Shop Floor Talk

Shop Floor Talk (https://www.shopfloortalk.com/forums/index.php)
-   Mechanical & Electrical (https://www.shopfloortalk.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=36)
-   -   Ingersoll Rand 231 half inch impact (https://www.shopfloortalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=50899)

gimpyrobb 05-19-2019 04:18 PM

Ingersoll Rand 231 half inch impact

So I got this impact gun through some trading. It works well and has good power for its size, but the C clilp on the snout is toast and doesn't hold the sockets on anymore. The nose is in rough shape in general actually. Not sure if a C clip swap is possible. Has anyone ever done this type of maintenance? If I have to swap in a new snout, I can accept that, but I'd like to try to swap it out first.

Anyone have any guidance?

MetalWolf 05-19-2019 05:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gimpyrobb (Post 736350)
So I got this impact gun through some trading. It works well and has good power for its size, but the C clilp on the snout is toast and doesn't hold the sockets on anymore. The nose is in rough shape in general actually. Not sure if a C clip swap is possible. Has anyone ever done this type of maintenance? If I have to swap in a new snout, I can accept that, but I'd like to try to swap it out first.

Anyone have any guidance?

Got a couple of pic of the snout to see what you mean by a rough shape like in missing the nose that holds the ring clip ??

Scotts 05-19-2019 05:31 PM

Yep,

go to the IR website and look at the kit to repair all this. The c clip and backer ring may be available from Mcmaster in individual pieces.

I am awaiting a gun with a pin style retainer and then I will see about rebuilding the front end of the clip style retainer.

Scott

Camaro Zach 05-19-2019 06:57 PM

Just Clips brand pn: JC500 are what I have had good luck with. Made in USA to boot.

gimpyrobb 05-20-2019 03:18 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Looking at it, its toast. I will probably just use it as is. A new anvil is only about $40 but I am cheap. I may just make an adapter for it.

Scotts 05-20-2019 03:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Camaro Zach (Post 736357)
Just Clips brand pn: JC500 are what I have had good luck with. Made in USA to boot.

Thanks Zach,

I found them on amazon and ordered.

Scott

MetalWolf 05-20-2019 05:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gimpyrobb (Post 736374)
Looking at it, its toast. I will probably just use it as is. A new anvil is only about $40 but I am cheap. I may just make an adapter for it.

well, Rob. If you're that cheap ;);)...I would drill and pin style the thing and be done with it... Or at least till that wears out or the impact goes south totally...
Just poking pun on the being cheap Rob hell I'm the same way with things like that... no need to make a chap working tool cost more than it has to right...
That's my floskaloscopeeee:D

The other thing you could do is pull the hammer out set it up in the mill cut it down to a 3/8 drive cut in a new nose for the ring clip-3/8 clip and you would have one hell of a torquey 3/8 impact

DangIt... I just gave my self a heck of an Ideer... I have a nice slimline compact Impact "no-name brand" but it ain't worth a hoot's toot as a 1/2" drive impact, I think ill do just that as it will make a good 3/8 drive for sure... save me from having to always be searching for my 1/2-3/8 adapter for it...

terry lingle 05-20-2019 09:03 PM

let us know how the milling cutter liked that steel:D
Cutting it down is a good idea but I would use a grinder to trim the anvil.
I see a few of them at yard sales often way over priced but sometimes priced right for a parts gun . I have never seen a lot of wear on the hammers usually it is the air motor that is toast from no oil abuse running on wet air from a service truck mounted compressor.

MetalWolf 05-20-2019 11:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by terry lingle (Post 736387)
let us know how the milling cutter liked that steel:D
Cutting it down is a good idea but I would use a grinder to trim the anvil.
I see a few of them at yard sales often way over priced but sometimes priced right for a parts gun . I have never seen a lot of wear on the hammers usually it is the air motor that is toast from no oil abuse running on wet air from a service truck mounted compressor.

Terry, You're prolly right about the mill a cutter... "I was having a brain fart moment". :D But I can do it with my surface grinder no problem... But I still think it will be a good idea for this slimline impact to turn it into a 3/8 drive...
If, I screw it up. well, no big deal... It was less than a hundred twenty bucks not that I'd buy another new one anyway.... because it is as useless as tits on a boar hog and piss ants for required half inch work.

So I'm glad you brought that up Because I would hate for another newbie like
me to tear up and ruin a good end mill for one of my "A typical brain farts ideas"...:eek:;);)

Dave Lee 05-21-2019 01:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gimpyrobb (Post 736374)

I used to work with a guy who was always bragging about how cheap he was. His wife said that he could squeeze the ink out of a dollar bill. I told him, "You may have written the book about being cheap but, I picked it up at a yard sale for 50 cents." :D:D

Dave