PDA

View Full Version : Heating and bending a coil spring

Bountyhunter
08-04-2017, 09:58 AM
Question for the brain trust out there. I have a 1 5/8 od coil spring that I broke the end off. I would like to heat the last coil and bend it into a new hook. Do I need to do anything as to retempering the end. It is for the belt tension on my garden tractor and I am having a terrible time finding a replacement. The spring is 1.650" dia and the wire is .220"

H

LKeithR
08-04-2017, 11:47 AM
Tension spring, I presume? I've seen them with and without hardened eyes on the end. Heating up just enough to allow you to form a small eye shouldn't be a problem...

Walker
08-04-2017, 04:28 PM
IME, the loop will just snap off. Drive a chisel in between the last loop to get it started, then put a piece of flat bar it there, and vice grip it to one on the outside, so the loop you want to bend is in the sandwich. Then bend the whole thing out. Do this all cold.

midmosandblasting
08-04-2017, 05:33 PM
Darn I have been lucky to have hardware stores that had about every spring I could need.

allessence
08-04-2017, 08:08 PM
Funny right.. I mean you can't get the part from the dealer but you go to a hardware store and boom.. there it is..

If you ever have to bend an eye on a spring the advice all ready given is good.. And eye that is bent will snap off over time..

I've put 3 new eyes on the springs for the garage door.. One broke 2X the other once.. Not back for 10 years and 10minutes time..