Shop Floor Talk

Shop Floor Talk (https://www.shopfloortalk.com/forums/index.php)
-   Welding (https://www.shopfloortalk.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   TIG "Snap" when starting arc? (https://www.shopfloortalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=33384)

Cavalry 04-19-2012 03:41 PM

TIG "Snap" when starting arc?

I have noticed this on a few videos, but this one is really noticeable.

http://www.youtube.com/user/nielsmil...FmYTtJ0bY&lr=1

I hear a snap like sound (like a old lightswitch) when the arc is started. I have used a few transformer Miller, Linde and Lincoln machines and never heard this noise:confused:

H80N 04-19-2012 04:03 PM

Cav
I did not hear anything out of the ordinary.... but then again my hearing is a little bit damaged from explosives and flight-test/flightline ops.....

and

the TIG machines that I have been using for the last few years are my two Miller inverters.. (Dyn 350DX & 200DX)....:eek:

maybe their noise has become normal to me... will have to dust off a transformer machine and listen...

(I could hear very little over the music in the vid)

BTW... likely that he had it in "Tacking-Fitting" mode for tacking and was activating it with the pushbutton not the roller potentiometer... so it came on AT the set amperage instead of rolling up to it... thus the snap...??? maybe??

from the Miller Diversion 180 Manual..

Tacking/Fitting Feature − Press
and hold On/Off switch for more
than one second to start weld output.
Release switch to end weld
output. This feature is useful for
tacking and fitting, or in other situations
when weld output is needed
for short periods of time.

Cavalry 04-19-2012 06:56 PM

Hmmm... never had a machine with a "tack setting". Maybe your right, that is it? I always just stomp and release the pedal quick. Perfect tack every time:D

All I ever hear on my machine is the transformer groaning and the relaxing trickle of the water cooler bypass.

allessence 04-19-2012 07:40 PM

Mine has a very loud snap when the arc initiates. Like a pop.

Tally ZJ 04-20-2012 07:47 PM

The only time I have heard my Tig "pop" like that was last weekend when I had wet arms and no sleeves on. Needless to say I got my pecker knocked to the floor and a funny feeling for a few minutes after.

I don't really wanna hear it again.

H80N 04-20-2012 08:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tally ZJ (Post 480603)
The only time I have heard my Tig "pop" like that was last weekend when I had wet arms and no sleeves on. Needless to say I got my pecker knocked to the floor and a funny feeling for a few minutes after.

I don't really wanna hear it anymore.

"got my pecker knocked to the floor and a funny feeling for a few minutes after"

OUCH!!!...Don't hold the torch that way.... although it might leave both hands free....:devil:

Tally ZJ 04-20-2012 10:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by H80N (Post 480605)
"got my pecker knocked to the floor and a funny feeling for a few minutes after"

OUCH!!!...Don't hold the torch that way.... although it might leave both hands free....:devil:

Look mah! No hands!

Seriously, I absolutely hate to get shocked! Makes your bones feel weird.

H80N 04-21-2012 08:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tally ZJ (Post 480623)
Look mah! No hands!

Seriously, I absolutely hate to get shocked! Makes your bones feel weird.

Sorry Tally... couldn't help myself....

unfortunately some shocks are unavoidable.... but being careful about elbow and other placement as well a management of sweaty parts in relation to the workpiece/bench/table, will help a bunch........ I still get a good one in my elbow from time to time while doing small parts on the bench... sweaty elbow on the bench can give hours of bad "funny-bone".... :eek:

allessence 04-22-2012 04:40 PM

Tally, H80N.. You guys had me in stitches. Practiacally peed my pants. What happened is not funny so I feel for you pain wise.... It was more the play on words..

Thanks.. ;)

H80N 04-22-2012 04:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by allessence (Post 480875)
Tally, H80N.. You guys had me in stitches. Practiacally peed my pants. What happened is not funny so I feel for you pain wise.... It was more the play on words..

Thanks.. ;)

Jen

bet part of what made it funny is that you might have had occasion to shock yourself too?? once or twice???

:devil: