Shop Floor Talk

Shop Floor Talk (https://www.shopfloortalk.com/forums/index.php)
-   Machining (https://www.shopfloortalk.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=21)
-   -   Hallelujah (https://www.shopfloortalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=50232)

milomilo 11-28-2018 06:50 PM

Hallelujah

4 Attachment(s)
Finally got me a mill. It is a Grizzly G1006. Has a 2hp motor. Goes for 50-2100 RPM. Came with set (12) of R8 collets, about 15 end mills, hold down set and a 6" vise and a decent home made steel table. Cost me $500 for the package. It was all a filthy mess. Looks like the owner never cleaned it while he owned it. Don't think he used it all that much as 5 of the collets were still in the original wrappers.

Has a few small divots in the table but nothing large. Vise was in the same shape. Had a lot of surface rust which came off easily with emery and a random orbit sander. Found out after cleaning it it is a Browne & Sharp vise. Nice surprise. The table gib adjustment screw is missing so now to search and see if I can find one. One table lock down screw is missing.

Bubba went with me to Cheyenne to help get it loaded. Estimating is weighs around 5-6 hundred lbs. We plugged it in with the belts off and the motor runs smooth as glass. One belt needs replaced. The top end is at Bubba's place till it gets all cleaned up.

Pics are before cleaning, except for the table. More pics tomorrow after cleaning and some assembly. It is all manual drive, no DRO (yet).

milomilo 11-28-2018 06:53 PM

5 Attachment(s)
More pics.

Whitetrash 11-28-2018 07:34 PM

Very Cool :cool:

digger doug 11-28-2018 07:44 PM

You could.....powerwash it.

Gasp !

No soap, no steam, get right in there with the nozzle 2" away and let it rip.

As soon as you get it clean, air nozzle it dry, and apply some WD-40
or other light rust prevent.

digr 11-28-2018 07:59 PM

Nice! its a slippery slope:devil:

Lu47Dan 11-28-2018 08:16 PM

Yep , nice score, Chris. But.........
Once you get sometime on it, you will be wanting, a DRO, drives for the table, a rotary table, and the beat goes on...:D :devil:.
Congratulations.
Dan.

milomilo 11-28-2018 08:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by digr (Post 725522)
Nice! its a slippery slope:devil:

Yes, discretion may be hard to control.:)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lu47Dan (Post 725523)
Yep , nice score, Chris. But.........
Once you get sometime on it, you will be wanting, a DRO, drives for the table, a rotary table, and the beat goes on...:D :devil:.
Congratulations.
Dan.

I can see the future, and it is not cheap.:(

platypus20 11-28-2018 08:42 PM

Damn !!

MetalWolf 11-28-2018 08:45 PM

Chris..... what are your collet sizes is it a set or in between sizes...
oh an if this deserves a "You Suck!" here it is...:D

milomilo 11-28-2018 09:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MetalWolf (Post 725526)
Chris..... what are your collet sizes is it a set or in between sizes...
oh an if this deserves a "You Suck!" here it is...:D

I have not laid them out to check yet. I did see a 7/8", 3/8" and 1/2" while loading them up. I expect they are by sixteenths. I will check tomorrow. I did pul up a manual and was surprised to see that the fasteners are all SAE instead of metric.:) The missing gib screw is 5/16-18 thread. Should be easy to find one now. Going to pull the belts tomorrow to get some numbers.