Shop Floor Talk

Shop Floor Talk (https://www.shopfloortalk.com/forums/index.php)
-   Fabrication (https://www.shopfloortalk.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   Another (Yet Same) Happy Wife = Happy Life Fab (https://www.shopfloortalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=43417)

weldor2005 01-24-2015 09:40 AM

Another (Yet Same) Happy Wife = Happy Life Fab

3 Attachment(s)
In the beginning, there was a narrow 18"x48" tall mirror that was about 1/16 - 1/8" (I never measured it and it is long since gone) mirror that my wife used in college. It was a good mirror for her, she fit in the scope of it, still would i'm sure. But eventually something will inevitable happen to breakable items...

...Then I come into the picture, time to move her from one place to another between years at university, and it was one of the items that needed storing. I only chipped it then, and it wasn't beyond use, so there it lay in storage for a year or so...

...Finally she moved down to Decatur, Il. with me, and the mirror once again needed to be handled. :rolleyes: I be damned that it survived the trip on a movers blanket laying flat in the truck bed; Now I would have expected this from a stout 1/4" piece of glass, but not this flimsy thing. And there it sit, in the little garage of the place I was renting.

But once more I decided to move as I am not one for not building equity, and went and bought a house south of the area. The mirror made that trip too, and without another chip that I know of. It after years found itself proudly hanging on a wall once more, in the bathroom of my workshop that I had there. Then came the lay off, and the next move... It didn't make it this time. No, I didn't break it, we left it affixed to that wall.

Fast forward through horrible 5 month stay in a drafty apartment in Grandview, MO. (South of Kansas City), and we once again became home owners. Now, I suspect at this point if you are still reading it is because you see the attached picture and it suckered you in?

Okay, SWMBO, and kept happy, requested a full length mirror that she can use, I tried to plead with her that the one she has on the dresser being 36" tall would suffice if I hang it at the right height, but she wasn't having that. So I bought her a new mirror for Christmas, there it sits, up against the wall on the floor, newly adopted dog (5-8 Yr old Corgi mix, Penny) enjoys looking in it, but that didn't matter for my wife, it needs to be on the wall. So, I got it at Christmas, and you ask why now am I getting to this, well when it comes to things around the house, unless she helps it happens as I feel like it, and her birthday is Feb 3, and I felt like getting some points in by getting it on the wall by then. :D

Pic 1 - The Layout on the table design..

So, Finally, as if you haven't already skipped ahead to the pictures, here is whats going on, I will have a 3/8" x 1.5" framing structure of aluminum behind the mirror which is 36"W x 48"T x 1/4"D. The cutouts that follow are out of some of that 1/8" I scored. The So called alternate tree of life will have some turned aluminum pegs on it to facilitate her necklaces I suppose, though wouldn't be surprised it if becomes a bra drying rack. I originally had her Name "Renee" across the top, but she rather ed our last name, so "Finch" it is. The Square cut out that it on the table layout is for another project for her, that I need to take advantage of, since it is for a place to sit the laptop on in front of the treadmill for running entertainment, since running is boring. The owl is again for her, not sure where it will go in the house. The Rotated TSO (Trans Siberian Orchestra) monogram is for me and will likely be mounted offset on pegs on one of my shop walls somewhere.

Pic 2 - Mirror

Pic 3 - Corgi is Penny and other mutt is Buster

Bender 01-24-2015 10:15 AM

Penny is awesome!

I like the owl:)

terry lingle 01-24-2015 11:32 AM

repear after me

"an owl is not a Finch it is a bird of a different feather ":p

looks good

allessence 01-24-2015 11:48 AM

First thing is first.. A woman needs a full length mirror because you have to be able to see from the Hair down to the shoes you are wearing.. It's a complete package..

Going and buying a truck you wouldn't only look at it from the front grill.. No sir E..

You gotta be able to see everything..

Nice design..

Samcord 01-24-2015 12:19 PM

But the mirror only needs to be half as tall as the woman. Otherwise you will see a lot of floor and cieling. That's because the mirror is half way between your eyes and what you are looking at in the light path

weldor2005 01-24-2015 01:53 PM

5 Attachment(s)
Okay, not much time for describing the pics, will get to it later if someone has questions...

weldor2005 01-24-2015 01:58 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Here are some cut quality pictures. Turned out great considering I don't/haven't cut much aluminum and didn't mess with figuring out my cutting kerf. I thought I would need to file to fit, now I just need to file for cleaning/weld prep.

weldor2005 01-24-2015 07:17 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Getting it put together.

Laid out before any welding.

Them welded up and only one piece needs some persuasion.

weldor2005 01-24-2015 07:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bender (Post 618551)
Penny is awesome!

I like the owl:)

Penny is pretty awesome, well behaved and very loving and trusting of a new family at her age after being given up by her family. I think the history is that the previous family took her in as a stray and then as they had children they say she didn't do so well with them and gave her up to the shelter. I'm no dog whisperer, but I feel like children are stupid and parents do not take the time to realize they need to teach children to respect the dog and watch for signs of not wanting to be bothered, or afraid, or other.

The owl, yea, Renee likes owls, and I don't mind that, could be worse my Dad's wife likes Roosters...

Quote:

Originally Posted by terry lingle (Post 618560)
repear after me

"an owl is not a Finch it is a bird of a different feather ":p

looks good

Thank you, and nice that you can get one in with the feather I like it.

Quote:

Originally Posted by allessence (Post 618563)
First thing is first.. A woman needs a full length mirror because you have to be able to see from the Hair down to the shoes you are wearing.. It's a complete package..

Going and buying a truck you wouldn't only look at it from the front grill.. No sir E..

You gotta be able to see everything..

Nice design..

Sam beat me to the explanation. Granite this mirror is technically not a full body length either, but once she stands in front of it she will figure it out. ;)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Samcord (Post 618567)
But the mirror only needs to be half as tall as the woman. Otherwise you will see a lot of floor and cieling. That's because the mirror is half way between your eyes and what you are looking at in the light path

Simple physics really.. :rolleyes: Thanks for explaining it!

cutter 01-24-2015 07:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by weldor2005 (Post 618600)
Granite this mirror

Huh! I didn't know that.