Shop Floor Talk

Shop Floor Talk (https://www.shopfloortalk.com/forums/index.php)
-   Welding (https://www.shopfloortalk.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Unscheduled shop project (https://www.shopfloortalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=47376)

camdigger 01-06-2017 10:17 AM

Unscheduled shop project
 
1 Attachment(s)
Some years ago, I built a rear blade for my 35 HP tractor to use for snow clearing and assorted other jobs around the yard.

I used large diameter line pipe for the mold board, and assorted other "inventory".

It worked great for years, but the arms that run back to the swivel are a weak point as I knew they would be. The inevitable happened last time I cleared the yard. I hooked onto a piece of broken concrete firmly frozen into the dirt. The weak point let go.....

camdigger 01-06-2017 10:23 AM

3 Attachment(s)
I built it from scratch, so I should be able to fix it.

I hacked, sliced, and ground off all the broken parts and started over. Some parts needed a little persuasion to get lined up properly, but it all finally went together.

Stay tuned, I will get pics of the finished job and the testing when I clear the yard later today.

milomilo 01-06-2017 10:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by camdigger (Post 678325)
Some years ago, I built a rear blade for my 35 HP tractor to use for snow clearing and assorted other jobs around the yard.

I used large diameter line pipe for the mold board, and assorted other "inventory".

It worked great for years, but the arms that run back to the swivel are a weak point as I knew they would be. The inevitable happened last time I cleared the yard. I hooked onto a piece of broken concrete firmly frozen into the dirt. The weak point let go.....

If you are like many of us now you will over engineer it.:devil:

camdigger 01-06-2017 10:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by milomilo (Post 678328)
If you are like many of us now you will over engineer it.:devil:

Ahhh, but that is where we may differ.

The weak point let go. The broken parts have been replaced with marginally stronger parts out of inventory, and the tow unit survived unscathed to work another day.

This thing worked flawlessly for 15 years until I hooked onto the classic immovable object. I'm thinking emergency release.....

rmack898 01-06-2017 10:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by camdigger (Post 678330)
The weak point let go. The broken parts have been replaced with marginally stronger parts out of inventory,

So now the new, yet to be determined weak point is on the bubble, although it might take 15 or so years to show itself.

Shopmonkey 01-06-2017 05:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by milomilo (Post 678328)
If you are like many of us now you will over engineer it.:devil:

Yeah, probably would stop a D-6 dead in it's tracks. :p

camdigger 01-06-2017 09:59 PM

4 Attachment(s)
If the new weak point takes another 15 years to develop, it is unlikely to be my problem by then. But you give me entirely too much credit. The chances I'll hook onto something solid sooner than that are very high.:eek::o

Here's what it looked like the morning after the repairs were finished and with a fresh set of camera batteries.

I even added an extra inch to the arms to allow the blade to turn around for pushing without interfering with the rear tractor tires like it did before.

A quick visual inspection after the first couple of hours use revealed no cracks or deformities.

It seems to work, so all is well again (with that at least;)).


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:30 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions Inc.