Shop Floor Talk

Shop Floor Talk (https://www.shopfloortalk.com/forums/index.php)
-   Fabrication (https://www.shopfloortalk.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   Center Punches (https://www.shopfloortalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=50210)

milomilo 11-20-2018 07:37 PM

Center Punches

2 Attachment(s)
I made a couple center punches about 30 years ago using engine valves. They served me well since that time. Last week I had to drill a hole and looked for a center punch for 15 minutes. Finally gave up and used an auction center punch I had in the drawer and I expect it was an import as the point flatten out on the first hit.:(

Stopped in at my mechanics shop in town and asked if he had any old engine valves he could part with. Left with 9 of them. Several large Cat valves and a few smaller ones. Cut off the heads in the cutoff saw and used a cordless drill to spin them on the grinder to a 30 degree point.

Turned out well. Tested them and found they made a good punch mark and still sticky sharp. Dropped of a large and a small to Bubba next door.

Stocked the rest and maybe I can go another 30 years before I need to make some more.:rolleyes:

randydupree 11-20-2018 08:02 PM

Chris is always busy!

GWIZ 11-20-2018 09:13 PM

How well will they do as pin punches ?

milomilo 11-20-2018 10:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GWIZ (Post 725094)
How well will they do as pin punches ?

Probably good, but I have no way to turn/grind them down to different diameters. Not sure what grade or alloy they are, but surely hard as hell. Suppose I could make a few for whatever size I get them in.

toprecycler 11-20-2018 10:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by milomilo (Post 725098)
Probably good, but I have no way to turn/grind them down to different diameters. Not sure what grade or alloy they are, but surely hard as hell. Suppose I could make a few for whatever size I get them in.

You have a lathe. Fab up a holder to hold your hand grinder in your tool holder.

Sent from my iPhone using ShopFloorTalk mobile app

milomilo 11-20-2018 11:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by toprecycler (Post 725099)
You have a lathe. Fab up a holder to hold your hand grinder in your tool holder.

Sent from my iPhone using ShopFloorTalk mobile app

I should have been more clear. Yes, that can be done, but I do not wish to have grinding grit all over the lathe. I know it can be covered somewhat, but I would prefer not to do grinding on my lathe. I have many pin punches already. so I do not really need any more anyway.

alchemist 11-21-2018 07:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by milomilo (Post 725103)
I should have been more clear. Yes, that can be done, but I do not wish to have grinding grit all over the lathe. I know it can be covered somewhat, but I would prefer not to do grinding on my lathe. I have many pin punches already. so I do not really need any more anyway.

I'm with you on that. I don't do any grinding or wood on my lathe.

Ironman 11-21-2018 08:11 AM

I had to chuckle, Chris. When I was a kid, still at home, (Wasn't 16 yet) I made a center punch from a valve. They work well.

digr 11-21-2018 08:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ironman (Post 725109)
I had to chuckle, Chris. When I was a kid, still at home, (Wasn't 16 yet) I made a center punch from a valve. They work well.

I am sure that they would, I think I should leave the valve
head on, the way I swing at things now:eek:

digger doug 11-21-2018 08:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by digr (Post 725110)
I am sure that they would, I think I should leave the valve
head on, the way I swing at things now:eek:

I had to laugh at this.

Years ago, I had a friend that owned a weld shop, just him & his son.

When he would drill something on the big 'ole drillpress, he would
get out a prick punch made from IIRC 3/4" hex rod.

Wail away with a 5lb several times to make the marks big.....really big.

I said "Why did you stop ? A few more whacks, and you wouldn't
need the drill press".....:D