Shop Floor Talk

Shop Floor Talk (https://www.shopfloortalk.com/forums/index.php)
-   Fabrication (https://www.shopfloortalk.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   Lift-Rite a Go Go (https://www.shopfloortalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=48887)

Barn Owl 01-06-2018 01:22 PM

Lift-Rite a Go Go

5 Attachment(s)
Several Months ago I bought a small Lift Rite hand push/hydraulic lift small fork lift. It is a really cool and very functional in tight spaces but it is very hard to push under load.
Someone also donated a heavy duty electric wheelchair to the church where I work but it is difficult for us to keep them working because the number of times someone needs an electric wheel chair from the church is very limited and the batteries generally die to the point of not recharging being forgotten in a closet somewhere.
I have decided to combine the two and make a handy drivable mini fork.

The dual gear drive motors are the same type that the nerdy kids use on their battle bots and are very stout. But the axles are designed fora wheel chair not a fork lift. I turned new axles out of an old 1.125" hydraulic ram and they are now up to the task. I tried to use many of the suspension arms off of the chair and repurposed them to work on the lift. keeping in mind that the drive system is just for pushing not supporting any load.
Figuring that the chair weighed 200 pounds and had a had a weight limit of a 400 pound person. Generally there is a safety factor of at least 2 for things that move or lift humans so I am confident that these motors can move most of what I will need to lift with this fork.
The frame that I will be attaching the rolling gear to is mostly designed to surround the hydraulic pumps, so I need to re enforce the wheel attachment points.
It will make more sense from the photos.
Photo #1 the lift
Photo #2 the welded re enforcement on the frame
Photo #3 & 4 the old suspension off of the chair but with larger axle capacity
Photo #5 the Axel shafts being threaded

Barn Owl 01-06-2018 01:41 PM

The wheel chair works like a skid steer where to turn left the wheels spin in opposite directions, and the same for turning right. Since this new arrangement will be designed like a real fork lift where the turning will be accomplished by actually turning the wheel right and left rather than just reversing direction.

I have saved a 2:1 ratio small tractor lawnmower transmission that will now be repurposed as a steering box for the wheel motors. The spindles are being designed to sit directly over the pivot point of the wheels so that the wheels will turn 180*. The joystick for the wheel chair will be locked out to move only forward and backward with no left or right.

The wheels are going to be positioned behind the lift in a pushing type geometry. pictures to follow soon.

cutter 01-06-2018 02:23 PM

I am liking this. :)

LW Hiway 01-06-2018 04:47 PM

Would seem this drive system would be of use on other applications around a shop/farm arena.

Outside the box thinking and all.

gimpyrobb 01-07-2018 11:39 AM

Post as many details as you can, I have the "big Joe" version. I may have to copy your ideas. :D

Barn Owl 01-16-2018 11:37 PM

I have had my annual parade float distract me from this project so now I will be back at it soon.
I have more pics but just need to load them up.
Hiway I was thinking that same thing, I wish I had more motors to put on other things:o)

milomilo 01-17-2018 12:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Barn Owl (Post 703169)
I have had my annual parade float distract me from this project so now I will be back at it soon.
I have more pics but just need to load them up.
Hiway I was thinking that same thing, I wish I had more motors to put on other things:o)

Would it require a hard/smooth floor to operate it?

Barn Owl 01-17-2018 12:09 AM

I have the hard smooth floor for most of where this will live, but this unit I am building is going to have independent suspension so it can travel over thresholds and uneven concrete if need be.

Ironman 01-17-2018 08:42 AM

Hmmm. An electric Forksnatch. Cool, we could call it a Teslafork

Barn Owl 01-21-2018 06:18 PM

5 Attachment(s)
Ok back at it.
I have done about half of the welding and fab work but there is still quite a bit to go. Here are the motors just mocked up in the targeted location but still working on some geometry for the steering linkage and shock towers. The Heim Joint tie rod is not steering linkage in any way, merely just tying the to arms together for extra torsional support.
Pic are self explanatory.