Shop Floor Talk

Shop Floor Talk (https://www.shopfloortalk.com/forums/index.php)
-   Fabrication (https://www.shopfloortalk.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   Anther Trailer Build (https://www.shopfloortalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=52630)

milomilo 11-18-2020 05:46 PM

Anther Trailer Build
 
4 Attachment(s)
This is the trailer I got from a neighbor that was moving free. Pretty light unit but will be handy some times to have a flatbed to pull around the place with the Polaris Ranger or a 4 wheeler. Tires are ST's in good shape. Tore off the plywood rotted deck. It will get a 2x6 deck. Likely will make removable side boards.

Have to add and redo some cross members. Some were 2" out of square with the frame. Someone added grease zerks to the axe dust caps which blew out the inner seals. Have to disassemble, repack bearings and get new seals. The front tongue was bent on one side due to jackknifing the trailer. Some heat and clamps made it right now. The 1 7/8" hitch is twisted so will get a new 2" hitch.

Many pigeon shit welds were ground out and re-welded. A new drop receiver hitch will be need to be made to adjust the hitch so it fits on the lower height of the Ranger.

milomilo 11-18-2020 05:56 PM

2 Attachment(s)
More pics.

digr 11-18-2020 06:14 PM

Looking good!! What kind of clams did you use? Must be hard to come by in your neck of the woods.

Whitetrash 11-18-2020 06:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by digr (Post 764200)
Looking good!! What kind of clams did you use? Must be hard to come by in your neck of the woods.

High Plains "Windeater Clams" :p

milomilo 11-18-2020 06:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by digr (Post 764200)
Looking good!! What kind of clams did you use? Must be hard to come by in your neck of the woods.

Thanks. Fixed.

camdigger 11-18-2020 07:42 PM

Just curious Chris.... My Polaris Sportsman has a 1 1/2" receiver. Hitch adaptors are commercially available. Do the Ranger side by sides not have them? ( I never thought to look at the one I did the fall roundup with a month ago). It would save a lot of work if you could use an of the shelf hitch adaptor.

milomilo 11-18-2020 09:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by camdigger (Post 764205)
Just curious Chris.... My Polaris Sportsman has a 1 1/2" receiver. Hitch adaptors are commercially available. Do the Ranger side by sides not have them? ( I never thought to look at the one I did the fall roundup with a month ago). It would save a lot of work if you could use an of the shelf hitch adaptor.

The 4 wheeler's and the UTV all have receiver hitches. The 4 wheeler's are much lower than a standard p/u and the utv is only half as much lower than a p/u. Expect the Ranger will be used most with this trailer. Looks like a one foot higher hitch on the Ranger.

camdigger 11-18-2020 10:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by milomilo (Post 764210)
The 4 wheeler's and the UTV all have receiver hitches. The 4 wheeler's are much lower than a standard p/u and the utv is only half as much lower than a p/u. Expect the Ranger will be used most with this trailer. Looks like a one foot higher hitch on the Ranger.

Even so, a commercial receiver hitch may save a bunch of work if you can find the right drop.

milomilo 11-19-2020 07:18 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by camdigger (Post 764220)
Even so, a commercial receiver hitch may save a bunch of work if you can find the right drop.

I have several drop and straight hitches I have picked up over the years so likely I will find one in the pile that will work.

Finished up the demo and frame straightening, 2" ball hitch installation, the addition of two cross members and redoing several welds. Also added a torque tube to reinforce the tongue. Tomorrow to flip it back right side up and finish the top side welds. Welding was a real challenge today. 30mph with gusts.:eek:
Went to the local Hardware Hank's today ad used a 50% off coupon on any item under $50. 10 lbs of 1/8" 7014 that listed for $42 so only paid $22.:D

milomilo 11-19-2020 07:21 PM

3 Attachment(s)
More pics.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:56 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions Inc.