PDA

View Full Version : Forging a hot punch for a Nail header

allessence
02-15-2017, 08:15 PM
3D version: https://youtu.be/YWDf46dgRt4

2D version: https://youtu.be/Di5jBDMl-fM

This video is part of the series on tool making.. This video edit was done first so here it is..

Ideally the taper should be long.. This keeps the head in line with the shank better as well as keeps the nail from getting stuck in the header because of it tilting to far to one side..

Sadly the lighting is bad.. Lots of these videos get done when I have time or am not to exhausted and of course it's like 2 or 3pm and the sun just sets way to fast..

Especially since it's only been in teens to upper 20's so getting in the portable shop and getting it warmed up with forge takes a little doing..

Questions ask away.. Comments please post..

milomilo
02-15-2017, 10:56 PM
Probably just my PC, but the 3D was out of focus and had some weird colors. The 2D was great and we got to see your face a couple times too. It was nice to put a face to the work. You really looked intense in your work.

LW Hiway
02-15-2017, 11:11 PM
Well, as I live in the 5th dimension, 3d is lost on me. lol

Good job Jen.

cutter
02-16-2017, 12:36 AM
I cannot see the 3d and I cannot find the Toodee version. :confused:

JohnBoy
02-16-2017, 03:49 AM
click the little gear wheel in the bottom right of the video and select 3d, then you have an option to change to 2d

fascinating video Jenn, my only comment would be that it would probably broaden the appeal if you explained what you're actually making.

I've no idea what a hot punch for a nail header is.

midmosandblasting
02-16-2017, 03:50 AM
I did not realize there are so many that can not see 3 d .

cutter
02-16-2017, 04:46 AM
click the little gear wheel in the bottom right of the video and select 3d, then you have an option to change to 2d

The gear offers no option for 3d or 2d.
It loads as 3d & plays a split screen dual image as indicated in the attachment.

JohnBoy
02-16-2017, 05:06 AM
weird. I have another option above autoplay

allessence
02-16-2017, 05:35 AM
The gear offers no option for 3d or 2d.
It loads as 3d & plays a split screen dual image as indicated in the attachment.

Are you on a Mac?

If you are then there is no option and will have to wait for the straight 2D version...

On most PC's the image will come up as an anaglyph 3d image but on MACs it will come as a side by side image which is its true form..

allessence
02-16-2017, 05:38 AM
weird. I have another option above autoplay

Tap on the Anaglyph as this is just another name for 3D..

allessence
02-16-2017, 09:20 AM
Probably just my PC, but the 3D was out of focus and had some weird colors. The 2D was great and we got to see your face a couple times too. It was nice to put a face to the work. You really looked intense in your work.

3D will always be out of focus unless you have a 3d Screen or 3D anaglyph glasses.. It's what allows for it to be in the 3d and offer depth perception.. As each eye will have it's own picture to look at..

Chris, that's funny about seeing my face.. I think you had watched other videos. :) Either that or you are an amazing clairvoyant..

I am an intense person for sure, but the intense look on the other video is because I am not wearing safety gear and squint to protect my eyes from scale popping off, especially being at eye ball level to see the center punch mark.. The eye lashes will catch any of the scale..

While it is frown upon to not wear PPG, I have always worked that way.. I have tried safety glasses in the past and each time I have ended up with something in my eye while wearing them..

Until about 4 months ago.. http://www.clicmagneticglasses.com/

I do have some wonderful eye protection goggles now made by Clic that I do wear as they are the only glasses that I have found that do not fog and offer complete sealing of the top and bottom of the lenses..

allessence
02-16-2017, 10:49 AM

fascinating video Jenn, my only comment would be that it would probably broaden the appeal if you explained what you're actually making.

It's part of the allure.. Not knowing what is being made.. :devil:

Everytime I use youtube I learn something else.. sometimes the videos upload just fine.. other times who's to even say..

A nail header is a tool used for the forging and heading of heads on hand forged nails..

This is actually part of a series and this video was just processed sooner than the main video of making the nail header and nail..

If you look back at some of the threads I posted there is actually one on making a nail header and then if I remember correctly there is a pictorial of it as well..

allessence
02-16-2017, 10:57 AM
both videos have now been completely edited and the links are working correctly at least on a Windows PC..

People on mac's let me know.. Thanks

cutter
02-16-2017, 02:10 PM
Are you on a Mac?

Nope, plain old pc.
both videos have now been completely edited and the links are working correctly at least on a Windows PC..

Yay, got it and watched it. http://www.shopfloortalk.com/forums/images/icons/icon14.gif

Thanks. :)

allessence
02-16-2017, 02:38 PM

Found it.. This will answer all your questions..

http://www.shopfloortalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=29275

allessence
02-16-2017, 02:39 PM
Nope, plain old pc.

Yay, got it and watched it. http://www.shopfloortalk.com/forums/images/icons/icon14.gif

Thanks. :)

Nice..

Funny usually PC's do well with youtube.. Go figure.. The 2D version played well for you?

Norm W
02-16-2017, 02:48 PM
Nails were so hard to come by in frontier colonial times, if some one moved they would take the nails with them, even if they had to burn the house down to get them. Great job on the video.

pepi
02-16-2017, 02:54 PM
Jennifer,

Nicely done, the on the fly explanations are top notch.

Interesting talent forging is

Greg

cutter
02-16-2017, 05:03 PM
Nice..

Funny usually PC's do well with youtube.. Go figure.. The 2D version played well for you?

Yep, sure did.
The 3d played but it sure is distracting to me to have the split screen double video and then you drop the little thumbnailed 2nd angle in & I suddenly had 4 videos running at the same time. :)

Whitetrash
02-17-2017, 10:05 PM
I thought this was a great video because the camera angle really let you get a look at how you work a piece to draw it into a taper. Plus other phases how you use the anvil. The video on hinge forging was excellent. But, it left me wondering can I swing a damn hammer like that anymore? :eek:

allessence
02-18-2017, 07:35 AM
I thought this was a great video because the camera angle really let you get a look at how you work a piece to draw it into a taper. Plus other phases how you use the anvil. The video on hinge forging was excellent. But, it left me wondering can I swing a damn hammer like that anymore? :eek:

Thanks,, feed back like yours is important to me.. I want to make videos I want to watch but also videos others can watch and learn or at least take away something positive..

I recently came to the conclusion that instead of trying to do what others are doing for videos even though popular.. I would just do stuff I'd like to watch being made.. It freed me up so to speak..

The hinges because of the size of stock is the reason for the big hammer.. i used to get paid via quote.. Go under time i make extra money.. Go overtime and I make less money.. Since I don't have a power hammer running.. A really big hammer becomes the key to effect to the center of the mass working on..

In my mind there is no reason for anybody to swing a hammer that large especially with the talent on here both in fabrication and welding and in shop spaces could easily make an electric hammer, air hammer or hydraulic press..

It's probably not the best to show the really big hammers in use because of the "shock and awe" factor but it's just how I have worked and the 6lbs and 4lbs hammers just feel right.. (which by the way is the most important thing.. Use what is comfortable for you)..

Mind you it only took me maybe 10 years of smithing to get comfortable moving them and now I'm so sloppy.. I have some time to get back in shape.. :)

So, don't worry about hammer size.. Just find a size you are comfortable with and you will find your one way to the size you prefer..