Shop Floor Talk

Shop Floor Talk (https://www.shopfloortalk.com/forums/index.php)
-   Shop & Safety (https://www.shopfloortalk.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=22)
-   -   The End Of The Caveman Shop (https://www.shopfloortalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=46760)

Cavalry 09-30-2016 10:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by milomilo (Post 671082)
Think your gonna get dome before winter?

I will have the dry shell up before then, then onto the inside. Right now its completely gutted. The tractor shed off the back is optional, I will see how the weather holds out.

Cavalry 09-30-2016 11:07 AM

2 Attachment(s)
I just peeled the forms off and am pretty happy with how it came out.

I hired someone to finish the concrete and help me pour (or maybe I helped him?). I nailed the concrete yardage, I had planned a apron on my shed for any overage, and only had less than 1/2 yard remaining. I don't have time or inclination to mess around laying block, so my mason will be back next week to keep this rolling.

gimpyrobb 09-30-2016 11:15 AM

Very nice pour!

Cavalry 10-05-2016 05:13 PM

3 Attachment(s)
I needed to come up with a way to jack this pig up. I rooted though the scrap bin and made 4 of these. They get lagged to the studs in the corners for jacking and cribbing. I also am jacking under the center of the dripedge wall with some pretty scary looking carpentry:rolleyes:, so 6 jacks and up she goes! I did some rough math with some WAG added in for all the shit in the attic I didnt want to remove. I came up with 6000lbs a jack. I started off with 3 ton jacks with the 10's and 20's on reserve. They are just about perfect, one hand jacking that I can feel the resistance when I take too much weight. Its difficult doing the one man band on 6 jacks and not having everything come crashing down on top of me.

Cavalry 10-05-2016 05:17 PM

3 Attachment(s)
My mason showed up with a helper and did pretty good for a days work. I had to bust ass jacking up the main structure so he has block to lay tomorrow.
I wanted to keep the shitter as small as possible but not be knees against the wall. With the wall up I can now envision the space better. Its going to be tight but functional, certainly a round bowl application.

milomilo 10-05-2016 05:30 PM

Gotta admire creativity.:)

Ironman 10-05-2016 11:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cavalry (Post 670251)
After many years of working in caveman like conditions I am finally starting to make some improvements in my home shop.

Boy, I know what you mean. In my shop this is the first time in my life I have ever had a real concrete floor. And a warm shop. I spent years hunting for tools and lost bolts in the grass, cause that was the floor.
I'm so happy I could just shit.:D

It is a clever way to get the whole thing done like that. You just got to jack faster than they can throw block. I expect you will be scouring the neighborhood for timber blocking before this is over.

SmokinDodge 10-05-2016 11:25 PM

That's gonna be the shortest Dutch door I've ever seen.

:)

Cavalry 10-06-2016 04:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SmokinDodge (Post 671497)
That's gonna be the shortest Dutch door I've ever seen.

:)

Or for extremely tall people? All the doors are going to be changed, Minor detail at this point. Going up is presenting all sorts of issues. I am not a fan of windows but its too much work to take them out. I will just have to live with them being ridiculously high. I am still hoping this thing doesn't look goofy on 4 blocks, but I have kind of committed at this point.

Cavalry 10-06-2016 04:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ironman (Post 671496)
I spent years hunting for tools and lost bolts in the grass, cause that was the floor.

I expect you will be scouring the neighborhood for timber blocking before this is over.

I have spent more years working in the dirt than I care to remember:rolleyes: This shop was built as a parking garage not a workspace so it has its challenges. Next years addition hopefully will remedy that completely.
I have already been on the hunt for timber. I had quite the pile of cribbing that was exhausted quickly...I'm about to swing over to my neighbors and liberate his landscaping timbers:devil: