Shop Floor Talk

Shop Floor Talk (https://www.shopfloortalk.com/forums/index.php)
-   Mechanical & Electrical (https://www.shopfloortalk.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=36)
-   -   Shop Door (https://www.shopfloortalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=316)

cutter 07-03-2004 06:24 AM

Shop Door

1 Attachment(s)
Does anyone have any experience with this kind of roll-up garage door? All of my experience has been with the typical residential pull-up style. what are the pros & cons of this one:

Aaron 07-03-2004 07:02 AM

I have one, and it seems to work pretty well.

Franz 07-03-2004 11:40 AM

As long as they don't get hit by anything, they work well. Where you're located insulated doors don't really mean much.

banzaitoyota 07-03-2004 01:11 PM

I have one of those in the small shop. Holds a lot of dust n grit on the inside surfaces. Not vet easy to seal if you have AC in the shop

cutter 07-03-2004 01:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Franz
As long as they don't get hit by anything, they work well. Where you're located insulated doors don't really mean much.

Ah, but then I guess you've never been here in the summer. Drop by about 3 pm tomorrow & we'll go over to the old 40 x 60 x 17ft barn I've been renting for the last 11 years. Insulation is nearly as important to me in the summer as it it is to you in the winter. I can neither heat that building in cold weather nor cool it in the summer. It has finally become intolerable to me to keep paying the rent so I have made it my goal for the rest of the year to somehow get free from it. Once I have my plan a couple of weeks further down the road I think I'll start a cuttershop thread so y'all can help me plan & build a little shop here at my house.

My reason for looking into these doors is to cut down on the shadow effect of overhead doors at night. But if roll-up doors cannot be had with insulation, I'm gonna have to make a less then happy choice.

rusted 07-03-2004 04:31 PM

That style leaves all the shop ceiling space behind the door free for a lift, hoist, overhead lines, hoses, whatever you want to put up there.

I know in my dad's 30x40, with the normal style doors, when we back the trucks into the shop we do it on the sliding door side, since the conventional overhead door means we don't have direct overhead light or can't strap to the beams overhead for a hoist.

Franz 07-03-2004 09:37 PM

Build the damn building HIGHER and run the overhead door straight UP!

Geez, you kids never do any thinkin on yer own.

atucker 07-04-2004 03:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Franz
Build the damn building HIGHER and run the overhead door straight UP!

The only problem with that is then Cutter would have probably twice as much space to build, insulate, heat and/or cool. Course maybe he's lucky and has HOT and COLD running WELLS for heat and AC :D.

Allen T.

cutter 07-04-2004 04:50 AM

Not to mention certain code restrictions. :D And I really don't want a tall building anyway.

realhfd 07-04-2004 12:47 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Hey Cutter, you could check out usdoor.com. I got one of their doors, a 14x10 roll-up when I got my steel building. They claim an option of a foil backed insulation, "C. Foil Backed Insulation: offers an insulating value of R5.24 (U.191) and combined with the foil backing, reduces radiant heat loss." I didn't get this option so couldn't vouch for it but am happy with the door otherwise.