Shop Floor Talk

Shop Floor Talk (https://www.shopfloortalk.com/forums/index.php)
-   Fabrication (https://www.shopfloortalk.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   on vehical bushing press using port a power (https://www.shopfloortalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=50353)

MetalWolf 12-29-2018 11:15 PM

on vehicle bushing press using port a power

4 Attachment(s)
I made this bushing press to press in and out bushings on leaf and other suspension parts made some half ass bushing cup to fit an appropriate size
had the "C" "i.e."Cee cut on a CNC out of 1/2" plate and welded them together works for doing leaf spring bushings

Thought id post this incase anyone wanted to copy it might be an old post somewhere but I could not find it thinking of making a larger one about 3 ft tall "C" press for the shop...
Attachment 148643Attachment 148644Attachment 148645Attachment 148646

Scrapper Greg 12-29-2018 11:28 PM

If it works, it works. Like the thought process and the work on that cee.

cutter 12-30-2018 12:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Scrapper Greg (Post 727363)
and the work on that cee.

That is pretty impressive, isn't it. :)

MetalWolf 12-30-2018 02:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Scrapper Greg (Post 727363)
If it works, it works. Like the thought process and the work on that cee.

Greg....
It is just a quick rough throw together but plans are to cut it apart as it is quite heavy and can be lightened up by using one 1/2" or make one out of 3/4" plate I since bought a separate pump and piston that will be dedicated to this plus it will have the ability to use the push pull advantage a well...

I have allot of unfinished project tool stuff I never seem to have time for
most are mods to existing tools to make then more usable for my needs
but might be useful for someone else as most are made from scrap or the obsolete tool in to something else tool..

Just started to build a electrolysis tank out of a plastic 55 gallon drum and have an old 2 amp 12v battery charger for doing large items was thinking I might use the old 24v charger being tank is so big might work better
been looking at YT videos on this and people are using all types of power supplies an one guy mentioned a 24 volt charger but video was not definitive on which he used...

One day I will get to finish some of my hair brained project ideas

cutter 12-30-2018 04:36 AM

3 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by MetalWolf (Post 727378)

Just started to build a electrolysis tank out of a plastic 55 gallon drum and have an old 2 amp 12v battery charger for doing large items was thinking I might use the old 24v charger being tank is so big might work better
been looking at YT videos on this and people are using all types of power supplies an one guy mentioned a 24 volt charger but video was not definitive on which he used...

Either voltage will work just fine on that size tank but 2 amps is a bit low. 8-12 amps @ 12 volts will work. 24 volts might speed it up but it might also heat it up. Remember that you'll be generating hydrogen gas so you might want to set it up outdoors.

Old lawnmower blades work very well for the sacrificial pieces. Just be sure to get your polarity correct - "positive attracts" the rust from your project piece. This is the key to remembering how to hook up your charger in order to not "sacrifice" your project part. :)

It is not a perfect solution but it is inexpensive and very helpful. Patience is required.

1. Before.
2. A few hours in (another reason to do it outdoors - expect a mess :) )
3. 24-48 hours later, I forget exactly. I think I had also lightly wire brushed it, manually.

digr 12-30-2018 08:13 AM

There ya go using your head again!!

terry lingle 12-30-2018 12:29 PM

that worked well on the wrench but it looks like the vice needs more time:D

moe1942 12-30-2018 01:09 PM

Anyone with a wood splitter has a great hydraulic press.

terry lingle 12-30-2018 02:44 PM

well they usually have less than 20 tons available and poor clearance on one side.
Presses start working reliably at about 50 tons meaning that they will probably move things first go round. and 100 ton ers seem much better.

MetalWolf 12-30-2018 08:27 PM

Eh Yawl lost me in the echo somewhere..
I am so.....:confused: