PDA

View Full Version : Another Propane Forge

bigb
01-02-2017, 09:34 PM
Just a small one for flat pieces like split crosses, hopefully for hinges and latches which is my goal if I ever get good enough. I put in 2 burner ports not knowing which position I will like best. The 2" of ceramic blanket will be covered with Kast-O-Lite then Plistex. I will attach a metal front just enough to cover the exposed blanket, then I will weld on some angle to hold a couple sliding fire bricks for the front doors. The cast iron back door came from NC Tool. Picking up a convection oven with a broken glass cooktop tomorrow for $10 and will use it to cure the Kast-O-Lite per manufacturer's instructions.

Made several mistakes on the size and on the burner locations and back door height and you can see where I welded the pieces back in and re-cut. The base of angle iron got added after I realized I needed a bit more height.

Matt Shade
01-03-2017, 05:43 PM
Looks good so far. I still haven't finished the satanite on the liner of mine. It will probably have to wait for warmer weather, but the 2 coats I got on are enough to get me by.
Be interested to hear how the kasto lite and plistex work out for you.

bigb
01-07-2017, 06:50 PM
Made and attached the front today then mixed up the Kast-O-Lite and applied in several batches. Will keep it warm overnight for the initial set up, then I have to do some research but I believe it is best to let it cure for a few days to a week before putting in the oven and gradually heating it up.

LW Hiway
01-11-2017, 09:14 PM
Nice build.

bigb
01-11-2017, 10:09 PM
Awaiting front doors, hopefully this weekend

bigb
01-18-2017, 08:56 PM
Got the doors almost finished, plan to cut a small exhaust/viewing hole across the front of the doors then coat them with Plistex. I wanted to try hinged doors over sliding for two reasons, 1. I can see myself fumbling around trying to slide hot bricks and probably breaking them 2. The doors, coated with the IR reflective coating, can be kept ajar as needed for proper exhaust while at the same time reflecting the radiant heat back into the forge. That's my theory anyway. Hope to fire it this weekend.

milomilo
01-18-2017, 11:07 PM
Looking forward to seeing the first project using the forge.:)

digr
01-18-2017, 11:35 PM
Me too

LW Hiway
01-20-2017, 02:55 PM
bigb, could I ask what the depth, bottom width and height of the useful insides area?

Love the door idea. Looks neat and very viable.

bigb
01-20-2017, 09:20 PM
bigb, could I ask what the depth, bottom width and height of the useful insides area?

Love the door idea. Looks neat and very viable.

The height of the chamber starts at 4" at the door but slopes down to less than 3" in the back which was not intentional but that's the way it happened as the Kast-O-Lite was not easy to get perfect. The floor is just under 8 inches wide and ten inches deep. A very rough calculation of cubic inches is approx 325.

My work pieces are flat so it will do fine for me, maybe someday I'll need more height but for the life of me I can't think of any reason I would right now, but then I'm a real greenhorn at this stage. I do have a coal forge for anything that won't fit.

bigb
01-21-2017, 09:55 PM
Got it fired up today with good results, reaches temp fast and heated the work fast. Just need to learn how to optimize the flame.

GWIZ
01-22-2017, 04:37 AM
Nice, good job.