Shop Floor Talk

Shop Floor Talk (https://www.shopfloortalk.com/forums/index.php)
-   Fabrication (https://www.shopfloortalk.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   Starting an 80 gallon smoker build... (https://www.shopfloortalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=37364)

getatorch 03-09-2013 12:33 AM

Thanks for the pics. Looks like you're on the right track with it. Now we need to se cooked food!:)

FabberMcGee 03-09-2013 04:25 AM

6 inch pipe sounds good to me. You might consider running it all the way to the opposite end and cutting about a 4 inch hole every 6 or 8 inches to let the smoke/heat out. Then you can roll some pieces of tin to fit the outside of the pipe to block off or at least partially close some of the holes. That way you can control what part of the cooking chamber gets the smoke directly and what doesn't. Easier to reach a poker in under the grate and slide some tin around than move the meat all over the place to get the temperature and smoke level you want. You could tack a washer on edge to fit the poker into.

Just an idea to mull over.

allessence 03-09-2013 07:01 AM

Looks like things are moving along.. Humvee I like the looks of that monster.. Is I permanently mounted on that trailer?

Is that a seat I see on the far side or is that a shelf?

Did I mention I really like smoked Salmon..

Dr Bob, I'm not a vegan.. and since the shot gun rule applies you just gotta get in line.. What ever happened to Ladies before Gentlemen..

Oh, yeah.. I'm gonna role out that card. .And heck I'll even through a skirt on and some heels if I gotta.. Not that it takes much. :D

Hummve 03-09-2013 09:42 AM

I like the idea of holes along the pipe for tuning. Now you have the wheels turning in my head to pull that off. I've got an idea now too possibly control the openings from the outside of the smoker. Hard to explain maybe I will draft it up real fast.

The large smoker is bolted to some channel running across the side rails that are reinforced from the frame of the trailer.

Hummve 03-16-2013 05:34 PM

Progress! I've gotten a lot done in the last few weeks just been slow about posting. I decided to go with the 6 inch pipe for the baffle. I am still curious about the distance the stack should be above the cooking surface any input would be much appreciated.

Hummve 03-16-2013 05:53 PM

4 Attachment(s)
Put some temporary legs to get it off the ground and level.

Hummve 03-17-2013 07:49 PM

1 Attachment(s)
A little more done today.

Attachment 103184

Hummve 03-31-2013 10:14 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Haven't had much time lately to get much done but here are some action shots building the burners.

SmokinDodge 03-31-2013 10:37 PM

Holy BTU's Batman!

That is some serious azz burner.

Sent from my iPhone using SFT

allessence 04-01-2013 06:23 AM

I have to confess I'm ignorant when it comes to burners and such..

How long will the pipe burner last if the flame is under it?

How much gas you having to run?