Shop Floor Talk

Shop Floor Talk (https://www.shopfloortalk.com/forums/index.php)
-   Welding (https://www.shopfloortalk.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Thinking About a Used Stick Welder (https://www.shopfloortalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=50758)

threepiece 04-05-2019 07:05 AM

Thinking About a Used Stick Welder

1 Attachment(s)
I may have an opportunity to buy a welder somewhat like the one shown below. I need to check the power requirements but I may be able to return it for a refund if it doesn't work as I don't know anything about it.

I want another welder to use at a build site for some structural welding on a barn I am building. I have no experience with stick welding but am proficient at MIG welding. This welder is bigger and more elaborate than what I had in mind but one can't always choose what opportunity comes their way. Is a welder like this something you more experienced fellows would consider if in a situation like mine?

I'm going to look at it again today, take pictures and possibly develop a purchase agreement.

Thanks to all for any input.

toprecycler 04-05-2019 09:18 AM

That should be a heck of a nice welder. I ran one like that a couple jobs back, mostly for tig welding. Ran a pretty smooth arc, especially for old school transformer machine. Ran a water cooled torch without a cooler. Just had the torch hooked up to a water line that had to turn on, and then the water dumped into the drain.

One time, forgot to turn the water on, and the hose melted inside the torch body. Cut off a couple inches, and put a new tie wire on, and good to go again.

Sent from my iPhone using ShopFloorTalk

LKeithR 04-05-2019 12:10 PM

That will be a constant current machine for sure but I'm wondering if it also runs constant voltage? Can't see from the picture. The CC gives you stick and tig, you'd need CV to run a mig gun. What are they asking for it?

threepiece 04-05-2019 02:14 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Here is a picture of the actual machine at the scrap yard. I have bought many good pieces of equipment from this yard over the years. I am not biased to the likelihood that it doesn't work. Again, I don't know the history but the owner will give me a refund if I don't want it. I can get it for about $75.00

I don't know the input voltage. I can not find a data plate and the power supply line has been disconnected from inside.

There is no torch or cables. I often see welding cable at the yard which I can buy for a reasonably good price.

I don't even know if stick welding is possible on this machine. Can someone confirm this?

USMCPOP 04-05-2019 02:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by threepiece (Post 734188)
... I don't even know if stick welding is possible on this machine. Can someone confirm this?

It's a Lincoln, for goodness sake. Not having stick would be sacrilege. James Lincoln would turn over in his grave. :D

Zoom in on the picture and you can see the switch in the middle of the lower row. Up for inert gas welding, down for stick.

Do you have service with sufficient amperage to run that?

gimpyrobb 04-05-2019 05:36 PM

I would think for that price, you'd be crazy not to try it out. Especially if you have the option to return it!

MetalWolf 04-05-2019 06:13 PM

Buy, it, Buy, it, Buy, It!
ya, won't find a deal like that every day...

toprecycler 04-05-2019 08:14 PM

Buy it. Don’t think twice for that price. Probably have twice that in scrap copper if it does not work.

Sent from my iPhone using ShopFloorTalk

milomilo 04-05-2019 08:50 PM

I am with everyone else here. Great deal.:)

threepiece 04-05-2019 10:00 PM

Well I guess the deciding factor is the input, I need to determine what phase it is. A three phase unit is no use to me. Does anyone know how to tell the phase input without any written information?

Also, I did a bit of research and found it weighs twice as much as I thought (nearly 900 lbs). I suppose I may have to pay about $150.