Shop Floor Talk

Shop Floor Talk (https://www.shopfloortalk.com/forums/index.php)
-   Shop & Safety (https://www.shopfloortalk.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=22)
-   -   Another Vise That I Don't Need (https://www.shopfloortalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=50867)

threepiece 05-10-2019 11:01 AM

Another Vise That I Don't Need

A few minutes ago I was about to start a thread asking for opinions about buying a very large Wilton bullet vise. Well I just called and offered $100 for it and the seller agreed to sell. I go tomorrow to pick it up.

I saw the vise this morning mounted to a very heavy bench. I bought the 6" Ridgid swivel vise that was also attached. I intended to buy the whole package deal but at over 3000 lbs. it was just too heavy for me to manage at this time.

Pictures coming soon!

threepiece 05-11-2019 05:34 AM

1 Attachment(s)
A picture of the table and vises.

I could probably load the table on my truck upside down then simply slide it off on to a few blocks on the ground when I unloa it at my place. When it's time to move it again I could pull it back on to the truck with the bed mounted winch and ramps.

The question is do I really need it? I'm going this morning to take another look.

toprecycler 05-11-2019 06:49 AM

Hell yes you need that. Everyone should have a bench like that.[emoji4][emoji4][emoji33][emoji4]

Sent from my iPhone using ShopFloorTalk

milomilo 05-11-2019 08:49 AM

Get in the truck and go!!!!

Ironman 05-11-2019 09:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by toprecycler (Post 735912)
Hell yes you need that. Everyone should have a bench like that.[emoji4][emoji4][emoji33][emoji4]

Yes, indeed.
Mine is only an inch thick....I should have aimed higher.

threepiece 05-11-2019 07:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by toprecycler (Post 735912)
Everyone should have a bench like that.

Agreed however I alread have five all steel benches that are over 1000 lbs. each. Three of them are nearly 2000 lbs. each.

I am not fond of the size of this table. It is too large for my liking. If I wish to build large I have a heavy built chassis jig that can be assembled in varying lengths from five to twenty feet. When stacked for storage it occupies about 8 sq.ft. of floor space. A table like the one shown essentially remains a permanent fixture in the shop.

threepiece 05-11-2019 07:20 PM

2 Attachment(s)
I have never seen the 8" Wilton bullet vise for real, only in pictures. This thing is indeed big, I guess it weighs 175 lbs. many of you would not believe the listed price if I told you so look it up for yourself if you wish to know.

I now have four vises in the 150-200 lb. range wich include this Wilton and Ridgid plus a Vanderman and a Parker. While others have to look for large size vises all but my Parker found me.

threepiece 05-11-2019 07:24 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Another picture.

cutter 05-11-2019 07:51 PM

You do know that if you clean the grease off the bottom of the key on the Wilton, you should find the date of manufacture stamped into it?

threepiece 05-13-2019 07:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cutter (Post 735978)
You do know that if you clean the grease off the bottom of the key on the Wilton, you should find the date of manufacture stamped into it?

QUOTE]

I did not know.

There were two numbers stamped on the key, each in a different size stamp. It looks as this vise was made in September of 1984.

I really dig the easily replaceable jaws of this Wilton. It is easy to create custom jaws and attach them to this vise. I plan to make a set of forming dies to fit. The dies will be made from square bar and about 12" long much like a normal set of jaws but longer. One of the dies however will have the four corners rounded of with different radii such as 1/16"- 1/4" with this die installed I can hammer form bends in sheet metal with a desired radius.

Perhaps I did need this vise.