Shop Floor Talk

Shop Floor Talk (https://www.shopfloortalk.com/forums/index.php)
-   Mechanical & Electrical (https://www.shopfloortalk.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=36)
-   -   Water Heater Shit The Bed (https://www.shopfloortalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=51166)

milomilo 08-18-2019 09:41 PM

Water Heater Shit The Bed

Went down to the basement for some canning jars after lunch today and found the basement floor a bit moist. After checking the well pressure tank, washer and water heater, determined the water heater is the culprit. Be headed out in the morning for a 50 gallon electric water heater at Menards at $415.89.

Not quite what I had planned for tomorrow, but to keep her in a good mood, my elk hunting is postponed for a day. Menards 11% off ended yesterday.:(

Ironman 08-18-2019 10:08 PM

Hope you have some help to get that dead tank out of there. Depending on what is in the water some of those dead tanks weigh hundreds of pounds. Limestone is the worst.

astronut 08-19-2019 07:26 AM

Sorry to hear that Chris. Did the tank rust through, rupture, or is leaking from some where else on it.

digger doug 08-19-2019 08:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ironman (Post 740466)
Hope you have some help to get that dead tank out of there. Depending on what is in the water some of those dead tanks weigh hundreds of pounds. Limestone is the worst.

Last one I did, sawzalled it in half (long ways).
Like gutting a deer.....Ugh
Bottom 1/3 was filled with muck.

Samcord 08-19-2019 09:24 AM

Menards has “prior sales rebate adjustment slips” that you can get from the front office. If they have the 11% rebate in the next two weeks, you can still get the discount. You have to pick it up in person.

digr 08-19-2019 10:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by digger doug (Post 740482)
Last one I did, sawzalled it in half (long ways).
Like gutting a deer.....Ugh
Bottom 1/3 was filled with muck.

I always forget but they say to open the drain once a month to prevent the muck from building up

astronut 08-19-2019 11:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by digr (Post 740488)
I always forget but they say to open the drain once a month to prevent the muck from building up

I forget to do that also. I need to remember to do that soon.

arizonian 08-19-2019 06:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by digr (Post 740488)

Once a month sounds extreme. I flush mine about every two to three years, then date it with a sharpie.

You know you're getting old when the sharpie is one of the first things you look for when doing chores like that.

milomilo 08-19-2019 08:41 PM

Got to Menards this morning in Cheyenne and the heater I selected on the web, turns out to be a special order model. Ofcourse the web did not say that.:mad: Found a similar one on sale so saved $40. All installed and we have hot water now. She is happy.:) I am pooped from hauling the old one out of the basement and taking the new one one down to the basement.

Got a couple of new brass compression fittings and cut off 10" of copper pipe to compensate for the extra height of the new heater, Reused the old braided stainless flex hoses, but did replace the rubber washers. Had a couple drips that required a little tightening up. I will check again tomorrow morning to see if all is water tight.

milomilo 08-19-2019 08:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ironman (Post 740466)

My son and I used a two wheel cart and it came out fairly easily with both of us grunting along. Same for the new one.