Shop Floor Talk

Shop Floor Talk (https://www.shopfloortalk.com/forums/index.php)
-   Machining (https://www.shopfloortalk.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=21)
-   -   Picked up some reamers, end mills, Delrin (https://www.shopfloortalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=50399)

MetalWolf 01-09-2019 01:10 PM

Picked up some reamers, end mills, Delrin

2 Attachment(s)
While out doing my weekly running I stopped by a guys place an bought a handful of odd and end stuff.

Picked up some American made reamers 3/8 to 9/16 all good an sharp
Also picked up some end mill cutters various ones an sizes all American made cutters see pics....

Also picked up a partial stick of some 2"x 2" x 5ft. Delrin so I can make some new bushings for my wife's wheel chair... Chose the Delrin over Nylon, Was told Delrin is a better choice to use.

Don't think I did to awful bad on price as the Delrin would of cost me far more I would imagine... spent a total of 45 bucks for all of it...

Could of spent less if I would of just bought the two endmill cutter's I originally went by for but its like going to HF can't go in with out coming out with other things you didn't go there for....
Attachment 148750Attachment 148751

LKeithR 01-09-2019 02:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MetalWolf (Post 727938)
...Chose the Delrin over Nylon, Was told Delrin is a better choice to use...

Yeah, I prefer machining acetal to nylon. Pure natural nylon and UHMW are both machinable but the "chips" come off in long continuous strings that can create a heck of mess. With acetal you can generally break a chip which makes cleanup a whole lot easier.

Plastics in general are pretty complicated; there are a wide variety of basic "families" and within each of those there can be many different compositions. Delrin is actually Dupont's name for its family of acetal products but it's one of those terms that has become almost generic in nature.

Most manufacturers make a lubricant filled material, sometimes referred to as Nylon MD. Because one of the first manufacturers of this material was called "Nylatron" that term has crept into general usage as a term for all lube filled materials but Nylatron uses the name in conjunction with a wide variety of plastics it produces...

greywynd 01-09-2019 03:45 PM

Not sure what the radius size is of that rad cutter, that cutter alone is worth your $45. Looking at the size, it will likely make your mill/drill cringe though except on very light cuts.

Sent from my iPhone using ShopFloorTalk mobile app

MetalWolf 01-09-2019 04:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by greywynd (Post 727951)
Not sure what the radius size is of that rad cutter, that cutter alone is worth your $45. Looking at the size, it will likely make your mill/drill cringe though except on very light cuts.

Sent from my iPhone using ShopFloorTalk mobile app

I just picked it up for light cuts on aluminum it about 3/4"... ill have in the future maybe more use for it when I get my bigger mills here.... Or at least I think ill have possibly more use for it...

I didn't think I did to bad as I'm told the one plunge drill for hardened steel/tool steel is pretty high priced new... supposed to be able to cut taps and drill bits but not carbide
I guess the worst I can do to it is screw it up....

MetalWolf 01-09-2019 05:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LKeithR (Post 727950)
Yeah, I prefer machining acetal to nylon. Pure natural nylon and UHMW are both machinable but the "chips" come off in long continuous strings that can create a heck of mess. With acetal you can generally break a chip which makes cleanup a whole lot easier.

Plastics in general are pretty complicated; there are a wide variety of basic "families" and within each of those there can be many different compositions. Delrin is actually Dupont's name for its family of acetal products but it's one of those terms that has become almost generic in nature.

Most manufacturers make a lubricant filled material, sometimes referred to as Nylon MD. Because one of the first manufacturers of this material was called "Nylatron" that term has crept into general usage as a term for all lube filled materials but Nylatron uses the name in conjunction with a wide variety of plastics it produces...

will this be the better material to make the bushings for the wheel chair over just nylon :confused:

milomilo 01-10-2019 10:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MetalWolf (Post 727966)
will this be the better material to make the bushings for the wheel chair over just nylon :confused:

Yes it will. It has real good lubricity too. Lots of folks have used it to make half nuts for their lathes.

MetalWolf 01-10-2019 02:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by milomilo (Post 728029)
Yes it will. It has real good lubricity too. Lots of folks have used it to make half nuts for their lathes.

Thanks' Chris

Ironman 01-10-2019 08:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MetalWolf (Post 727966)

It's the better choice unless she weighs over 4500 lb because under heavy pressure nylon distorts less, but I always think nylon needs lube.
Great score on the delrin and reamers. As far as I'm concerned You Suck.

MetalWolf 01-10-2019 10:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ironman (Post 728068)
It's the better choice unless she weighs over 4500 lb because under heavy pressure nylon distorts less, but I always think nylon needs lube.
Great score on the delrin and reamers. As far as I'm concerned You Suck.

I have both white and grayish blackish Delrin one is better to use than the other if so which one would be best... the pieces needing replacing are the bushings that allow it to fold and keeps seat in alignment when it folds

although she thinks she weighs 4500 pounds in her mind and she really believes she is fat she truly only weighs buck forty five.

LKeithR 01-10-2019 10:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MetalWolf (Post 728082)
...I have both white and grayish blackish Delrin one is better to use than the other if so which one would be best... the pieces needing replacing are the bushings that allow it to fold and keeps seat in alignment when it folds...

For that application any plastic will do. Delrin, UHMW, nylon; you name it; there isn't enough load that you'd be able to tell the difference...