center of one of the blocks, then repeat the process, all day long. The grandfather never drove, my brother use to drop him off in the morning with 2 cases of Ballantine, at lunch time my brother would drop off his lunch, 2 liverwurst and limburger cheese sandwiches and another case of Ballantine. If he ran out of ale, he stopped working.

My other brother, said the most vivid memory of him, was it being about 45-50 degrees out, wearing work pants, work boots and a “wife beater” t-shirt, sweating like a pig. He said a 16 oz Ballantine Ale bottle was 3-4 gulps and it was gone.

I've known that Platypus drink, but I never knew they laid blocks:D