Shop Floor Talk

Shop Floor Talk (https://www.shopfloortalk.com/forums/index.php)
-   Welding (https://www.shopfloortalk.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Broken Bolt Welding Rod (https://www.shopfloortalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=50172)

flametamer 11-12-2018 04:20 PM

Broken Bolt Welding Rod

What's the name of the high$$ welding rod used to remove broken bolts?

Dt

GWIZ 11-12-2018 04:37 PM

Was it this one?

Quote:

Originally Posted by precisionworks (Post 116678)
Messer MG600 is the only rod I've ever used that consistently removes bolts, studs, taps, etc. Even if they're broken way down in the hole, MG600 will get them out.

That angle can't be as bad as welding out broken exhaust manifold bolts from underneath the car/truck :eek: I don't do that often, and normally charge double for removal - that covers the burns & supplies used. But it really isn't that hard, no more difficult than any other overhead SMAW weld.

Whitetrash 11-12-2018 07:37 PM

Here you go https://shop.rhdaveywelding.co.uk/Sy...Tractalloy.PDF

platypus20 11-12-2018 09:08 PM

I’ve always used the MG 600

MetalWolf 11-13-2018 04:58 AM

Are yall talking burning out the bolt with the rod ?

with cast manifolds and stubborn broken head bolts in cast heads I've always used a torch and blown em out with out damage to the threads.... the chase the threads with a tap easy peasy…..learned that back in high school....

toprecycler 11-13-2018 06:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MetalWolf (Post 724518)
Are yall talking burning out the bolt with the rod ?

with cast manifolds and stubborn broken head bolts in cast heads I've always used a torch and blown em out with out damage to the threads.... the chase the threads with a tap easy peasy…..learned that back in high school....

No, I think they are talking about using a special rod that can build up a broken off bolt enough to either weld a nut on or something to get a pair of vice grips on to turn out. The rod they are talking about can be pushed down on top of the bolt even if it is broke and inch or two below the surface of the part. It has a hard flux that protects the threads from the weld filler, and is super strong.

I usually just tig weld up a tit to be able to get a pair of vice grips on it. Just did this Friday on an aluminum hydraulic motor part. A 10/32 screw broke off flush with the casting and it took about five times of welding a tit on, but it finally came out. I thought the threads were toast, but was able to just put in a replacement screw. Boss was happy. I was working the screw back in forth while watching the lathe make chips on another job.

A lot of times, the heat of welding helps break the screw loose if rusted in too. Also, I will melt candle wax around the screw threads while hot and that usually helps to remove the screw too. Great tips I learned from this forum.

Sent from my iPhone using ShopFloorTalk mobile app

flametamer 11-13-2018 07:48 AM

MG 600 That's it. Thanks

Dt

Farmersamm 11-13-2018 10:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by toprecycler (Post 724519)
No, I think they are talking about using a special rod that can build up a broken off bolt enough to either weld a nut on or something to get a pair of vice grips on to turn out. The rod they are talking about can be pushed down on top of the bolt even if it is broke and inch or two below the surface of the part. It has a hard flux that protects the threads from the weld filler, and is super strong.

I usually just tig weld up a tit to be able to get a pair of vice grips on it. Just did this Friday on an aluminum hydraulic motor part. A 10/32 screw broke off flush with the casting and it took about five times of welding a tit on, but it finally came out. I thought the threads were toast, but was able to just put in a replacement screw. Boss was happy. I was working the screw back in forth while watching the lathe make chips on another job.

A lot of times, the heat of welding helps break the screw loose if rusted in too. Also, I will melt candle wax around the screw threads while hot and that usually helps to remove the screw too. Great tips I learned from this forum.

Sent from my iPhone using ShopFloorTalk mobile app

X2 on the candle wax...…..definitely helps with screwing :devil: So do handcuffs, but sometimes she loses the key:D

Lu47Dan 11-13-2018 12:00 PM

If the bolt is of a large enough diameter, I have drilled almost through the bolt, than welded the hole shut to shrink the od of the bolt, works 90% of the time. The other 10% of the time I can see how that rod would be a lifesaver.
I will have to find a supplier of the Messer rod. A couple pounds on hand might be agood idea.
Dan.

MetalWolf 12-30-2018 11:33 PM

I finely found a place that sells this rod locally, and they will sell it in assorted rod size and is 35.00 a pound I don't know if it is comparable priced to others places but it sounds fair to me considering LWS's wont order it or like to assrasp a guy on the cost of shipping added one place was 43 a pound w/5 pound min. ordr and 38 bucks shipping WTFudge…..

any way question is this rod store well and is it worth keeping on hand
being I use all sorts of methods of taking out broken bolts even use the left handed drill bits but I on occasion come across that stubborn bolt that refuses to come lose or out but by then I've done screwed it all up anyway