Shop Floor Talk

Shop Floor Talk (https://www.shopfloortalk.com/forums/index.php)
-   Shop & Safety (https://www.shopfloortalk.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=22)
-   -   Old Welder (https://www.shopfloortalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=50563)

Shopmonkey 02-18-2019 09:05 PM

Old Welder

Going to be clearing my dad's tools out as he passed last September. Someone, here, will know about the Forney machines from around 1950. AC only and has been reliable. Iha ea few spare parts as well.

I'm going to offer it to a friend for $50. Too high? Too low? What's your opinion on these old girls?

mccutter 02-18-2019 10:55 PM

I think $50 for a working arc welder is fair. Unless it is unsafe to use... Pull the cover and look at the windings and such. The leads could be worth more than $50 in scrap, depending on how long they are. And all those copper coils. I've seen scrappers pay far more than an old welder is worth (to me) at auction mainly because they knew the ol' boy was full of copper. PS: I mean "ol' girl"... :D

milomilo 02-18-2019 10:59 PM

It is worth a little more than $50 around here, but if it is a friend, so be it.

digr 02-18-2019 11:04 PM

If its a friend I would give it to him, someday you will get a payback, thats how things work around here, 50 bucks won't hardly get out of Mcdonalds these days.

LKeithR 02-18-2019 11:21 PM

I never had anything to do with a Forney that old but I did use some that were from the sixties. They were heavy, solid machines. Nothing fancy but you couldn't kill them either. As has been said, if it's safe it's definitely worth fifty bucks. And yeah, there's almost certainly more than 50 dollars worth of copper in the thing...

bunkclimber 02-19-2019 08:52 AM

I see lots of old Forney welders at auction sales,most are so beat up and worn its just trash..
yours could hold some sentimental value as it was your Dad's..
FWIW I'd keep it in the back room if it still works,might be kinda neat to lay down some beads with it one day..probably worth no more than $50.

Matt Shade 02-19-2019 12:13 PM

The county fairgrounds here has one in the maintenance shop and I don't know the vintage, but its like an old phone switchboard. You have to plug the leads into different holes for different amperages and there is a high and low range for the ground as well. Not all the sockets seem to work anymore but if you can get it to light up it welds amazingly smooth. I used to burn a lot of rod on it. If everything was in working order, I wouldn't turn my nose up at one.

If it goes to a friend, 50 bucks is probably fine, but otherwise I'd try get scrap value or better out of it. Those old welders are heavy and I'd guess they have a lot of copper inside.

Shopmonkey 02-19-2019 07:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bunkclimber (Post 731022)
I see lots of old Forney welders at auction sales,most are so beat up and worn its just trash..
yours could hold some sentimental value as it was your Dad's..
FWIW I'd keep it in the back room if it still works,might be kinda neat to lay down some beads with it one day..probably worth no more than $50.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Matt Shade (Post 731041)
The county fairgrounds here has one in the maintenance shop and I don't know the vintage, but its like an old phone switchboard. You have to plug the leads into different holes for different amperages and there is a high and low range for the ground as well. Not all the sockets seem to work anymore but if you can get it to light up it welds amazingly smooth. I used to burn a lot of rod on it. If everything was in working order, I wouldn't turn my nose up at one.

If it goes to a friend, 50 bucks is probably fine, but otherwise I'd try get scrap value or better out of it. Those old welders are heavy and I'd guess they have a lot of copper inside.

Better yet, my grandpa bought it and it remained on the farm til we left in '77 when it followed us to town. The guy I am hoping to sell to is a good friend who understands sentiment as he lost his dad about two years ago.

Thanks, guys for all your opinions.

kenord 02-20-2019 01:23 AM

My Dad bought a Forney 180 amp on April 29th 1948 , just happened to be the day I was born. Learned to weld with that machine,
we did some trading at one point about 20 years ago and I ended up with it. I still use it on occasion, I don't think Ill ever sell it. will give it to my son ,if he wants it.

walt 02-20-2019 09:19 AM

Also, around here we would just give it to a friend. Sometime even the wife! John