Shop Floor Talk

Shop Floor Talk (https://www.shopfloortalk.com/forums/index.php)
-   Fabrication (https://www.shopfloortalk.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   Burning pellets in a wood stove (https://www.shopfloortalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=33110)

nonhog 03-26-2012 04:23 PM

Burning pellets in a wood stove

4 Attachment(s)
I just made a basket that is pretty ugly but with any luck will last long enough to give service.
I stumbled across the idea and see you can purchase a basket for about $150.00 (the smart way! :D)

I spent many of my weekend hours cutting/grinding/welding (which is fun)
Spend about $45.00 on materials. It works! Some fine tuning left to do.
I'm out of cord wood so this fills the need till next season.

ran out of MIG wire 1/3 of the way through. was hoping (still am) my welds hold up and the thing doesn't "pop" and fall apart. LOL

Tell me what you think.

nonhog 03-26-2012 04:29 PM

4 Attachment(s)
Normal pictures.

DrBob 03-26-2012 05:20 PM

Pretty not Ugly

Looks really good to me, Nonhog! I am constantly amazed by the terrible quality of a lot of commercial items that are MIGged or TIGged together. Most of the welding on this site - including yours - is better than that.

DrBob

Ironman 03-26-2012 07:30 PM

Yes, it does look good. This is an expendable piece that you are stress relieving with heat daily. If it doesn't get cherry red it will last just fine.

allessence 03-28-2012 06:12 PM

Yup, looks good.

Does it actually work?

Reason I'm asking is we have a commercially made unit and I have plans to make a bigger unit sometime in the future with some modifications to make it more efficient.

nonhog 03-28-2012 09:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by allessence (Post 476632)
Yup, looks good.

Does it actually work?

Reason I'm asking is we have a commercially made unit and I have plans to make a bigger unit sometime in the future with some modifications to make it more efficient.

Yes and not bad either. We are still in the fine tuning stages. My wife took off in the car that has the pellets. No fire tonight.
It went through a bag pretty fast but I think some effort in adj. the damper
will make it o.k.
40 lbs in 2 evenings of heat. Not so good but its early in the game.
I don't think or ever expected it to be as good as a regular pellet stove but
I think it will be nice on those cold spring mornings and evenings to help with propane cost as we are out of cord wood this season.

And clean and neat, no spiders :D

SmokinDodge 03-28-2012 09:36 PM

How much is firewood in your area?

We went through 5 cord this year with a very mild winter. Of course a hard winter takes about 5 cord sooooo.....

Sent from my iPhone using SFT

nonhog 03-28-2012 09:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SmokinDodge (Post 476686)
How much is firewood in your area?

We went through 5 cord this year with a very mild winter. Of course a hard winter takes about 5 cord sooooo.....

Its between 2-3 hun a cord IIRC. Rarely do I buy firewood. Have downed trees in my yard and I watch CL for free stuff.
I made it through winter but its the Seattle area so it'll be cool/cold for a couple more months.
I have wood for next season.

SmokinDodge 03-28-2012 09:51 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by nonhog

Its between 2-3 hun a cord IIRC. Rarely do I buy firewood. Have downed trees in my yard and I watch CL for free stuff.
I made it through winter but its the Seattle area so it'll be cool/cold for a couple more months.
I have wood for next season.

GAH!

I was selling loads like this for $225 delivered and bucked to length. And some though I was high.

I guess it's just like real estate, location, location, location.

duckman903 03-29-2012 09:57 AM

I buy a grapple load of wood 8' X 8' X 20' long for $1,000.00 that works out to be about 10 cord in a load.