Shop Floor Talk

Shop Floor Talk (https://www.shopfloortalk.com/forums/index.php)
-   Welding (https://www.shopfloortalk.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Picked Up A Nice Gouge Tonight... (https://www.shopfloortalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=36611)

LKeithR 01-07-2013 02:55 AM

Picked Up A Nice Gouge Tonight...

1 Attachment(s)
We don't do a lot of heavy welding and repair work these days but once in a while a job comes along that we can't really say no to. We've been without a decent gouge for a while now so when this rig popped up on Craigslist a couple days ago I decided to try and snag it. It's a 400 amp unit which is more than we need but heavier is always better, right?

Took a couple days to make contact with the seller but we connected earlier this evening and I just got home from picking it up. He had it listed for 90 bucks and I got it for 80 so I'm happy. It hasn't seen much use and is in really good shape.

This is actually pretty good timing since we've got a job sitting in the wings that involves replacing the ears on several backhoe buckets--it'll get to pay for itself pretty quick...

FabberMcGee 01-07-2013 05:24 AM

Those are a great tool, noisy, stinky and sparky, but really fast and clean. One of the best things about it is that it doesn't care what the metal is or how many layers. It will wash away hard facing just the same as mild steel or brass or whatever you want.

With just a little practice, some finesse and a small rod a guy can cut out internal bushings without nicking the housing or even getting much heat on it.

Good buy.

digger doug 01-07-2013 08:01 AM

WHAT DID YOU SAY !

Yup, it's a great tool if you wear earplugs.

The only time I don't like it, is in a corner......kinda don't like
the stuff flying back.

Windy_Acres 01-07-2013 09:30 AM

Exactly what is it ? I see welding cable-plug-clamp, and and a gas hose ? Is this some welding hybrid tool ? What is its purpose ? I need some edumaction here, this is new to me.

digger doug 01-07-2013 10:00 AM

Bare carbon, compressed air comes out on lower jaw, parallel
to rod.

Lots-o-current, strike arc with air already on, blows puddle away*

*away= about 20 feet.

Very loud, works very well, cuts anything, able to peel
off a weld very nicely.

milomilo 01-07-2013 10:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Windy_Acres (Post 525792)
Exactly what is it ? I see welding cable-plug-clamp, and and a gas hose ? Is this some welding hybrid tool ? What is its purpose ? I need some edumaction here, this is new to me.

You can watch it here.

terry lingle 01-07-2013 12:18 PM

Air arc good stuff if you need it.
It can be pretty dangerous if you get careless:eek:
Had an apprentice take out his girl friends eardrum in a hold my beer and watch this moment. I think she turned her fce away to protect her eyes.

Saw a wooden shed full of fuel and propane tanks lit off by one a couple of years ago.
proper safety equipment and precautions are important when using that tool.

moe1942 01-07-2013 01:26 PM

I have done it with an arc welder..don't have compressed air blowing shit around.

digger doug 01-07-2013 01:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by moe1942 (Post 525849)
I have done it with an arc welder..don't have compressed air blowing shit around.

This I gotta see.......

moe1942 01-07-2013 01:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by digger doug (Post 525850)
This I gotta see.......

You didn't know it could be done? How do you think it was done fifty years ago.. O/A or arc. Used a special rod..Can't remember what composition..