Shop Floor Talk

Shop Floor Talk (https://www.shopfloortalk.com/forums/index.php)
-   Fabrication (https://www.shopfloortalk.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   New Mailbox and swivel post (https://www.shopfloortalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=34036)

allessence 06-23-2012 07:08 AM

New Mailbox and swivel post

5 Attachment(s)
Well, we have lived here 5 years. In that time frame our mailbox has been hit 3 times. 2 times within 3 weeks was the most recent.

The original mail box was built by Contico back in 1977. I loved that box it was filled plastic and was plenty rugged. This last time it completely ripped the door off.

Now, In amazement we live on a straight away and we are 600ft from the main road. I don't really understand why it is such a target.

I decided after the last time to build a mailbox and stand that will hopefully stand up to the abuse.

I started with some 1/4" diamond plate, some 1/4" flat plate, some 3" pipe and odds and ends.

Current after math of mail box. I did put it back up for the time being but it doesn't have a door.

I used Betzy in Friction cutting mode. I was being lazy and didn't want to make a new blade. Once the blade gets dull I usually just turn up the speed and use it for friction sawing. I'm always amazed at how fast friction sawing is.

You can see the cut.

allessence 06-23-2012 07:13 AM

5 Attachment(s)
After the first cut with the AO torch I decided that cutting on Betzy was the best way since clean up would be minimized.

allessence 06-23-2012 07:17 AM

5 Attachment(s)
All the welds were corner welds and were Mig welded, The side panels had complete penetration welds. The top part was TIG welded.

Brian C. 06-23-2012 07:59 AM

Looking good Jen. That should take some punishment all right.

Ironman 06-23-2012 08:01 AM

That box should stand up to a bat. It looks good.
If you are worried about liability as was mentioned here, just post a sign saying "Warning, Reinforced Mailbox Ahead"

used-iron 06-23-2012 09:15 AM

Here the county road foreman will rip out and throw in your lawn any box and post he deems "dangerous". Seems that if its in the right of way he can do so. Only wood posts not over 4x4 are allowed. No "heavy" boxes,etc. After numerous hits by his plow truck's we set a piece of 6" well casing and put a box on it made from 10" pipe.
It didnt last long. The foreman claimed that was dangerous to the public and sent a backhoe and tore it out. county 1 Lee 0
After some research with the county this is the new plan. Post back on my property out of the right of way. Long swiveling arm,and my pipe mailbox. Have to get this done before fall.
Lee tax slave in NYS

rustythe4x4 06-23-2012 09:28 AM

Looks good Jen.

Here we have to go to the nearest town to collect our mail. No rural mail service unless you were "grandfathered" with an existing box.
It sucks because its out of our way, and end up getting our mail once every week or two!:eek:

engineman56 06-23-2012 09:52 AM

Jen, Thats a real good mailbox. At least your mailbox is artistically built. It is well constructed. A paint job on it and it will be looking good.

The same thing happens here too. You should see some of the mailboxes people have constructed here. We have the 10" pipes and the concrete reinforced ones. Some of them are simlar to yours but the steel is alot thicker. Some of them are really heavy. Everyone here has got tired of the mailbox baseball players. One time I saw a Chevy Citaition totaled out on a mailbox post.

Kevin

allessence 06-23-2012 10:00 AM

Thanks guys.

I have learned that Liability no matter what, is the responsiblility of the one the accusations are put against. Walk out your front door, slip on the board that the stairs was made with even if you own the house and you could sue the wood Sawyer, the sawmill and the store who sold you the wood. You might not win but you can sue for anything today.

Someone spits on the sidewalk you could sue him for neglect if you fall and slip on it. :confused:

I asked my mail carrier if there were any issues with making a heavy box. She said I could use anything I wanted to as long as it met height and offset requirments.

This means that the box has to be a certain height up and about 1ft-2ft from the edge of the road. Since the mailbox post has been in since before we bought this house I figure I'll just move it back about 6" and this will make it easy access for our mail person but also a little further off the road. Besides that if I get much further back with the mail box I figure the people will just hit the electric pole in front of the house. I figure the mailbox is actually saving someones life since if they are hitting the mailbox they are just missing the pole.

Used-iron :

It will swivel at the mailbox head and then further down at the base. This should keep it extra safe. And If I have it my way it will automatically go back to it's resting position with auto return.

I'm not sure at this point about what to use for a swivel since my pipe is pretty floppy. I think it's 3 outer and 4" outer pipe. I am undecided.

monckywrench 06-23-2012 10:04 AM

How close can guardrails and Jersey barriers be to the road?

A wood mailbox behind concrete might be approved.