PDA

View Full Version : Rutland Fall forgotten trades day

allessence
09-26-2016, 09:05 PM
So, just a recap as this past saturday I went and took the new trailer to the Rutland Historical societies " Forgotten arts day"..

The trailer was flawless.. I made a hook, 2 nails, and a large 2 tine hot dog toasting fork.. I also worked on the set of hinges from the previous demo day in hardwick but didn't get very far as I moved onto making the fork..

Also made the rod finials in the blacksmith diamond pattern for the work bench drawers..

It was a wonderful day with a light breeze and good temperatures..

The flow of people was good and I was amazed at how many kids stopped by with really good questions and the desire to watch..

I could hear the parents asking if they could move on and the kids would say" No lets stay a little longer"..

I had a group of young girls camped out at the back gate of the trailer for about 30minutes just hanging while i finished the fork..

Just so many young girls wanting to watch.. I was so delighted..

I did get video of the making of the fork and will edit it at some point..

Bender
09-26-2016, 09:12 PM
The trailer is definitely super cool:cool:

toprecycler
09-27-2016, 09:29 AM
Great to see all your hard work pay off! The trailer looks great and I am sure that most of the spectators were impress too! ( I said most, because there are always some that can't be no matter what.)

Brian

allessence
09-27-2016, 09:58 AM
The trailer is definitely super cool:cool:

Thanks, I certainly enjoy working in it.. Helps me remember why i started this trade way back. :)

Great to see all your hard work pay off! The trailer looks great and I am sure that most of the spectators were impress too! ( I said most, because there are always some that can't be no matter what.)

Brian

Big time pay back.. No sore knees, or sore back and when I hit the metal I get that wonderful mushing of the metal vs beat, beat, beat, heat, beat, beat , beat oh, were almost half way there.. Delightful..

Over on the IFI site they said it was to enclosed but otherwise most approved..

I did take tally and asked if everybody could see ok and I even asked the kids and I got a resounding yes. So I'm very satisified..

Only thing I would do different is add the extra 4ft for a full 14ft long.. I could use coal storage and somewhere to put the boxes of completed items and have more room around the big vise..

I'll get the trailer weighed and if I can add the extra 4 feet in a practical manner I will, maybe, in the future.. :)

JWS
09-27-2016, 10:01 AM
Jennifer, wonderful trailer!!! I assume you put the stack on after arriving at the event. How long do you have to wait to let it cool to take down? People like you will "spark" the imagination of the youngsters and allow them to dream and realize they can do unimaginable things. Great job!!

Ironman
09-27-2016, 03:28 PM
It's been said, but what a nice impressive workspace. And it was a long hard project to complete, but look at it now.
Just for kids to be able to understand that metal is a plastic substance will change their whole vision of what can be accomplished. Everything we see and hear today is a "can't do" and every regulation is there to support it, so it pleases me to see a demonstration of what is possible.

allessence
09-27-2016, 08:33 PM
Jennifer, wonderful trailer!!! I assume you put the stack on after arriving at the event. How long do you have to wait to let it cool to take down? People like you will "spark" the imagination of the youngsters and allow them to dream and realize they can do unimaginable things. Great job!!

Thanks,

I put the forge out by just laying the remaining coke on the side of the forge. lift the anvil up, pull up the 4 jacks and then climb up on the roof and lower the stack.. maybe 10minutes after the fire is out..

I to am a kid at heart and still look at stuff like. I can do that.. :) I dread the day that changes..

It's been said, but what a nice impressive workspace. And it was a long hard project to complete, but look at it now.
Just for kids to be able to understand that metal is a plastic substance will change their whole vision of what can be accomplished. Everything we see and hear today is a "can't do" and every regulation is there to support it, so it pleases me to see a demonstration of what is possible.

It is wonderful and it's been lots of fun to be in a good work space again..

Being involved with all the Farrier work it boggles my mind how many parents don't let their kids do this or that or say you can do this but only till I say you can't..

I came from a very loose family, we had rules but they were flexible.. Both my brother and myself turned out ok and i worked really hard at, blowing my arms off, falling off sky scrapers, and holding my breath longer than I could underwater.. When it's your turn... :devil:

USMCPOP
09-28-2016, 11:59 AM
Jen, that trailer is great!

Could you put one or two swing-out bins or shelves in the back to hold a coal bucket or parts bin? Open rear, swing out over bumper, out of the way. Sort of like an old swing-out stool. Do a Google image search for that. Swing-out shelves are about the same idea. Some swing and the seat/base folds up.

allessence
09-28-2016, 07:10 PM
Jen, that trailer is great!

Could you put one or two swing-out bins or shelves in the back to hold a coal bucket or parts bin? Open rear, swing out over bumper, out of the way. Sort of like an old swing-out stool. Do a Google image search for that. Swing-out shelves are about the same idea. Some swing and the seat/base folds up.

Great ideas. This is why I love coming here.. Brilliance happens in the craziest places..

I like it.. Not quite sure how I would impliment it at this time frame. I'll have to think about it and how to make it work with bagged coal.. the bags are 50lbs so lifting it into a bin then lifting it out to use at the forge seems daunting right now, but i'm also tired..

I can see setting up a shaving horse this way though which I'd love to have mounted on the back deck..