Shop Floor Talk

Shop Floor Talk (https://www.shopfloortalk.com/forums/index.php)
-   Shop & Safety (https://www.shopfloortalk.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=22)
-   -   One step closer to having a new shop in Florida (https://www.shopfloortalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=50282)

rmack898 12-12-2018 09:22 PM

One step closer to having a new shop in Florida

3 Attachment(s)
I have a plan, I have a place, I have no idea how long it's going to take or how much it's going to cost.

The plan is a 40x60x14 red steel structure. 40x40 will be enclosed and the extra 20x40 an open area under roof.

The place is a 10 acre plantation of loblolly and long needle pine trees in NE Florida that will also be my homestead. We call it Honu Grove.

The first step was to locate the shop and house build sites on the property. It tool Laura and I several weeks to decide on locations for the buildings but we did it and marked all the corners. Most timber buyers that I called did not want to take on a job this small but I finally found someone that would clear the timber off our build sites and thin the rest of the plantation.

Before the logger can get in to do his work I needed to put in a culvert and driveway. I needed a permit from the state DOT and they dictated the specifications on my driveway. I found a contractor to put in my culvert and driveway. They started on Tuesday and pretty much finished today. I'll give the concrete a week before I drive on it and wait till after the first of the year before the logger uses it.

My daughter Islay has named this driveway into the backside of our property
"Redneck Road"

alchemist 12-13-2018 07:30 AM

Looking good. I can't wait to see the rest of the place.

RED caddy 12-13-2018 08:43 AM

Wow, that's a great big first step, well done.

All I can add is when I laid out my block on slab shop, I thought 40 X 60 X 13 was all the room I'd ever need or want. I was wrong. By the time I had carved out a 13' X 14' insulated, under air, machinery room. (your climate up there is a bit dryer than mine here, but rust/moisture is still a daily problem) Added a mezzanine on a side and one end, emptied out 4 rented storage units, I was outta room.

With stuff and junk coming and going daily, it's a constant battle to keep a build / fix bay open and available. If I had the room available, I would add a 20 X 60 shed roof over a slab, with a 50 foot work bench, just to have a work bay and out of the sun parking for my RV and TV.

If wishes were horses....

RED

Norm W 12-13-2018 11:07 AM

No matter how big you build it, it will be too small.

milomilo 12-13-2018 01:48 PM

You sure do not mess around. Sounds like a great plan. Congrats!!!

rmack898 12-13-2018 08:06 PM

So the shop I'm vacating in THAT northern state is 40x40x12 and all of MY stuff fits in that size shop. I have been storing Trevor's stuff and projects in my size shop for a whole butt load of years.

I think that if I have the same size shop all to myself, without having to share the space with anyone else, I will be better off than I was before I vacated that northern place.

Lu47Dan 12-14-2018 04:38 PM

Once the house and shop are up, can you keep the container?
A couple of them beside or behind the shop would allow you to have "dry" storage if you would need it. You could also keep your lawn equipment in it. That would free up some space in the main shop building. An acquaintance bought two, one (high cube) is set up with a roll up door for his lawn and garden equipment. This one was missing one of the doors. The other, a standard container, is set up with lock hoods and heavy duty locks. This one contains his extra contractors equipment. Just a thought.
Dan.

EliseLCR 12-29-2018 06:26 PM

Yay [emoji4] how exciting. Congratulations!! It’s gonna be great!

rmack898 01-15-2019 08:15 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Lu47Dan (Post 726455)
You could also keep your lawn equipment in it.
Dan.

Dan, this is going to be my "Forever" house and I'm building it maintenance free. It will have no lawns so I will have no need for lawn equipment.:devil:

Things are happening. The logger started mobilizing today and only has to bring in his limb gate tomorrow. He thinks we will start cutting and loading after lunch tomorrow..:):)

I kept the opening to red neck road from the highway very narrow but one you get through the first line of trees I opened it up enough for the logger to have his landing there instead of disturbing other parts of the property.

I should have a good update tomorrow.

milomilo 01-15-2019 08:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rmack898 (Post 728454)
Dan, this is going to be my "Forever" house and I'm building it maintenance free. It will have no lawns so I will have no need for lawn equipment.:devil:

Things are happening. The logger started mobilizing today and only has to bring in his limb gate tomorrow. He thinks we will start cutting and loading after lunch tomorrow..:):)

I kept the opening to red neck road from the highway very narrow but one you get through the first line of trees I opened it up enough for the logger to have his landing there instead of disturbing other parts of the property.

I should have a good update tomorrow.

Is the logger doing stump pulling too?